Thursday, 16 September 2010

fancy a soak?


For my birthday this year I got a new camera. I love my new camera. But I am not a photographer and so my pictures have been nothing special. I can't use the camera to make it do the clever things I know it can do, so I set it to auto and hope for the best.
The other day I managed to take a picture that actually made me really happy. It was the first time I've taken a pic and thought 'oh, check out my skillz' and do that finger clicky shake thing that chavs do (UK to US translation; Chav = white, trailer park trash, teenage, either gender). Maybe even suck my teeth and give myself a 'wassup girl, you so fly'.

I made a bath mat for the urban home goods swap on flickr, had to take a pic (next to the bath - obvs) so I threw all the crap that lives on the side of the bath into the bath (toys/shampoo/shower gel - yes, shower gel in the bath, face cloths dripping on the sides that hadn't been wrung out etc etc), kicked the real bath mat to the left of the bath (just out of shot), and kind of dusted around with my jammies to pick up some of the dust bunnies and talcum powder puddles dotted around.
A quick fiddle in picnik (do you love that site as much as me? I'm thinking I might upgrade to the posh account where you get all the good stuff) and I uploaded it to flickr yesterday (although I'd sent the parcel off at the weekend).
I am fully aware I'll never recreate that pic, and I'm sure there are actually many faults with it (if I were a real photographer and knew what to look for), but I am smugly proud that for once I took a pic that makes me go mmmmmmmmm.


Enough of my ego stroking, because it's vulgar and certainly not becoming of a lady to tell herself she's so fly.

Let's move on to boggle eyed dolls with huge heads and very skinny legs. It's nearly Blythecon UK! . Myself, Miss G, my best friend Sascha, Miss G's best friend Eby, my other friend Sasha and our dolls are going to spend the day looking at dolls, buying clothes for dolls, learning about doll stuff, listening to talks about dolls, fawning over the Queen Bee and generally being a doll geek. Eeek!


31 comments:

trash said...

You so fly gurrrl!

Christina said...

I'd be patting myself on the back over such an awesome photo too! Fantastic! :)

One Flew Over said...

You are too bloody funny! Great pic xx

Mary said...

Ok - my kids just roll their eyes at me when I act "Chav" - so I won't attempt it here, but it is tempting! LOVE the mat...but what about that tub! Great picture - you go girl!

Tam @ 1/4 of an inch said...

You know how much I love this Katy... but just in case you forgot...

I LOVE THIS...

xt

Jodie said...

oh, now I have to geek out on you...
is it chavs (like in ch for church)
or chavs (likes shavs)

is it 'a' like in play
or 'a' like in raves

Sorry - this stuff just gets me ....

Shellie said...

LOVE the pic!! and the quilt's pretty sweet too! :)

Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS said...

It's a great picture! well done! I love the idea of a quilted bath mat... now you got me thinking....
;-)

Katy said...

For Jodie (and other word geeks out there)

CH like CHurch

A like cAt

now, take your new word and use it well...

Leila said...

ur pictyar is bangin'! u iz well fly innit! {that's my best chavy english!}

comfortstitching said...

Living in Chav central where the locals think they are n' da ghetto, I do not see you as a chav myself though perhaps you should makeover one of your blythies with a Croydon facelift? Just a thought? might catch on over at Blythecon UK? NO?

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

Your photo is wonderful and your bathmat even more so. A treat for the eyes, Katy!

Justine said...

That picture is baaad Katy!! Thanks for the picnik tip:: duly noted. I too am on the big countdown for Blythe Con - I'll give you my no nearer time so I won't be billy no mates.

Kaye Prince said...

That picture really is seriously awesome Katy! And I want to go to BlythCon with you!!!!! Maybe they should do it in Toronto one year so I can go...yes, yes they should ;)

Cass said...

I love that photo, it's awesome

Jodi said...

I love a good soak every once in a while - and your bath mat is beautiful as well as the quilting!

Laura Cameron said...

Love this photo! I'll not try chav as it will only lead to haunting teaching nightmares ;)

Poppyprint said...

Well, go ahead and dislocate your shoulder while patting yourself on the back. It is a killer shot that deserves a lovely printjob and framing, you! In fact, I would wager that if you had some archival prints made, some of us without stunning loos & a custom bath mat would want to buy such a print from your Etsy shop! I bet it made Explore...I'm heading to flickr to find out. Bravo!

Jodie said...

oooh, Thanks. I came back this morning to see if there was an answer. You rock katie, I shall use my new word sparingly and with decorum.

Andi said...

Firstly .... Jodie ..... do you EVER do anything sparingly and with decorum?
But back to the important stuff .... Katy ... that photo is truly stunning. Go ahead and wallow in your self-admiration. I would!!
I'm off to 'favourite' it in flickr.
Andi x

Theresa said...

Yo! You forgot to mention the gorgeous bathmat! Doh!

lusummers said...

you remember those quilt blocks called 'sunbonnet sue must die' with loads of ways poor old sue meets an untimely death? that's kinda how i feel about your dolls...blythe dolls must die...and seriously, blythecon? did you just make that up? is it really you and your sad buddies going to some shed in a garden in wakefield? hmm? hmm?

Beth said...

Holy mackerel, it's like the Avedon of quilt photos!

Laura said...

That is an awesome photo and a gorgeous bathmat!

Sylvie said...

This bath mat is really BEAUTIFUL !!!
Now that I have received my goodies from {Urban} Home Good Swap (and it was not this bath mat), I would like to make something similar for my place. I am wondering what kind of batting did you use?
My bathroom is rather dull and some patchwork would make it look better. Isn't patchwork made for that, after all?
Love,

Sylvie

Sewing Geek said...

Seriously? Wassup girl? You SO fly! Love the pic!!! I can't believe you have that tub!!

stitchsister said...

LOVE the bathmat and that tub is awesome! My parents have a big soaking tub like that, though not so elegant/modern. Beautiful!

Lynn said...

Wow!
I need to work on my photo skills! That photo is GREAT!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

You know, that is a great idea. I've made kitchen mats. But they get SO dirty. A bathmat would be wonderful.

Kitty said...

I think that is a flippin' fabtastic photo! That camera gets brilliant write ups - I look forward to seeing what you do with it. :) x

amandajean said...

your photo is AMAZING!!! go on and gush! i love the bath mat too. soooooooooo nice!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!