Thursday, 28 August 2008

Ginger's quilt top is.....

...FINISHED!!! And the backing too (I am now waiting on the batting to arrive and I can put the whole thing together). I bought wool batting. I thought I'd give it a try, having only used cotton before. Any views on wool? Tips? I saw some alpaca, which got me all excited, but when I asked the shop the lady there said alpaca was a bit thick and she'd go for wool (I read into that as alpaca's a bit rubbish, don't be sucked in by the cute picture). Anyway, if you are in need of batting (and helpful advice) go to ASding's, they were really helpful (I shall use them now, rather than cotton patch, which are a bit slow on delivery, and not that helpful either for novices like myself)

This morning there was glorious sunshine, I should have taken pics then, but foolishly I left it until the sky went grey, and the rain started pootling down, so I apologise for the terrible quality...but you get the general idea, don'tcha?


This is the backing (which I think would make a rather lovely quilt in itself)....



And this is the finished quilt top...



Now I have to quilt it. I was thinking more along the lines of tying it and sewing some buttons on as well that I bought from Sarah's shop, which was suggested by Queen Lucy (I think I might just email you, Lucy, to get you to clarify what you meant...just in case what is in your head is marvellously superior to what is in mine) ANY HAND TYING TIPS WELCOME - hint hint!

Whilst I am on a quilt tip, Miss G (she had a fab party on Saturday, by the way, the weather was glorious, all of her friends brought swimming cozzies and we ran about in the garden all day long. It was brilliant!!!) has requested a minky backed quilt for herself. So, she's getting one for Christmas. I cut out the squares and sorted them out into rows, sewing them together is the next job.
Here they are, all stacked up and ready to go...



And with the left over squares I made two cushion covers, with pockets in (slightly wonky pockets, I wasn't concentrating on sewing, the oven was on and I was trying to cook dinner at the same time) for Christmas presents (oh, so organised). I might have to try and disguise the wonky pockets...or maybe just pretend they were supposed to be like that? If I fill them with treats it won't matter anyway. Kids are easily bought with sweets and cheap plastic toys...well, I am...




PLUS...I got into the cushion making lark and whipped up this one (using entirely scraps) for one of Ginger's friends who is having a birthday party next week. This time I did the pocket differently, and it's far better. Practise makes perfect, eh?




Trash's raiders of the box turned up last week, I can't find my pics....I'll do it next time (when I have found them hiding in some folder they shouldn't be in) I am a very useless Monkey. Hopefully it should have turned up at it's next home by now....

22 comments:

Tine said...

Your hexagon quilt is beautiful! What a lot of stitching!!!!
I agree with you, the backing would make a very nice quilt in itself :-)
How are you going to finish the edges?
The pillowcases are sweet! And what a great idea to put pockets on them. Don't worry about the wonky, once the kids have crammed 50 toys into those pockets, they will be wonky nomatter how they looked to begin with :-D

Thanks for the link to the store! Cottonpatch is a bit slow :-(

I'm new to quilting too, so I won't give batting-advice.
I have only tried one kind of batting, that's the poly-cotton blend. Seems to work just fine. Until now, I have used fleece....

Katy said...

Tine, thanks for your lovely comments! I am going to square the whole thing off, and bind it like a normal quilt, The binding will be that small black and cream dot fabric (wee play dots) that I used for the 'paths'. Probably...unless I get some brainwave and decide upon something else (although since the fabric ban it has to be something I already own, so probably the dots!)

trashalou said...

Loving all your triffic quilting work there Missus.

Have spoken with the latest recipient of THE BOX today and it has been shuffled through already in a cursory manner. Closer perusal all happening tonight after work!

megan said...

wow - you are SOOOO prolific!!!
well done on ginge's fantastic quilt, it's fantastic.

Lucy Locket-Pocket said...

Hi Katy - that quilt is fab! But I really don't care if there IS a fabric ban - you NEED to bind it in something red! Well, that's what I think anyway! All I did with buttons is stitch them on randomly through all three layers - I've never managed to quilt (even with my so-called "Quilter's Companion" sewing machine) - I always end up with great rucks and ripples so buttons are fab as far as I'm concerned!!!

The back of the quilt is stunning and it will be fun to be able to use it either way round.

Love the cushions too! Off to check out the shop link seeing as I'll have birthday spending money soon.

Lucy xx

picciolo said...

wow you have made so much! The quilt is really gorgeous, have fun with the quilting, which is the fun part I think. And what a good idea to have pockets on those cushions, I love the fabrics you have used
: )

Cass said...

I love your quilt and I especially love your cushions with the pocket, looks perfect to me

our shabby cottage said...

Your quilt is beautiful - a perfect accessory for Christmas with the colours! The cushions with pockets are a great idea too!
Kathryn.

fiona said...

love the quilt Katy! i would quilt rather that tie i think it would be quicker.i love the cushions wonky rules!

dottycookie said...

If those pockets are your idea of wonky then I hang my head in shame - most of my patches look like that ;-)

All very lovely - and lucky present recipients!

the pesky bombolino said...

You're being too picky with the cushions- they look mighty fine to me! And the quilt is just gorgeous- it must feel great to complete the piecing on something that big.

LINDSAY said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog Katy. Your creations are adorable :)

CaireP said...

ooo, that's ace! I'm so jealous! :)

Chloe said...

My word, that quilt must have taken so much time to do! Its absolutely gorgeous.

I love the cushion covers too.

AnnieB said...

oh my god I can't believe you've finished that hexagon quilt already (well, almost) bloody hell, and it looks FAB. and the back too. You are a miracle worker. Can't wait to see it totally finished. Am open jawed with amazement...

mellyandrosie said...

That quilt is utterly adorable!!!! You must be so proud and no matter how you quilt it I am sure it is going to be magnificent!! You go girl!! =)

susan said...

oh gosh, such pretties. your quilt turned out gorgeous, cant wait to see it after its tied. i think the buttons idea sounds adorable. the cushions are sweet too. i have been hearing wool batting mentioned a bit lately, so i dont know if its the latest thing or what..but there are those that are using it. boy that was helpful, not!

GUGAW said...

wow beautiful!

Apryl said...

wow.. that quilt looks fantastic.. and a love all the cushions... and that bit of fabric that looks like newspaper.. I want some!

Lesley said...

Oh my - you're so productive!!I love your hexagon quilt and the cushion covers are beautiful.

Note to self - stop mucking about and finish your quilt!

I've only used cotton batting so I'll be interested to see how the wool works out.

xxx

- said...

The quilt looks wonderul, really nice.

Anonymous said...

^^ nice blog!! ^@^

徵信,徵信,徵信,徵信,徵信,徵信社,徵信社,徵信社,徵信社,徵信社,

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!