Monday, 5 July 2010

house warming


One of my absolute bestist friends in the whole world (and definitely my most beautiful and gorgeous to look at friend) has just moved in with her also gorgeous other half. I've made 2 quilts for Alex in the past, the last one had been partially claimed by her other half but now they live together officially rather than Alex just spending most of her time over there I thought it'd be nice if they could have a quilt each.
When I picked up the Fruit Pastilles quilt from my friend Beth's in Santa Cruz (after it had been beautifully quilted by Christina) I knew what I'd finish and gift to the love birds.
They haven't seen it yet, so just in case she's peeking in - Alex, I love you, I hope you like the new quilt and hope it matches the crazy decor you're bound to have. See you in a couple of weeks for pizza and beer? xxx
Actually if you click on the link to Alex's website here you can see the last quilt I made for her in the background. You can also see that she's bloody gorgeous *sigh*. When I saw her last she got asked her age. Yeh, sickening. She's 34 but still gets ID'ed.

I LOVE how the quilting has totally pulled this crazy quilt together, and the dark brown binding helps frame it all. I was thinking of doing a crazy pieced binding, but thought better of it. There's enough going on there without a scrappy binding as well.




In other crafting news, I have made another flying geese block for the quilt along over at Anita's. I'm a bit far behind, I have 4 blocks, I should have 9 and a heap of sashing and cornerstones. I'm hoping to get a bit more organised once this week is out. I've got a busy week of finishing off patterns for fat quarterly and a couple of articles as well as catching up on quilting bees. It's not long 'til the 27th when issue 2 is out and I am running a little behind my own schedule. The high pollen count isn't helping at all, it's taking me a couple of hours each morning to come round and get my eyes to stop puffing up and be able to focus properly. Once my prescription antihistimine kicks in the sneezing subsides a little, but I have honestly never felt quite so bad with my allergies as I have this summer. I can't decide whether I should go and get an inhaler from the doctor for the wheezing, or just soldier on. It's bound to pass soon, isn't it? This is the British summer and it never lasts long!

Check out Anita's quilt so far, it's looking fantastic - and a real kick up the bum for me to get back into action! I'll get there....eventually!!!!


21 comments:

piecemealquilts said...

Your rainbow string quilt is gorgeous! I see so many of these with white, but I really like your version with brown much better. I also like how you put four blocks of the same color together, rather than making it completely random.

Diane said...

beautiful quilt! I am sure your frined will love it forever! Love the block too :)

Me? A Mom? said...

Can I be your friend? hee hee. This quilt is so fun. I love a good string quilt!

allsewnup said...

Stunning quilt.

Carolyn

Poppyprint said...

Lucky, lucky Alex. It's gorgeous...and quilted all the way over in the Pacific Northwest, even!!! Your flying geese block is super pretty, too.

Hope the drugs kick in soon - allergies bite.

two hippos said...

your string quilt is amazing, a fabulous house warming gift!

comfortstitching said...

ooh, Alex must be a great friend, don't think I could give up this beauty!!

Are you on a mish to get all those WIP's finished!!! GO KATY!!

Florence said...

It's amazing - I love it!

amy smart said...

It's been so fun to watch this quilt come along. The finished product is wonderful!! You are a generous friend. Esp considering the trans-continental journey this quilt has made.

Good luck with your allergies. (We've got a couple of sufferers around here, so we empathize.)

Why am I suddenly craving Fruit Pastilles? ;)

One Flew Over said...

Lucky Alex! And yes...she is bloody gorg x

heather said...

I love these colors in the string quilt.

Christina said...

Oh, your poor eyes and nose. I have always been allergic to wattle, the yellow flowered Aussie native. Going too near it causes the same reaction in me. Get yourself to a doctor. :)

Love the quilt. Such a beautiful and generous gift. Hope your friends love it too.

Lara Alexander said...

Your eye for color combinations is just spot on. I love looking at your work. And you are so prolific!!

Dionne said...

Beautiful string quilt!

Marit said...

Gorgeous quilt for a good friend! I think you'll have to drop in on them more often now, checking up on both your friend and the quilt!

; )

Nova said...

Stunning! Lucky Alex
x

picciolo said...

what a wonderful quilt, your friend is very lucky!
: )

Lizzet said...

wow!!!! Love the quilt!!! what a great present :)

amandajean said...

that quilt is AMAZING!!! can i be your friend? ;0)

Christina said...

It really was a stunning quilt! But i'm telling you, the quilting really made it! And i'm not just saying that because I quilted it - It was amazing the transformation of that quilt with the quilting. It was a good example of how quilting can change the look and feel of something.

William said...

Thanks for the great post, hope everything is going well. Just in case you need some help with our fundraisers next year check out Easy fundraising.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!