Thursday, 9 December 2010

chasing tails (the blog post where she rambles on for some time about nothing much)

bee hexed in - Brioni

I seem to be behind with everything at the minute. Late with my bee blocks (in fairness the bee hexed in block is a whole lot of work. Thanks to Tacha and her genius ideas for patterns)

The quilt I promised to make for a friend's big 40th birthday (early this year) has been worked on in fits and starts. Sporadic. Not often. It's a good thing she has the patience of a saint. It's not a complicated quilt, but the fabrics had me stumped for a while. Trash prefers things to be tidier than my usual scrap vomit style. She ever so politely asked if it could be less busy than some of the initial suggestions I had. The simple 9-patch is always a winner. Plus she can see the fabrics easily and maybe even remember who bought them for her for her birthday.
I'd originally suggested a dark sashing but she wasn't keen and we'd got an off white instead but laying the blocks out on my kitchen floor convinced her - charcoal kona wins the vote.
My plan is to get this sashed and the backing made before christmas and then if I push myself a little harder and burn some midnight oil it could even be home for christmas - or just after. New year's eve for sure.

birthday quilt for a friend

NooNoo has shown a lot of love for the long languishing American Jane fabrics quilt I started much earlier this year. Two of the sides of the piano key border are done - two more to go and this can be quilted as well. Some of my all time favourite fabrics are in here. I'm really looking forward to seeing it quilted (this will go to Christine - I'm not sure how I want it to look over those appliques. She knows better than me. Wise woman that she is).

my kitty cat

Last night was spent watching American crime dramas (Law and Order Special Victims Unit, CSI Miami, Criminal Intent) on my knees basting two quilts for Christmas. This one for the quilt along over on Cara's blog which is for Ginger to match his Pottery Barn Seuss bedding and the Dream On quilt top that has been laying about unquilted for most of the summer. It was a retirement gift for my mum. It's now a christmas gift come retirement gift.
I LOVE the orange strips in this quilt - it does kind of make your eyes go a bit weird though, I was seeing orange stripes all night after basting it. Very weird sensation.

progress....

I've also made (some) progress on the Technicolour Yawn quilt so I will blog that next week. That's a gift for a friend too - but I'm having the feeling it might be a tough one to let go. It may be one of those that as I'm handing it over I turn and run in the opposite direction. I got some truly GOD AWFUL new squares from a sneaky source. Just wait til you see them - they're so bad I almost screamed when I opened the package. And then spent a long time trying to calm myself down from the excitement.

So right now with only 2 weeks and 2 days til the big C day I'm doing a lot of chasing my tail. Tomorrow I am dashing over to Christine's to pick up a quilt for the January Issue of Fat Quarterly and then into town for some Christmas shopping and to pick up thread for Ginger's quilt.
I'm pretty excited that the quilt I'm picking up isn't too far off the colour chart for Pantone's colour of 2011. Check me out, all bang on trend. Ha ha! It's totally different to anything I've ever made before. I can't wait to show you some sneaky peeks. Really, really hoping the snow holds out for just a little longer so I can get some snowy quilt pics.
I think one of the things I really love about being part of Fat Quarterly is the challenge. Setting ourselves a theme for each issue and thinking months ahead of time of the kind of projects we could do is great fun.
2010 has been one crazy manic year. It's flown by and I can't believe we're almost at the end. I've gone from being a mum with a hobby I love to actually using that hobby as part of my working life. It's like a dream come true if I'm quite honest, I still say I'm a stay at home mum. I guess I should change my job title now, but I'm not sure what to say I do. Whenever I get asked I say 'I make quilts. And I love it.' I really do. It's pretty awesome.

I wonder what 2011 will bring? More unfinished projects? That's a safe bet.

10 comments:

live a colorful life said...

The Dr. Seuss quilt is very cool. Love the orange. Although I can see that it could do some weird things to your eyes after a while. Still...totally worth it!

Andi said...

Much lovely fabriccy stitching!!!!
Andi x

two hippos said...

wow! I love the orange in your mother's quilt - fabulous!

trash said...

crumbs! Was I that much of a harridan during initial artistic development? I would have sacked me on the spot!

Loving Ginge's Dr. Suess quilt. Birmingham net year perhaps?

Also - don't burn the midnight oil or rush on my account. I would hate to think I have contributed to your literal physical meltdown.

Justine said...

I think most peeps are feeling the years gone by in a whirr! I predict bigger things in the design stakes for you Mrs. Katy and much more success with FQ than you ever imagined. That along with teaching me how to bloody bind my own quilts!!!!

summerfete said...

they are all so lovely!!

cauchy09 said...

such gorgeous projects! you know: slow and steady...

John said...

so how long do you think before i can quit my "day job" and feed my family on this FQ thing?! :-)

Poppyprint said...

I'm pretty sure that FQ is here to stay, so you might want to start admitting that you are a Publisher. Or Creative Director. Or Quilt Designer. Because in addition to your momjob, you are so killin' those other 3, too!

I love your block for Brioni and am looking forward to seeing those god awful new blocks!

quiltygal said...

Well its certainly been a very interesting year for you .....Can't wait till 2011 to see what you come up with...if I dont get back here have a great Xmas you mr gm & kiddlets xxx

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!