Friday, 18 June 2010

old is new again

I was sure I had a photo of my sofa before, but I can't seem to find one. Try to picture it though - it was dark blue and gold silk, the cats had used it as a scratching post from the day it first arrived, the kids had jumped on it endlessly, thrown the pillows around the room just for fun, and it was ripped, fraying and generally beyond tatty. Oh, and one of the legs at the back had been sawn off so we could get it out of the flat it used to live in and into our house. That leg didn't do anything. It wasn't essential for the sofa to stand up properly so it had sat in a drawer for the past 6 years or so.

Every time I thought about getting it recovered I balked at the cost of upholstery fabric (granted - I was looking in Libertys mostly) because I knew the cost of just getting the job done was going to be more than the price of a small sofa. Add in 7 or 8 metres of fabric at £60 a metre and you're talking about big money.

So the poor sofa just sat in the sitting room looking very sorry for itself for a very long time. Until a couple of months ago when I had a lightbulb moment and remembered all of the home dec fabrics designers were bringing out left right and centre. A little hunt on etsy and I found an Anna Maria Horner print from the drawing room collection for less than 10 bucks a yard.

And here she is....


Actually, I'm not 100% convinced I chose the right print. The fabric looks great close up, but it's a lot less gaudy than the stuff that was on there before so it looks very neat and tidy. A little bit minimalistic compared to the rest of the house and furniture (although how an ornate gold sofa can look minimalistic I don't know). Maybe I'm just not used to the sofa looking so new, it's had bits of stuffing and cord and all sorts hanging out of it for so long. Or maybe it needs some new pillows to smoosh it all up a little. I think I'll get used to it. It is growing on me now I look at the photos, and I do love that fabric close up.

The children aren't allowed to eat, drink or play on it now.


They may even be banned from sitting on it....

24 comments:

Jodie said...

lovely - but OMG THAT CUSHION !!!!!

details details...suppliers etc I need THAT CUSHION !!!

Jodie said...

The sofa is beautiful of course, I love the gold...but you know where my heart lies....

Bridget said...

Oh now come on - that is a truly gorgeous sofa, thanks to the new fabric. It looks a million dollars. Please don't tell me you did it yourself because I don't think I can stand it ... did you?

Theresa said...

OH MY GOODNESS......deserves to be spelled out. That sofa is worthy of becoming a shrine...it's gorgeous. Love it. Fabulous bones, gorgeous, gorgeous skin!

Sarah Craig said...

Wow, that is one beautiful sofa! Isn't it fun to bring a piece of furniture back from the dead?

Apryl said...

I think it looks lovely but needs more of a Katy makeover, a few smaller cushions and perhals a nice little quilt draped over part of it so it looks more lived in and loved.

Nicole Follow the White Bunny said...

Love the sofa, love the cushion too! I'm pretty sure it would look even better with a quilt though. I think you need to go fabric shopping now!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Good golly miss Molly I love that sofa!!!

karlyn Jackson said...

Wow! that is one gorgeous sofa.....lucky you!

LJ said...

What an awesome awesome sofa!

alobsiger said...

Yes, what about that cushion? I think the sofa is great -- love the fabric -- but it just pales in comparison to that shining beacon of a cushion. No, don't sit on it, then you won't be able to see the cushion properly. You must sit across from it and gaze at it from a distance. But I thought you would already know that. :-b I do love that fabric!!

Kate quilts... said...

Oh, you've read my mind. I've been looking long and hard at AMH's deco fabrics. I have grandmother and grandfather chairs that are covered in the most hideous velvet - somewhere between mustard and olive green... but worse than you think.

Your sofa, of course, looks lovely. It just needs lots of cushions. :)

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

I'm dazzled by your sofa. I have an antique loveseat that I've been wanting and needing to recover -- you're inspiring me to get on with it!

upstateLisa said...

furniture does take some abuse. Love the new fabric!

Piper + Lily said...

The couch & cushion look perfect! Love it! xx

Des said...

i don't think i'd let my kids even look at it!!

it's sooooo gorgeous!!!

amy smart said...

Amazing. I think it's fabulous. And you know I love that cushion.

savvy stitch said...

Love it!

GretchenH said...

Love the Sofa. Love the fabric. Love love love the cushion. The fabric is perfect for the glitz of the rest of the sofa. Never ever though remove that cushion.

Poppyprint said...

Beyond fabulous. Have the cats been de-clawed?

picciolo said...

wow it looks amazing! I love the print you chose, it really reflects the gold on the sofa
: )

Andi said...

The sofa is stunning.
Did you recover it yourself?
I'm booked in to do an upholstery course later this year.
Can't wait!!

marit said...

Gorgeous sofa!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

It really is very lovely. I am totally in love with the gold and the design. It is a treasure. and it looks brand new/old like it belongs in an ancient manor house.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!