Monday, 14 June 2010

adventures across the pond

So we're home. If anyone has any ideas on how to deal with jet lag, please let me know. The copious amounts of caffiene I'm drinking aren't helping - I'm still walking around in a daze. I feel like I had a really heavy night on the bottle, but unless I'm a sleep-drinker I am certain no alcohol has passed my lips for a good few days. Miss G is coping ok, but the rest of us are pretty spaced out.

We had quite possibly the best trip ever. Starting in Vegas, we drove to San Diego, Anaheim (to visit Mickey and his friends at Disneyland), LA, and up along the Pacific coastline (I have never seen such amazing views - the Big Sur and the area around it is truly mind blowing) to Santa Cruz. Then back down to Vegas. San Francisco is saved for the next time, our days just ran out - but we covered a pretty awesome chunk of area considering we drove. 1500 miles or so, in all.

What did we do? In brief we.....

:: cuddled a small baby and one of us (not mentioning any names but it might well be me) was even more broody than ever

:: got a little wind swept (check out that ocean - it was blue and green and white all at the same time)

:: hung out with Mickey Mouse

:: ate burgers without buns (why, oh why does every type of bread bun have dairy in it in the US?)

:: were mesmerized by a big ginger monkey using a stick to get something out of a hole in a rock


:: sat on giant extinct cat sculptures (and got burnt by the hot metal. Note to San Diego zoo - metal + sun = hot)


:: drove many many miles along very long straight roads


:: marvelled at giant jellyfish like glass sculptures (I did, at least, the kids weren't so impressed)



:: sat on a beach in a desert watching the waves (only in Vegas!)



and then came home to rain.

*sigh*




29 comments:

bloominworkshop said...

What a fun trip!

I have heard that eating lots of protein in the morning helps get the body back into the right time zone.

Lorraine said...

Time helps .

Paula Ozier said...

Welcome home! Sounds like you had a great trip, I am jealous! Jetlag....drink lots of water and try to eat and sleep according to UK time

grendelskin said...

Welcome home! Sounds like an awesome trip, you covered a LOT of turf! I think sleep - lots of it - is the only cure. The jellyfish looks like a Dale Chihuly sculpture, he's a master glassblower with a killer eye. Next time do the East Coast, it's a shorter flight and we'd love to see ya.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Welcome back Katy!! Looks like you had a wonderful time!!
Time will help and you will be fine by tomorrow, talk a little nap here and there!

Vicki said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip and will have some great memories. As for the jet lag the only cure is sleep and time. I'm just back from a vacation in Hawaii, it's day 3 and I still feel like I'm dragging my butt LOL.

Rebecca Maples said...

Glad you had fun in Cali, I'm sure Cali enjoyed having you;) Next time your on the west coast, you will have to go to San Fran, I think it's much better than LA, but I am partial to norcal.

The Calico Cat said...

(why, oh why does every type of bread bun have dairy in it in the US?)

Ahhhh the $64,000 question. (TV Game show from the black & white era.)

I have a couple answers. If you really want to know, reply...

picciolo said...

looks like a fabulous trip! Don't worry I think the weather is due to improve(fingers crossed anyway). I like your improvised burger bun!
: )

Jantine said...

They tell taking Melatonin is helping a lot too. It is what you normally produce in your body to get sleepy, but you can buy it in farmacies too.

marit said...

Looks like you've had a lot of fun! Great photos! The jellyfish are awesome. (I've never been south there, but I once spent almost a year in San Fransisco and loved it.)

Crafty Chops said...

Looks like a great trip!

The important question though is did you have Santa Cruz by the Thrills on in the car?

Oh santa, santa cruz, oh santra cruz your not that far...

(my singing is even worse in real life)

trash said...

Hahahahaha Crafty Chops, while traversing that coastline I made my sister detour to Santa Cruz just so I could sing that song ;-) And as for driving out of the San Francisco airport and seeing signs for 'San Antone' ... I nearly exploded in my speed to start singing.

Miss Monkey, glad to have you back on this side of the world and how fabulous your adventure looked. Jetlag? The bestest way is to try and fit into the local timeframe as much as possible. Sorry, other than that it is down to time and sleep. I confess I have never tried melatonin.

stacey said...

Welcome home! Sounds like a great trip...and you did so many great things!

Heather said...

Great pictures. Sounds like a fun trip.

One Flew Over said...

Me...envious much??

Looks like you guys had a great time, glad you are back though xx

x vInTaGe VioLeT x said...

welcome home!
looks like the holiday was worth the jet lag :o)

Tina said...

Welcome home!! Smooches!

amy smart said...

What a fabulous holiday you had! I love the pictures. You visited some of my favorite places. Every time I visit Orange County, California I wonder why I don't live there. And then I look at the traffic and the cost of housing and I go, "Oh yeah." But it's fun to dream. Glad you had fun!

dmarie@thistlehillfabrics said...

cookies! cookies help everything.

Nothing quite like that california highway following the beach.

Beth said...

We did the exact same thing at the San DIego Zoo. Nothing like second degree burns on the inside of a kid's thighs!!

Louise said...

Love the photos - looks like you had a ball together! You should try getting over the jetlag getting back to this country!!!

Diane said...

welcome home! Sounds like you had an amazing trip. I am a native of CA and miss it so much!

Rebecca Maples said...

Katy, you left San Diego too soon, they had a nice size earthquake a couple of days ago, I'm sure your kids would have loved it;)

sewkatiedid said...

Oh, next time seattle for a beer right?

Paloma said...

what a nice vacation on your other side of the pond. I'm anxiously waiting for the Euro to go down so I can get over the pond and see what's on the other side. I'm glad your back, it's always nice to come and read your posts.

amandajean said...

wow! what a fun trip! good luck on the jet lag thing.

23rdspiral said...

awesome trip! we did similar when i was 13, so thanks for the memories!

jillytacy said...

Looks like you had a great vacation! We just spent time with Mickey too on a Disney cruise.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!