Thursday, 25 March 2010

cursing the curves




This quilt crawled into my head a little while ago and has refused to leave. Not until I make my own, at least.
The trouble is, I'm not very good with curves. Or at least I can't get them to lie as flat as I would like, or to not pucker up at all. On a few of the blocks I've made so far you could be forgiven in thinking I'd sewn a ruffle on the seam there's that many puckers. Still, Amy assures me her's puckered too. So if it's good for the goose and all...

PLUS - this is going to be my absolute saving grace - Amy says that in her template she didn't include seam allowances so the pieces shouldn't actually fit together all that well anyway. Ha! GENIUS. I can blame the template for my shoddy stitching. Thank you Amy. You are a wonderful woman. My plan is to get this little beauty (the top) finished by the end of the weekend. So I can hang it up on the door to my fabric closet along with the other tops that need basting and quilting. (One of them was supposed to be for my friend's little boy's birthday....just before Christmas. Maybe I'll get it done by his 2nd birthday? It's a good thing she's a good friend)

This set of fabrics (by Jay McCarroll) I've had in my stash for too long. It was originally planned to be used for a quilt for Ginge, but he doesn't like them, so this is my practise quilt before I start another one for real. Not sure what the 'real' quilt will be made out of. Maybe a random selection of favourites.

I'm 16 quarters in - in one morning - that's pretty good going, isn't it? I had to go to school for a parent/teacher consultation too, and to get some bread from the local shop. The cursing has given way to happy humming. Except when I prick my fingers on one of the 3 billion pins I've got in place to try to stop the puckering issues. They're not helping much. But ruffles are cute, right?

If you want to make a roundabout quilt like Amy's, she has the tutorial on her blog right here. There's a flickr group for more inspiration here.

15 comments:

bakeandsew said...

Have you read this: http://pinkchalkstudio.com/blog/2010/02/26/cog-wheel-quilt-by-denyse-schmidt/
She goes into detail about how to sew them - I haven't tried it cos me and curves don't go together!!

grendelskin said...

I've read a few tutorials but haven't yet tried curved piecing. Yours don't look bad, you can just quilt them heavily if need be! ;D I used that fabric to make a couple of doll quilts, my kids and I call it the Psychobunnies. Love the bitty ants too! I have every confidence that you'll end up with a terrific quilt.

Poppyprint said...

curves...blech. Have you tried clipping little triangles out of the seam allowance after sewing, like when you turn curvy bits on softies and sleeves and such? Maybe that would get them to lie flat? Good luck and good on you. I am decidedly anti-curve.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Can't wait to see your work on this. I find curves irresistible but I hate working with them.

two hippos said...

Looking forward to seeing more of this quilt as it grows.

picciolo said...

oh those curves look hard!!
: )

Purple Paisley Patch said...

Have you heard of the curve master foot? It's supposed to make sewing perfect curves a breeze.
http://www.curvemaster.biz/

Do a search on google and you'll see that everyone is raving about this gadget.

I love the Jay McCarroll fabrics, they're sooooo cute. :-)

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for passing on the 'curved quilt craving.' Just what I need, another project (LOL!). Good luck and have patience! I'm sure your quilt will turn out beautifully!

comfortstitching said...

What is it about quartered circle quilts at the moment? I've had an idea for one going round and round (what else would an idea for a CIRCLE quilt be doing?!) for days now.... Just look what happened when you started that spidey, I ended up starting one, then there was the string which you know I have 'in production' and now the circle in 4 parts............... it's only a matter of time.

P.S. my addiction is not with comma's,,,, but these babies..................................................................

Lorraine said...

I'm glad you're giving this a trial for us , I have also been wondering if I could attempt some circles .
Has anyone used the "curvemaster" foot ??
love that crazy Jay McCarroll fabric

clare's craftroom said...

Can't wait to see it all done .

Duzza Bear said...

Okay, it's too late now, but next time you do circles, you have to try it this way with freezer paper. I'm in the middle of doing a quilt with 9 pieced full cirles, and it's working really well.

http://www.dioramarama.com/2009/02/tutorial_easy_pieced.html

One Flew Over said...

I nearly convulse when I think about curves!

rachelmp said...

Good luck! I bought a drunkards path block template and use that to make circles. I can't wait to see how yours turns out.

2ndAvenueStudio-Rachel said...

I have used the "elizas backporch templates and Love them... I made a quilt for the acommonplace quilt a long using the templates and have used them several times. I love Curved piecing...
I have the curve master (didn't like it) and have tried several techniques ...
I slightly reduce the pressure of the foot from 50 to about 45.
I put the pie slice on top always or "bulk on the bottom".
I sew about half way then put two pins in and ease the rest.


Unfortunately, the directions amy gave on the first round results with puckers. If you have a chance to check out a old fashioned drunkards path template and see how the sew line is a quarter inch from each edge but the 2 edges don't match...
or hmmm.... the template Amy put out should be the sew line not the cut line.... does that make better sense?
any way, .... yours looks great and I can't wait to see it all together.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!