Monday, 8 February 2010

patchwork puppy




I've been trying to come to terms with the mess that is my fabric cupboard(s), and the biggest bane of my life - my scrap box. After making the spiderweb quilt (before someone asks, no, it's still not quilted) I thought that I would surely have less scraps, but no - somehow, in some way, they breed and the box was getting beyond stupidly full. I would always rather go for 'real' fabric than sit there wading through scraps. I'm lazy, I'm all for the easy life, I can't be bothered. Impatience and instant gratification wins every time - I'll cut into that nice big piece of fabric, thanks very much.
But, whilst moaning about my scraps and how I was getting ready to just dump them Brioni said 'hang on, let's do something with them instead - because mine are getting out of hand too'. So we are, but more on that at a later time, because it's slightly secret.

Then, on Friday, whilst I should have been doing the slightly secret thing I got distracted by a flickr group I joined a while back, then forgot about. This group. And I made me a scottie. Actually, not for me, it's part of the slightly secret thing too, but because I can't show you the slightly secret thing I'll show you this instead.

But wait - last night I was thinking to myself 'I must start that single girl quilt before it eats my brain away' and I went to visit the woman I would like to be best friends with, or just stare at, or hang out with, or visit, or just say hello to one day and did you see what she has been making too? YES - a scottie dog, and she has a free pattern. Hoorah. So go make one for yourself. I'm going to make more. But I really must get the dresden plate to the quilters, and finish the slightly secret thing.

Until then I shall fawn over Denyse Schmidt's scottie dogs and smile ever so slightly to myself, because there is something really quite lovely about a dog made out of squares, especially when he is lying on your bed.....

26 comments:

Stephanie said...

Cute. I gave it a go this weekend but mine ended up a pillow instead of a stuffed scottie.

grendelskin said...

Oh, he came out so cute! I made a large one from a different tutorial - see my blog entry (http://grendelskin.blogspot.com/2010/01/2009-gift-crafting-part-ii.html). Ended up like 18 inches long and my niece really loved it!

Purple Paisley Patch said...

Very cute dog! You're such a tease with your "slightly secret project", c'mon what is it? You could always bundle up your gorgeous scraps and sell them on etsy - just give me a heads up, kay? :-)

two hippos said...

Love you patchwork puppy! And the single girl quilt is fabulous too, fab project for this snowy weather.

trasha said...

Oh! My! Stars! I love that so much. Am off to check out the free pattern.

Sylvie said...

Oh! It is soooo cute!
Now I want to make a Scottie Dog myself. As if I did not have enough wips...
And I am very intrigued by your 'slightly secret' too... You know how to write a post on your blog! ;)

Heather said...

The dog is very cute.

flossyblossy said...

I LOVE that doggie!!!! I told Curly Boy about it and he almost talked me into making one this weekend.
I should have been working on the 'slightly secret project' but instead i got side tracked by the Pillow Talk Swap.
I will get back to it tonight though. I will. Promise.
*said with my fingers tightly crossed behin my back!* :-)

Tracey said...

Seriously a cute project. I think I may have to make one. Just don't tell my dog it is a Scottie. He would be highly offended I didn't use him as my muse :)

Poppyprint said...

hmmm, I bet with a little extension of squares in the body and the tail going out back instead of up, I could make a fairly respectable dachshund, what do you think? He is adorable. I 'm with you 100% on yardage over scraps. Bloggers have turned me into a scrap hoarder, but I have yet to use them for much of anything. I've even been saving selveges, which usually go in the bin. Solution: more storage. Must go shopping. Interest is piqued for slightly secret project!

picciolo said...

so what is this 'slightly secret thing' you tease!! Love the dog though, he looks just the right size for a hug
: )

comfortstitching said...

Love the pup, at least he won't bark insanely when anybody wanders on past your house. And I adore the fact that you have these slightly secret things!!!! in the era of all revealing blogs it is GOOD to keep some things to yourself!!!

Esther said...

He is really sweet! Cute but possible fr a boy i think as well which may come in useful given I still seem surrounded by boys!

Rachel said...

What a cute doggie!! I'm intrigued about your secret project... don't tease us for too long, please.
Love the tights, by the way!
Rachel xx

Lorraine said...

I think that dog is very cute !!
What could this secret thing be ???

fi said...

so cute katy!what about a mini spidy quilt for the puppy!you know i will take your scraps off you hands?yer i'm good like that, here to help!;)

One Flew Over said...

Adorable! VEry, very sweet x

Lucy Locket-Pocket said...

Now he is cute! I may have to try that pattern some time too! Lucy x

littlebluecottage said...

That is SO. CUTE!

Tina

Louise said...

Oh I'm in LOVE!!! I think I need to make one too. And all the jaunty neck ties/collars - too flipping cute for words!! Hmmm secret stuff - excellent!

monda-loves said...

Puppy Love! So cute. scraps are fab - you can do lots of lovely things with scraps - they make good brooches too.

Monda
x

Diane said...

So adorabe!

joanie said...

Cutest thing I've seen all day - no, all week, no, for years! I love your fabric selection.
I'll take your gorgeous scraps off your hands anytime!!! Put them in your shop :)
BTW, I put you on a "happy things" post today.

clare's craftroom said...

What a very cute scottie ! You're right scraps do breed !

Borboleta Serrana said...

Adorei este cão e este blogue:)))
Sofia

Mari said...

I love your Scottie dog. Have been meening to make one for long..think I will start now.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!