Friday, 12 November 2010

why finish stuff when you can start new things?

trimming the pips

I'm drowning in quilt tops that either need quilting, backings made, or finishing with borders but I'm waiting to order a new roll of batting (putting it off somewhat in order to avoid the quilting, if I'm honest) and when new stuff pops up courtesy of Aneela it'd be rude not to start cutting it up and sewing it back together, wouldn't it?
People were all in a frenzy for Aneela's first fabric line with Moda at Market. It sold out at sample spree before I managed to pick any up. Which would have got me very upset had I not known I was getting some of my own (thank you Aneela - big kisses).
A layer cake and some kona coal - I'm sewing big crossy, windmilly blocks. It's a quick one to throw together, and would only take a day if I wasn't so easily distracted. It'd look great in smaller blocks made with charm packs as well. I'll do a tute one day next week when I get the quilt top finished.

Another thing that's busy distracting me is the quilt along over on Cara's blog. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the 'manly' quilt she made for her husband so when she asked if I wanted to join in with her quilt along I jumped the chance. His Gingerness needs a new quilt since he got bunk beds, and I recently got the Dr Seuss fabrics from Robert Kaufman. Perfecto. Ginge and Daddy can use it to snuggle under to watch TV as well.
You can join in with the quilt along - just click here. She also has a giveaway to win 7 yards of kona solids of your choice for your quilt along quilt courtesy of Sue at Simply Solid on etsy.

another quilt. Sheesh.

15 comments:

Tine said...

oh you cut into the Dr Seuss!

Mary said...

Love that Pips fabric!

Magnolia Bay Quilts said...

Why indeed? Love your philosophy. :-)

Lucky you -- Pips is too cute!

alobsiger said...

Oooooh, ahhh, the Pips are in the house. Love the coal with the Pips too. Now, get back to that because I want to see the whole thing before I forget it. I am completely distracted and want to start about seven new things. I need to start making a list of those things before I forget them because I'm "stuck" trying to actually finish other things. Please note this is not a philosophical underpinning of mine to finish before I start.... Off to see what's going on with the quilt along. Hope you and Ginger are feeling well?

alobsiger said...

The verifier is saying mean things today. It just made me type "forties."

Lee Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lee Ann said...

seems like I'm the same. I have a quilt that needs to be quilted... from 1997! It's all ready to be quilted; but, I never got started with it because I couldn't decide on HOW I want to quilt it. LOL. :-)

PS I deleted previous comment because it had a TERRIBLE typo. LOL. :-)

Ryan said...

Looks like your having fun with Aneela's fabric Katy! Can't wait to see your quilt.

Just wanted you to know you are not alone in the "start something before finishing another" department. I suffer from that horrible sickness as well. It's the reason why I have 3 design boards going at any given time. Finish a quilt? Are you kidding? Ha!

One Flew Over said...

Two words - attention deficit.

Can't wait to see the pips top!

Frogdancer said...

Thanks for posting about the quilt along. I've just signed up!

Lorraine said...

Oohh the Pips look delicious !!
Sadly no more quilt alongs for me just yet .... I'm still trying to get started on the " ???? " quilt

trash said...

You cut into Dr. Seuss? Did he squeal? Was the blood turquoise? Did it fountain in a particularly curlyesque kind of way? Enquiring minds want to know???

momto2wasd said...

I had to laugh when I saw the post's title. I just have the worst time finishing things even when I really want to.

That quilt-along quilt is great! Although I do have so many unfinished things, I might actually have to finish something first.

Angela said...

you are just full of craftiness! i cant wait to see them both.

stitchsister said...

I'm totally with you which is why I have only completed one adult size quilt but I have many in progress. I'll be happy to sew your binding for you - it's my favorite part! :)
Oh wait, see what I did there? I have enough of my own stuff to do and I'm offering to do yours too. Ha! Love Aneela's fabric and I can't wait until it is available to purchase.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!