Thursday, 15 April 2010

urges



Do you ever get the overwhelming urge to do something? Even if you have a ton of other stuff to do that should be more important?
I'd bought a set of 13 fat quarters of Jennifer Paganelli's new line, 'So St Croix' and it arrived yesterday. It was supposed to go into the stash as a stand by in case of new baby girls, or small girls that might have birthdays. It didn't even make it to the fabric closet. I opened the envelope and before I'd taken it out of it's bag I'd got the cutting mat and rotary cutter poised and was ready for slicing.

A few hours later I had a quilt top. Boom.

What makes it even better is that I had 3 yards of a previous Sis Boom fabric already hoarded away for the backing. So I have the top, the backing and the wadding packed, along with pins and my sewing machine. I'm off on a trip tomorrow popping down the motorway visiting someone really lovely to feature in a future issue of Fat Quarterly and then on to my mum and dad's so I can go to a baby shower on Saturday. In those in between moments I'll be quilting that little beauty so I can at least dream I'm in St Croix.
I tend to overlook simple patchwork squares in favour of more complicated blocks or half square triangles (which are probably my favourite go-to type of block). It's no wonder people love these so much, it honestly took me 3 hours tops to get this thrown together. Obviously I stopped and started through the day, but that was my total cutting and sewing time, I reckon.

Not that anyone needs it, but if you want me to write up a tutorial then just holler. You know, with the math crap in (because that's the boring bit, isn't it?) Let me know. I am here to serve ;)

Be sure to keep checking in, both here, over at FQ Towers and the other FQer's blogs (you can find a list of them on the FQ blog) for more details on the e-magazine, when it's coming and what will be in it. It's VERY exciting.

Someone asked about whether it was a UK or US publication - well, neither. It's online, it's downloadable, and I suppose we're a multi national publication - with Australia, Germany, the US and the UK involved. I am seriously excited to tell you more, but that's all coming soon, I promise.

17 comments:

Cathy said...

JP's new line is gorgeous, love what you have done with it. Really looking forward to the inspiration coming our way from wonderful international bloggers. V excited re fq! xo

two hippos said...

I love the Sis Boom fabrics, so bright and cheerful. Have a great time away too!

Meg said...

I wasn't sure how I felt about this particular line (I am a diehard Casey Scroll fool), but now that I see it all together like that, some of those prints are calling my name! Lovely!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh gosh that is so pretty, good for you not to save it but use it for yourself. There is a lot to be said for the good old 9 patch, one of my favorites, but you are right, I do not use it enough!
Sounds like a fun weekend, enjoy!!! Can't wait for the FQ!!!!

quiltygal said...

Cant wait till the Mag arrives enjoy your trip

alobsiger said...

What are you talking about? Fabric urges? I don't understand. Cutting it right away....wha...? It is beautiful -- you did a lovely job with your new fabrics. See how happy they are to be used right away? (I'm taking notes...) Safe, happy travels! Don't stick yourself when the car hits a bump (and/or don't quilt while you are driving). Have fun! All this anticipation of FQ! Can't wait!

Make Do & Mend said...

Ohhh so exciting awaiting FQ, go UK quilting girls!!

Lily Boot said...

mmmmm .... lovely quilt top! I too am discovering the pleasure of simple shapes - and that fabric is gorgeous. I have one fat quarter of it - the piece with the dark blue background, and the paisley white, yellow and pink design on it. I am thinking a new cushion for the sofa. Your FQ magazine sounds FABULOUS! I cannot wait for its arrival. I checked it out the other day and it looks so my cup of tea. Enjoy your baby shower. :-)

Gina said...

Oh, soooo gorgeous. Please do a tutorial with the math crap in!!! I'm just getting my head around the quilting bizzo and would love to know how to confidently turn 13 FQs into stunning quilt in 3 hours (well, give or take depending on how many toddler-related interruptions are in there :))

Diana said...

How exciting with the e-magazine. The quilt is just lovely. I'm especially loving that blue/green fabric - just gorgeous. I'm always doing other things when I should be doing more important projects or orders. I call it productive procrastination.

Poppyprint said...

Well done, giving in to the urge! Great results, I'd say. Have a fun trip - how very organized of you to take quilting along.

Louise said...

Lovely Katy! nd you have just reminded me I need to quilt one of those I made ages ago for a little friend's 4th Birthday in a few weeks. Dead easy aren't they but so pretty. Can't wait for the mag!

Rohaise said...

I love these fabrics and this quilt top! Just beautiful. I'm also very much looking forward to the first edition of FQ. A tutorial would be great (as I'm a beginner and all the maths stuff is still slightly doing my head in!)

picciolo said...

3 hours?? wow! I'm not surprised the fabric didn't make it to the cupboard it is lovely
: )

(I'm having a giveaway on my blog if you would like to try and win one of my new necklaces!)

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

That is just gorgeous!!

lusummers said...

"somebody seriously lovely"? yeah, right ;) just enjoying a delightful minty bulls eye...
xxx

emedoodle said...

That's amazing! I just found your blog via the FQ site... that pic was enough for me to stalk you... I mean "Follow" your blog... lol.
I looove the squares.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!