Wednesday, 1 September 2010

almost the end of summer

Well, the summer has flown by. It's September already. Really? I don't feel like I've done anything for the past 8 weeks or so, although I suppose a fair chunk was taken up with losing my beautiful Nan.

Miss G has had a wonderful summer. She went on 2 trips with friends to Spain and was (apparently) a joy and a pleasure to take (huge sigh of relief).

It has also been her 11th birthday. E-L-E-V-E-N, how did that happen? I'm sure there must be a mistake because it doesn't seem that long ago. It doesn't seem half that long.
Being 11 means a move from junior school to high school. Seniors. Oh deary me. This is where the boys, and the make up, and the arguments for high heeled shoes and fancy designer items happens, isn't it? And then there'll be those nights where I'll stay up worrying that she'll come home ok because she's 2 minutes later than she said she would be.
As long as she isn't like me I'll be ok. I know I was a hellish teenager. Oy, I hope there's no such thing as karma. I have to say that she does me proud. I've really enjoyed this summer with her, when she's been here (which hasn't been often). She has a wicked sense of humour and makes me curl up in a ball laughing. The other week it was her little cousin's first birthday and she was eating the food and said dryly 'well, it seems they've got things the wrong way round here. The drinks are warm and my fish is cold'. She comes out with snappy retorts and hilarious one liners all the time. But never gives her teachers any lip (thank God). Mostly just her dad (but they are made from the same mold and will wind each other up until one of them finally snaps - usually Daddy). My baby girl is growing up into someone I would be proud to be friends with.

Miss G's birthday involved the purchase of new dolls..... (she's 11, yes, but these dolls are not your average doll, and in this house we have an unhealthy obsession for the vinyl toy. The husband is the worst culprit.)

And with the dolls came a sudden desire to sew. At last!!!! Hopefully the little seed will now sprout and grow.


She even sat quietly with her brother and they dressed them together

What do you do for an 11 yr old's birthday party? Apparently a sleepover was in order. 8 girls getting their nails done, having face packs and telling ghost stories. And playing the cardboard box game. That's a fun one - you take a box and have to pick it up with your mouth - no hands, without falling over. Each round you cut an inch strip off the box and make it smaller and smaller. Miss G was surprisingly good at it. Although the winner was a wiry little gymnast/dancer (go figure).


There has been some discussion lately of make up and leg shaving. Her new uniform requires opaque tights all year round. She is blessed (more like cursed) with monkey fur (like me) on her legs. It keeps you warm in winter, but doesn't look great poking through your opaque tights. It looks bloody awful poking through your black opaque tights, actually. So leg shaving has been okayed, but I think her make up skills might need a little work, don't you?



(make up and high heeled shoes along with inappropriate clothing for a child are my sticking points - when you need them, you can have them has been my stock answer. And when will she need them? Ha. Never.)

His Gingerness starts full time school tomorrow. He's very excited. I am having mixed feelings - on the one hand I really need to be able to get work done during the day. The summer has scuppered my plans for doing much at all and I am way too far behind on my deadlines for Fat Quarterly stuff. On the other hand I will miss that little Ginger beast terribly and the house will feel dreadfully empty without him.
He is most excited about having a packed lunch. It will consist of a cheese sandwich, some quavers, strawberries and maybe a biscuit (he says). I do have a feeling he will struggle with the full days as he's still inclined to take a nap after lunch but hopefully he'll fall into his new routine without falling asleep at 4pm every day.

Next week I will be on fire - me and Nina Bernina have the Fat Quarterly jelly roll quilt along to do. Will you be joining us? Speaking of the quilt along - there's a giveaway over on the FQ blog at the minute courtesy of Robert Kaufman fabrics.

16 comments:

emedoodle said...

OH... I have to say, I followed your link up there to the little vinyl toys. I just got one of these "color your own" vinyl mickeys on our recent trip to disney world. I think I need about 20 more! I have a pink 3" one, and it's just too cute! I'm too cheep to actually buy more (now) but they're really great. Nice to see that others are into them too. :) So cute!

emedoodle said...

all that and I forgot to give you the link! http://www.disneystore.com/vinylmation-create-your-own-vinylmation-figure-3/p/1261003/70998/

megan said...

Hilarious Katy. Teenagers scare the crap out of me, being a rather horrible one myself and having a daughter that will be one before I know it! And good on you for letting her shave this early. My mom made me wait until well past all my friends had so I secretly took the task into my own hands with an old dull razor and a bar of bath soap. She gave in a gave me a lesson after that!

Gina said...

I used to be really good at that cardboard box game... until I pulled a hamstring!

wishes, true and kind said...

Great memories of little girl sleep overs when my daughter was younger :)

And I have my Plume jelly roll all ready to go!

grendelskin said...

Oh boy, 11 is a big year! Get ready for girlfights ("I liked him first!"), the onset of group shrieking if you don't have it already, pop star idolization, all that stuff. I had to look up Quavers, we don't have them in the US. I'm with you on the karma thing, if my girlchild ends up like I was I am truly screwed; perhaps the fates will smile on us and keep them sweet?

Breezy Bree said...

Im leaving home when my lot get to the teenage years! Sorry you've had a tough summer xxxxx

Andi said...

A lovely post Katy!
Hope the start of the school year (and Nina Bernina) runs smoothly.
Andi x

trash said...

Apparently we are genetically programmed so that behaviours skip a generation. So 'they' say.

Oh my word! This means Princess C-W will be the teenager her grandmother was! Am off to pack now.

rachelmp said...

What a great post. 11 year old girls seem trickier than my almost 17 year old boy. Good luck with Ginger off to school. Maya won't start to February and I will miss her so much

littlebluecottage said...

oh she is so darling! I can't wait for the quilt along. I really love that block and am looking forward to piecing it. I'm going to go google 'quavers' now...

Milly said...

Nice Dolls!

http://healthon9.com/products.html
Visit here for your True Prolife products!
Be our stockist and enjoy great benefit.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Such cute cute pictures! Love them.

Isa said...

E-L-E-V-E-N.... I know excactly how you feel, my big girl is turning eleven next month, and I can't believe how fast the years has gone by, and all of a sudden this big tweenie is roaming around the house. Apparently pyjamas party is just the thing when you are 11, we doing the same next month, so thank you for the tips :-)

Louise said...

Well Happy Birthday to MIss G - looks like she had heaps of fun at her party. Looove the dollies and their clothes!!

Poppyprint said...

Well, it looks like Miss G is right on track for her elevenses. I am so with you on inappropriate clothing...who okayed the spaghetti strapped, lace-trimmed camis for pre-teen girls???? Thanks for the Blythe doll pix, too, I've never seen one in real life (did you just gasp?) and I didn't realize just how big they were! Good luck with your assignments next week. After begging out of the FQly sew along, I went and bought a Hunky Dory jelly roll just in case I change my mind....

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!