Tuesday, 16 March 2010

shopping, sewing, planning

The quilts exhibition at the Victoria and Albert museum, London opens this weekend. If you get a chance to visit, do so. It's going to be amazing. A history of quilting in the British Isles, spanning the past 300 years. Personally, I need no real reason to visit the V&A, it's my favourite museum in London, and although I can't give a definitive answer really, having not made a comprehensive study of the museums of the world, I am going to claim it as the best museum in the world. Someone prove me wrong, I dare you. It's got something for everyone, and it's just over the road from the Natural History museum, but the queues are always really short, there's never any crowding. It's, quite simply, perfect.

One of the excellent points is the shop. Right now you can buy fabric there. Special Liberty x V&A collaboration fabrics. Quilting cotton weight too - even better! Considering some of these fabrics are inspired by very, very old quilts it's amazing they look so fresh and modern.
I can't actually untie the ribbon and spread them out for a better view, they are too lovely to be touched right now - so if you want to see them better you will have to go for a visit. Or check out the shop. They ship internationally. Go on, you know you want to.....



I've been busy sewing for a friend's baby to be...you can't see anymore just yet, she might be peeking...



And I've also been thinking about starting on a very special quilt. My first commission, don't you know - although I'm not sure I like to call it a commission, it makes it sound all very grand and proper. It's just a 40th birthday quilt for Trash. A favour for a friend quilt? Yep, we'll call it that.
The fabrics have arrived, all pre-washed (thank you Missus Trash), and ironed. Some are very lovely. Some are really quite scary (well, they are - I think she'll agree with me). Now I have to cut all this lot up into squares and sew 'em back together again and hope the finished result is fitting for it's task of keeping small children, not so small grown ups and dogs warm.

I'll keep you posted!



Please don't forget about the quilt auction for Chile over on Brioni's blog. It's open until the weekend. Please dig deep, and thank you so much to those of you that have already bid. You make my heart sing.

16 comments:

Lucy Locket-Pocket said...

Oooh I've got some fabric for Trashy's quilt too! She texted me your address but my phone ate it! Could you send it to me again please?

And huge congratulations on your gorgeous auction quilt! I wish I could put in a bid for it too but it is just beyond our finances at the moment :o( I hope it raises loads of money!

Lucy x

two hippos said...

I am waiting until Friday to check out the lovely v & a fabrics and you are quite right it is simply the best museum in the world!

Dorothee said...

You are getting me into trouble ... I want that book and the fabric. Apparently, hubby is planning a "surprise trip" for us to go but it seems to not work out according to plan. But one can still hope!

Elizabeth said...

Love the sneak peek at the baby quilt! Wish I were closer and could visit the quilt show at the museum.

Apryl said...

I saw an ad for the exhibition in a magazine the other day and the first thing I thought of was 'I'll bet Katy will be going there' .. and I was totally right! fab fabric to play with though.. when you get up the nerve to untie them!

Anita said...

Thank you for letting us know about the exhibition. My family and I will be in the London area later this month for two weeks. I've already put in my request with my husband to try to visit the V&A (I love this museum!).

~Michelle~ said...

*cough cough* enabler *cough*

alobsiger said...

Argh and stuff. Those are beauties. Had to go enlarge them on your untied Flickr pic. You know, one looks at them and tries to dismiss one or two or three just to be "good." It is impossible. It would be like breaking up siblings or a litter of puppies. Do you know what else I saw while over at the shop? Crochet medallion scarves. I was just having a fit over these wee colorful medallions while watching Bright Star. ::sigh::

Doris said...

Katy,

I used to be a Museum Curator (I have an MA degree for that, and everything) and I have to agree, that the V&A is quite possibly the best museum in the World. The last time I was there was in 1996 for the William Morris exhibit, and I'm kicking myself for not having an up-to-date passport so I can get there before July to see this!!!! I may have to order the exhibit catalog...

Your baby quilt looks like fun!

wishes, true and kind said...

I love the V & A, too! Oh, how I would love to see that exhibition!

One Flew Over said...

Am now heading to the V&A shop...ahhh...better open the purse [again] ;)

amy smart said...

I read about the quilt exhibit at the V&A and wished I could go. (Perfect combination, really: the lovely V&A and quilts. Could it get any better?)

I'm very fond of OLD quilts and I'm sure they'll have some beauties. Will they let you take photos for us yanks too far away to attend?

Griffin said...

I'm with you, I love the V&A. Not sure it's the best museum tho', I am also a big fan of Tate Britain and the National Gallery... and that's just here.

The Musee d'Orsay and the Musee Marmottan are fabulous and I really want to go to the Musee de la Mode (Fashion Museum) in Paris too.

Sigh... April in Paree...!

Paula Ozier said...

I am another one who believes the the V&A is the best museum in the world. One of my favourite books as a child was Ballet Shoes and in it they talk about walking to the V&A on rainy days so it always seems like a dreamy place to visit. My favourite part is the textiles study rooms, in fact my 'bugs' range of designs come from sketching done there. I can't wait to visit the exhibition!

shequilts said...

Congratulations on the commission. Very proper, indeed. :)

Why oh WHY did you post a link to the shop for those gorgeous fabrics?

sewkatiedid said...

Lovely. Wish I could stroll the quilts with you! Would love to buy the Liberty packs. I checked out the Target stuff and to me it was trash to their quality reputation except for the stationary and kitchen stuff.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!