Monday, 21 June 2010

chores but not a chore


It's never a chore to start a quilt and this one has been gnawing away at me for a little while since I saw Megan's cat sprawled on her rainbow version. To be honest Megan's quilts do that to me anyway. They gnaw away at me and I have to blatantly copy her. I think she's the cool girl at school that I wanted to be friends with. I'd have a sneaky cigarette in the back lane with her and skip class if she let me stand with her at the bus stop.
I'm 6 blocks down. They're pretty huge blocks (started off with 6 inch squares) so it won't take long to finish this monster. Hopefully my cat will appreciate it as much as Simon. I'm thinking maybe 20 blocks in rainbow colours and mostly using up my Flea Market Fancy and Katie Jump Rope hoardings. Except purple, I'm struggling with purple (it's not featuring heavily in my stash). If anyone has any tips for that colour let me know, because I could do with the help.

Second up - quilt market chores. Except the only chore was that I wasn't there and John was. It's handy having the quilt dude as your buddy though...look what he brought me home...


Caramel Town from Lecien. I LOVE it. I don't know whether I can cut it up though. It's so cute.

Then we move on to the terrible task of visiting Harts in Santa Cruz. Oh, what a chore that was! All those bolts of fabric all over the place. the horribly nice staff that gave me gifts....

The eagle eyed amongst you may notice that there's a couple of FQs of Anna Maria Horner's bohemian on the top there. I'm not saying my friendship can be bought, but wave some out of print and hard to find much coveted fabric under my nose and I'm your new puppy.

Harts is an amazing place. Too much there, really. I couldn't cope. Since I've got home I've kicked myself for not spending more time stroking the fabrics and maybe having a little lie down amongst the bolts. They were shutting up shop though, so it was time to leave. And I was SO restrained. I bought only a few bits - and spent less than $100. Foolish, I know.
I'll have to go back, right?



These echino prints below make my heart sing. I have no idea what to do with them except love them.
They're a slightly heavier canvas than regular quilting weight, so probably perfect for bags. I think I want a quilt though (no surprises there). Although maybe I could make a bag as well, and then pop one of the organisers in that Terri makes? I think I need one of those for sure. I think everyone does.

If only all chores were as hard work as shopping for fabric.

12 comments:

megan said...

I know what you mean about that Megan's quilts....hers totally do that to me too. But now yours are too! Your last three quilts blew me away and now this windmill is going to be gorgeous too.

Heather said...

dang girl... you're gonna have some seriously fabulous new goodies in your home for sheba!! i can't wait to see that quilt finished!!! ;)

MandMStudio said...

Love the blocks:)

Jaye said...

Hart's is completely fabulous! I love that place and was just there. You got off cheap!

Lorraine said...

New blocks look yum & all that new fabric's making me itch !

Kate quilts... said...

New quilt is going to be lovely. I may have to store that idea for future reference.

I'm with you on the purple. It makes very occasional guest appearances, but would be the last colour I choose.

Sarah Craig said...

Gosh, that's a lot of really pretty eye candy!! And as far as tips for purple - prewash prewash prewash until it doesn't run any more!!! (hard lesson learned.....)

Leah said...

I love that quilt. Where would I find the pattern for it? I would love to make one too.
Thanks

One Flew Over said...

Love the look of the 'Big X' block...that is going ot be one beauty of a quilt.

Lovers of purple...look away now.

My tip for purple - file it in the round filing cabinet ;)

Brenda said...

Great fabrics.

dmarie@thistlehillfabrics said...

how about chloe's closet 1933 (?) for some vintage looking purples. more in the line of lavender, really, but goes with Katie Jump Rope. I have only found it in charms so far, but it is very sweet.
wish I had more.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

The block is fantastic and very interesting.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!