Thursday, 15 July 2010

a new old chair



Because the tatty old sofa turned out so well I decided to get our hallway chair reupholstered as well. I was a little braver with the fabric this time and I absolutely love how it turned out. So much so that I'm a little disappointed I didn't use this fabric for the sofa. I like how bold and bright and a teeny bit over the top it is (garish, says the husband. Phooey to him).

Unfortunately I can't tell you I did it myself. I used a local re-upholsterer whose kids go to the same school as Ginger. Our main sofa could do with a new look as well, but that requires 15 metres of fabric, plus the cost of upholstering. It might be a cheaper option to buy a new one. Or a new to me one at least (I'm dreaming of battered leather chesterfields in deep brown or British racing green maybe). The upholsterer man says he can't fit it in until October/November anyway, and I'll be off to Houston for Quilt Market then so that might be the decider - if I see some exciting new home dec fabrics there I might be able to hold off until they come out.

Fabric used is Anna Maria Horner's Noveau Bouquet in Rose from the Drawing Room line, I bought it from here.

I've been catching up with the quilt along I joined over on Jennifer's blog. Using the precious Dream On stack of FQs I snared a little while ago.

This is the waste from each block......




Too pretty to waste. I think I'll make little hexies with it.

The blocks look complicated but are actually really easy to put together and fast too, once you get into the groove.

I'm halfway through the A blocks and have cut out all the B blocks. Really I should be finishing up some half finished things, but after feeling like cow poo for the past week or so with a nasty virus I need some cheering up and this fabric does just that.



Miss G has finished school now. In fact she has finished junior school altogether and starts seniors in September. *gulp*. Another reason for the cheering up blocks. Little baby Ginger isn't so little either - he starts full time school in September. *another gulp*. I'm feeling a little fragile if truth be told. I remember starting seniors like it was just a couple of years ago (and not the 24 it really was - yikes!).
I think I'll get back to my cheering up blocks and try to push the thought of September to the back of my mind.....

25 comments:

megan said...

Love the chair Katy. Garish, I think not, but my husband would probably concur with yours. What do they know anyways?
And a Dream On Kaleidoscope sound dreamy! I wish I had time to join in on that quilt along.

Poppyprint said...

The chair is amazing - and a 'hallway' chair, how lovely! Super excellent that you're going to Houston, lucky you! Your malaise over September will soon pass when you see how your quilt production goes through the roof with 2 kids in full time school (mine never did, but you do seem to accomplish a lot already, so I'm just guessing....).

two hippos said...

I love your 'new' old chair, not at all garish! The school holidays stretch ahead, my monster starts GCSE's in September...

Ali said...

feeling like cow poo does not sound like fun...but the chair is super fun!

stacey said...

I love the chair! And I think that the fabric choice is great.

I know what you mean about it being cheaper to buy a new piece of furniture. I recently reupholstered a free chair...it is now my $300 free chair and I didn't even pay anyone to have it done. I can only imagine how much that would have cost...

I love the Dream On squares too!

Jennifer said...

Your quilt is going to be fabulous! I am pea green! It does start going faster, doesn't it? And I'm glad you're going to find a good use for the scraps! I have an idea for them as well...

Sophie - Chez Sophie said...

Wow, love your chair it is beautiful.
the fabric is perfect, a real statement peice I say, enjoy.
Luv Sophie xxx

trash said...

oh no, poor you, glad you are feeling better now. I think your new 'old' chair most delicious and think your man is just having a slight aberration and will be most grateful for its cheeriness during the dull Winter months.

Beth said...

My boy went from 4 months to 4 years in what seems like a day...I'm going to quilt market this year, too, we can commiserate!

Andi said...

The chair is awesome!!!!
I'm starting an upholstery course in a couple of months so I can tackle projects like that by myself down the track.
You ever thought of doing that? You seem to have an eye for what works on furniture.
Andi x

Rachaeldaisy said...

I love the chair!!!! I'm sure your man must have said "gorgeous" not "garish", You've just got fuzzy ears from your cow poo virus. I love all that dreamy action going on in the sewing room.

bloominworkshop said...

Ach! You will be at the Houston quilt market?! I so want to go too!

Lara Alexander said...

oh - I love it! regal and funky at the same time!

Cathy said...

Stunning chair, that fabric is adorable. It has the cats seal of approval obviously, so it must be great. Sorry to hear you haven't been well lately, fabric does go a long way to cheer us up I agree. xo

Gina said...

Love that chair!

Cass said...

I love your new old chair, the fabric is great

Breezy Bree said...

Great Chair, my baby starts primary school in september too, Im sure shes not big enough! Houston.....Im not jealous at all!!

erica said...

The chair is gorgeous Katy! I love the fabric you used, not a bit garish. :)

Theresa said...

I'm loving this chair. I was so inspired by the couch I purchased some of the Rose for my own neglected chair (the one I was supposed to renovate 10 years ago!)....wait till you see those before and afters. Thanks for sharing and thanks so much for the inspiration! xx

Marit said...

The chair looks amazing!!!
And I am falling in love with that new fabric of yours...

Di Jones said...

What??? That chair is amazing. I'm now on the hunt for a fabulous chair just like yours. The colours are so lovely-lovely! Mister doesn't know what the hey he's talking about. Talkin' smack me thinks.

Jackie said...

The chair is fantastic! I love the funky fabric with the traditional lines - it really works. What do DHs know about this stuff anyways?

My boys are 20 and 30 now but I still remember their first day of school. I worked at the time so it didn't give me any time alone. The transistion to high school was wasy for everyone - middle school here is what was tough.

Lizzet said...

Love the chair. We just reupholstered our main sofa. It is very large so it was not a cheap job. I could have bought a new sofa for what I paid for getting it reupholstered, but it is so well made and comfy that it was a crime to take it to the landfield.

Check in HOU for cool fabrics, I am sure you will be able to grab a good bargain.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Oh my. I'm in love with that chair!

savvy stitch said...

Love, love, love the chair!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!