Friday, 21 January 2011

best.gift.ever

My best friend is awesome. Actually, we are more of a cross between sisters and a couple of old lesbians. Except there's not any of the sexy stuff going on. We do lots together. We're glued at the hip. If it wasn't for our daughters being best friends we'd have never met. Or maybe met, but not had any reason to hang out together. Actually, the first time I saw her she was wearing a velour tracksuit and lots of jingly jewellery and was like a hurricane. I thought to myself who the heck is THAT?' I'd decided I probably wouldn't like her. You know, with me being all superior and everything.

best.gift.ever

Anyway. About a week later Miss G wouldn't shut up about this new girl and how great she was (they were both only just 4 at the time) and how she wanted to go to her house for tea (like children do - she had a tendency to invite herself places). So I had to talk to this velour tracksuited jingly jewelleried hurricane and she seemed really nice (there you go, little miss superior - knocked you down a peg or two, didn't it?) I started hanging out in her shop all day, drinking coffee and chatting, and Miss G and Ebs were at each others' houses at least once a week.

best.gift.ever

Fast forward 7 years and we go on holiday together, we treat the girls as our daughters - both of them, we're lost without the other one. We share everything (I'd share the husbeast, but she's not willing to take him on, says he's a nightmare), it was me that got the phone call when Ebs was in hospital with appendicitis (at the time the doctors thought it was swine flu - whole other tale), it was her that was with me when I went for my dating scan for Ginger (and it was also her that told the doctor that we wanted to know the sex. I told you we were like an old lesbian couple). Her mother is my 'other mother', and my kids call her Grannie.
You're getting the general idea, aren't you? She's pretty, bloody amazing.

She tipped the scale in amazing last week when she brought my birthday present round (2 months early, but she was too excited and couldn't wait).

A sewing machine with my name on! Isn't it amazing? It works, although I don't think I'll ever figure out the complex threading system. I learned to sew on an old Singer like this. Having a Jones is much better. You can see it belongs to me - there's my name on it. In big letters.

Shall we just have one more picture?........

best.gift.ever

Thank you Sash - I love you. But you know that already.

34 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Sweet....

Sarah@PingsAndNeedles said...

What a lovely post, lovely friendship and lovely machine ... Best friends in all their lesbian without-the-sexy-stuff glory are the bees knees!

Have a lovely weekend ...

LOL ... my word verification is gaidback ... snort ..

momto2wasd said...

Lovely!!

badlandsquilts said...

Congrats & enjoy!~

Trash said...

Dear Lezzie Ginger Monkey,

that is one truly awesome early birthday giftie. I think this sisterfriend is definitely a keeper!

Sincerely,

trash

Justine said...

Lucky you Jonesy!

Eww, can't call you that tis my teenage other sons nickname.....

Live a Colorful Life said...

This was such a fun post to read!

two hippos said...

Fab-u-lous! And having your name on too - friends are truly amazing!

Charlotte said...

I learned to sew on a machine like this too! It is so beautiful

Leila said...

sweetness!!

Poppyprint said...

She truly is an amazing friend! Wow, she totally gets it. Rare. Most of my friends think I'm completely off my rocker that I want to sit around and sew all day!

Andi said...

What an amazing gift from a wonderful friend!!
Andi x

Lily Boot said...

oh! oh! oh! oh! oh! You've clearly got the pick of friends and the machine is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!! You must sew on it! Wow! A quilt made by Jones, on Jones. Nicey-nice :-) All I've ever managed to find with the name Boot on it is an 80 year old jar that once held machinery grease.

Cathy said...

Ah Katy to find a friend like that is truly a gift, I'm still smiling reading your gorgeous post! Of course that machine had to be for you, not only with your name on it, but it has beautiful, decorative 'tattoo's on it too!

the Campfollower said...

Thant is Freaking Awesome! The Closest I came to finding a hand crank with either Tia or Curtis (so far....the hunt continues mind you!) is Titan. I am determined to add one of these babies to my sewing machine refuge.

Heather said...

will you share her???

please.

Karamat said...

What a wonderful gift and a wonderful tribute to a dear friend!

traceyjay said...

such a fun story to read. :) Happy early birthday.

dutch sisters said...

Just super great!!

jmbmommy said...

So great!!! Just the other day my husband called my friend my "Platonic lesbian lover" SO glad you have one too!

Molly said...

Oh my goodness, you are so freakin' funny! I laughed out loud, not only at the post, but the comments it generated. Lucky you, to have found such a wonderful friend. Do learn to sew on it, the gift is so great.

Bronwyn said...

Oh my lord - that is the mother of sewing machines - it is just sooooo beautiful.

I am loving your Hexie MF - does MF stand for what I think it does? hehehe! Absolutely inspirational - and that is saying alot for me, cos I usually (hate) hexagons!

highwaycottage said...

Oh how wonderful !! Not only a gorgeous machine but one with your name on it. Too cool !!!!

Apryl said...

aww that is so lovely. not just the machine but the post too. I think you may need a bigger house so you can have a lovely place for everything. Because that lovely machine will need a vintage sewing table to stand on.

Marit said...

both the friendship and the machine - best gift ever!
; )

Nicole Follow the White Bunny said...

Oh it's gorgeous, congratulations on having such a wonderful friend! Can she find one with my last name (Vos van Avezathe) on it too ;)

alobsiger said...

GAH! Perfection! So exciting that I can't even get a full GASP out, but you get the idea. That is amazing! The JONES stands out so nicely too. The gold leaf, shall we say, is beautiful too. I've never figured out how people sew on a hand crank. Kind of like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time. I need both hands on the wheel -- in this case, at the needle. Give Sash a hug from all of us! Or whatever you two do to show affection......

littlebluecottage said...

I love this post! I always tell my girls, 'friends are the family we choose, and that's what makes them special'

Your friend sounds like a treasure. LOVE your new machine!!!

Tina

Beatriz said...

Lovely post about treasures you´re lucky to have.

savvy stitch said...

What an awesome birthday present!

quiltygal said...

LOL I have a best friend like that we have known each other 32 yrs & people have OFTEN mistaken us for lesbians!! I think everyone needs a friend like that....I have a Jones too so we have one thing more in common !! actually I might have 2 jones ?? not sure should really go & check ...

quiltygal said...

ohhh shame I dont own anything with my name on it....Hilton....would be nice LOL

Susanne said...

Shut the front door!! What an amazing gift!!!

amy smart said...

I need a friend like that!! That machine is amazing.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!