Thursday, 4 November 2010

Quilt Market - part 1

I'm back!
Did you miss me? Notice I was gone? Care?
Houston, Houston, Houston. It's a strange place - I hadn't heard great things about it (the City not the Market) but it's really quite lovely. So clean. Hot. Humid. Oh man, so hot and humid. I still have prickly heat from my poor English skin trying to cope in that climate. Never did I think I'd be pleased to see the grey skies of England.
Every single person I met was lovely. Not just polite and kind of nice, but REALLY lovely. A lot of the new friends I made I hadn't really 'spoken to' or not spoken to before at all. But maybe it's the excitement of Market, or just the shared love of quilts it was like we were old friends reunited.
I'm not even going to begin listing who was there, because I'll miss some out and then I'll feel awful. So just check out a few pics (I was so bad, I didn't take anywhere near as many as I should). And if you get the chance to go to Quilt Market one time, go. Just go. It's amazing.

party people in the westminster aisle
we hung out in the party aisle (left to right me, Heather, Brioni, Tula Pink, Lizzy House) Note; not only are Tula Pink and Lizzy House supremely talented, they are also 2 of the nicest girls you could wish to meet. Down to Earth, funny, totally grounded despite their immense talents. It was a delight to meet them both.

learning stuff...
We did some learning at schoolhouse - because Quilt Market is not just party time, it's work stuff too. I even had my 'learning glasses' on. See? They make me cleverer.

winners!
Won some good stuffs thanks to the fascinating schoolhouse by Cherri House. It really is no wonder Lizzy has so much talent, her mum is an encyclopedia of knowledge.

Sarah Fielke does her best 'I'm so sweet' face
We hung out LOTS with this lady (don't trust that sweet smile, she likes to party). In fact, meeting Sarah (who I have shamelessly stalked for some time) and her awesome hubby as well as my long term quilt guru and teacher and all round wise woman, Amy, was the absolute highlight of Quilt Market. Sarah is clutching her latest book, Material Obsession 2 which has just been released in the US. Have you bought it yet? You need to buy it, the MO books are my favourites, full of great inspiration and Sarah's style is just so amazing. I THINK I'm ready to decide which quilt I'm making from the book, it's a tough choice though. Too much to choose from (in a good way!).

Elizabeth and Violet
Met some of Portland's finest. Elizabeth wore heels the whole time. Any woman that can wear heels for 17 hours a day and claims they're comfortable is God like to me. If you haven't already please please please go and buy her book, The Practical Guide to Patchwork. It's a really good book, one you'll use and not just like to look at. Amazon have it in the US and the UK (release date for the UK is November 15th). Get it on your Christmas wish list, it's a keeper.

I'll be back with more pics soon!

26 comments:

Paula Ozier said...

You lucky thing! I have to admit I had noticed you were gone...mainly because I noticed your flickr name had changed when it showed up on my home screen ;) Glad you had a great time and relieved that you didn't repeat your FoQ experience by getting sick!

Lynne said...

I've got to admit, I'm sooooooo jealous - maybe one day when we're rich and famous Mandy and I will come along with you!

alobsiger said...

What can I say? Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee! It was joyous to meet you. And now my life has gone back to its normal dullness. Brief, shining moments!

Paula Ozier said...

Hey Lynne, you and Mandy aren't allowed to leave me behind!

Megan said...

Oh course we missed you. And we were completely jealous too.

amy smart said...

So excited that you got to go to Market!! It is coming to my hometown in the spring (Salt Lake City- WEEEEeeeee!) and I'm so excited to go an oogle everything/everyone myself. Any chances you'll be coming then too??

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Of course I missed you! Looks like you had a wonderful time!! I am going to spring market and cannot wait!

silversmith said...

you left houston just as the weather got cooler! and rainy. today is the first day since monday that we have had sun...temps today will be in the upper 60's and the horrid humidity of monday has gone down.

missed market, but you can guarantee i'll be at the festival on saturday with all the million other people. no heels for me...i think i'm going with one pair of clog birks this year for my 8 hours of walking and standing.

Des said...

totally awesome post, Thank you!!!!
You are about as cute as they get!!

word verfication: zeste. You. are. zestie.

Allison J. said...

Yes, I missed you! I've only recently found your blog, but I'm loving it :) You mentioned being WIP free and starting with a clean slate for New Years in your last post, and I thought, Yes, that would be great! So I just wanted to thank you for the inspiation I've been needing to finish all my UFO's. I'm so excited about it, I just might start a blog myself :) I've chosen next New Years Eve as my deadline.
Happy Quilting

One Flew Over said...

Looks like it was fab! Can't wait for 2011!

Beth said...

Awesome! So glad we had 30 seconds to talk about judgmental quilt ladies!

Angela said...

How much fun! You are making the rest of us jealous. :)

Andi said...

Miss you? Nope.
You kept popping up in photos across the blogosphere so it feels like you've been posting non-stop for the last week!!
Glad you've had fun!! Jealous? Me? You bet!!!

Mary said...

Looks like loads of fun! I have to agree with you whole heartedly about Sarah Fielke's books. They are a "must-have" - she is just fabulous! All the photos of market are so inspiring!

chq said...

Thank you for coming to my schoolhouse, I think we spoke at one point, but we never "met". I'm Cherri, nice to meet you! See, now we can be friends!

Glad you enjoyed Market!

Poppyprint said...

Aw, you're all so cute in those photos - having the time of your lives. Can't wait for post #2. I'm so loving all of these market posts so I can see what everyone looks like and enjoy it from (very) afar.

Sarah said...

No no Im sure that wasn't me you were partying with, I am a lily white good girl and butter wouldn't melt in my mouth :)

quiltygal said...

Glad to see you had a good time over there hope you have been inspired & look forward to seeing what you come up with?? maybe a ginger monkey pattern line??

Maree: said...

Great Pics ..Glad there is an Aussie amongst them..our Sarah is one Very Talented Lady..
Quilt Market looks Amazing...dream on I say.
cheers

sewtakeahike said...

Katy, it was so good to meet you at quilt market!! It was a really good time, next time I hope to be able to wander a bit more. So tell me, is Heather actually standing in that first photo? Totally cracks me up!

stitchsister said...

Lucky you - looks like great fun.

Jeni said...

Looks like such a blast! I love your learning glasses, so rad! :)

picciolo said...

wow it looks like a great time was had, that MO book looks really interesting, I am off to investigate!
: )

Sheree said...

It was so much fun meeting you at Market. I hope to start my Market and Festival recaps today. You look like you have a blast. I need to go one year and not have a booth so I can walk the floor more and meet more folks and do schoolhouses!
Sheree

Judith said...

I bought the MO book 2 the other week and really fell in love with the Charlotte Sometimes quilt. So I decided to make this although it will be a labour of love as there is lots and lots of applique. You are one lucky woman to have met the two authors.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!