Monday, 19 July 2010

a date


I can count the times I've spent a weekend away with my husband since Ginger was born on one hand. We don't do date night, we all go out together. Him, me, Miss G and Ginge. We used to spend more time without Miss G when there was only her because she was more difficult as a small child, I was more fragile, I needed time to myself, I didn't juggle well back then.
I was a young newly-wed and mother in the same year. It was much harder than I thought it would be. I was full of the arrogance of youth and knew best. And crashed and burned more times than I care to remember.
But then I felt strong enough to try again and bring another little person into the world - I had learned from mistakes made first time round.
Pregnancy with Ginger was different. It was hellish. It was heaven. My life was turned upside down. I was 30. Older and wiser and a better parent but obviously once you think you have things nailed something else goes wrong and you find yourself spiralling down a different rabbit hole. I surprised myself, I surprised most people around me, I coped with disaster in a way that I didn't think I was capable of.
Long and short of it, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Life is too short to regret things or fill yourself with despair. Children don't stay small long enough for you to fully appreciate those times. So we spend our free time together and if we want to try new restaurants or experiences we all try them.
But this past weekend Miss G was in Spain with her best friend and her family and we took the chance to spend a little time alone and left Ginger with Granny.

Alone, but with friends and staying up 'til the wee hours. Sleeping in until 10.30am. Sleeping next to my husband without someone poky and starfish shaped in the middle of the bed.

I'd forgotten how much I missed it.



16 comments:

two hippos said...

sounds like a prefect time to me!

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

Starfish-shaped! I love it.

trash said...

In our house they were definitely pointy and pokey but 'H'- shaped rather than starfishy.

Kerry O'T said...

Stop it - you're making me jealous! I can only dream of lying in until 10.30am - sounds delicious!!

Nicole Follow the White Bunny said...

We are rarely without the children either.We do try to have short city trips together each year. It always feels odd though as if I'm doing something that's not allowed! :)

traceyjay said...

oh that does sound wonderful.

I never understand when folks get lots of alone time after kids... certainly doesn't happen here!

Poppyprint said...

Very nice post katy. sorry to hear there were tough times at the beginning, but happy you found your way and obviously cherish your kids and enjoy their company. We're in the same boat; not lots of grown-up time, so when it happens every couple of years that we get a weekend together, we sure appreciate it! I'm pretty sure we are getting close to the time when our tweens won't want to be caught dead in our company, so we're getting our fill now.....I know when they have their own kids, they'll be back for help!

Doris said...

Poky and starfish shaped?!? Too funny! Glad you had a nice weekend.

comfortstitching said...

Make the most of it!! Bet you missed your little ginge though!!

Florence said...

Oh, your words feel so familiar (married and pregnant at 23), but in the last year or so we've had many more weekends like the one that you've just described and it somehow makes me miss them and our friends all the more (no matter how much we love being with our children). Such wonderful times to be savoured...I'm sure they wouldn't feel quite so brilliant if they were on tap, so I console myself with this...and I do think we return as better, shinier, happier parents.

So pleased you had such a lovely weekend.

Florence x

One Flew Over said...

I love solo weekends with the husbando. Looking forward to a whole 7 nights with just the two of us...god, that will really take me back to life pre kids.

Glad you had a great time, so good for the soul x

Angie said...

I completely understand. I am a mom of a beautiful 2 almost 3 year old, and a beautiful almost 5 month old. Both girls are wonderful, and I miss the time of being alone, but I would not trade it for my girls ever. Glad to know someone else feels the same way as I do.

Relish said...

This is such a beautiful post! I love that you share your new experiences with your babies (we do too) and I love that you also enjoy the grown-up time (ours are too little to have any of that yet). You have such a nice style of writing, thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Lizzet said...

What a lovely post :) Thank you for sharing your weekend with us.

thwartedcheekychimp said...

What a lovely, honest post, thanks for sharing with us!

quiltygal said...

Awwww sweet !!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!