Monday, 17 May 2010

note to self...


Next time you want to sew an alphabet onto a quilt, do it before the blocks are sewn together. It will make things much easier. Although it's not exactly difficult, more of a pain in the bum trying to negotiate a biggish quilt under a smallish machine throat.

However, that see-thru applique foot I bought a little while ago when I went on a new foot spree is a genius invention (I got teflon, gathering and see-thru applique - I wanted rolled hem as well, but couldn't justify it, unless I start making hankies or scarves. Now, there's a thought...)

The weather over the weekend was really lovely. Sunshiney, if not exactly warm. The ginger one stayed outside the whole time playing with his cousins at Grannie's house. We are not blessed with much of a garden, which was never a problem with Miss G - she didn't run around too much, and played inside her little house mostly. Ginger likes to run, and scoot, and kick balls around. When I sit and watch how much fun he has at Grannie's it makes me a bit sad. Their garden is fully enclosed as well, so I don't have to keep my eyes on him, and worry about cars or him wandering off onto the main road. I have told my mother in law she could move into a nursing home and let us move into her house, but she's not taking the hint. Maybe I should just turn up with all our possessions and see what the reaction would be? Actually, I don't think she'd mind all that much. I have been blessed with a wonderful mother in law. I wonder how she'd feel about a caravan in the garden? Hmm........

I think I'll have to start dragging one of the machines down there after nursery sometimes and sew in the sunshine, like Lily does. No computer either, so it might make me more productive in tackling those unquilted WIPS. I bet if I stay late enough I'll get my dinner made for me as well.

Speaking of dinner. Or food in general, I went for a lovely lunch on Saturday. It was just the husband and me. Miss G had gone to the movies, and Ginge was down at Grannie's. I didn't even know this place had opened. Jamie Oliver comes to Leeds - and it was really fantastic as well. He has a few of these Italian's - which are more River Cafe than your local pizzeria. Gorgeous, fresh tasting food. You can watch the pasta being made - you know, rolled and cut, not just put in a pan out of a packet. The staff were really good, it was not expensive (not cheap cheap, but not expensive - around £12 for a main course), and the setting was beautiful. I took a photo of the tiled floor because I feel a quilt is coming out of it.
Anyway, if you happen to be anywhere near one of these restaurants you should try it. If the Leeds one is anything to go by you won't be disappointed. We're going back with the kids (well, probably only Ginge, because Miss G doesn't want to hang out with us any more on a weekend. It's all movies and mall these days. *sigh*). Move over pizza express, I've got a new weekend family eatery!


7 comments:

penny.hankey said...

Well there's a coincidence! My husband and I run a business installing sound systems into restaurants and Jamie's at Leeds is one of "ours" While we were building that one, and also the one at Reading, I too found myself planning a quilt design based on the tiles. You're one up on me though because I've never managed to eat there, even my 7 month old grand daughter managed a visit to the Cambridge branch last week. BTW we do Pizza Expresses too!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Funny post. I do stuff like put things on blocks as an afterthought. I'm glad I"m not the only one.

picciolo said...

we've got one just down the road, and I agree they are great! Did you see the children's menu, here it comes in a hand held projector thingy (can't remember the name but I had one when I was small) so the kids have to click through to decide what they want. Hmm, must go again soon! That foot looks like a brilliant thing too
: )

trash said...

Loving your plan for term-time sunny sewing. Ibn fact if you manage it well you could get Ginge bathed and changed then just head home for bed. THis in turn means only ever breakfast dishes to contemplate and minimal house cleaning. Oh I do like a plan.

bloominworkshop said...

I haven't quite got the knack for sewing in the garden like some. But you got to eat at Jamie Oliver's restaurant?!? Cool! I'm envious.

comfortstitching said...

I have a rolled hem foot, it is quite scary looking so I keep it well hidden, just so I never get a little bit tempted.
Love!! the idea of you sewing al fresco BUT is it a wise thought in blightyville???

Paula Ozier said...

I'm glad you thought the staff were good, one of my friends' sisters works there! She LOVES working there.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!