Wednesday, 5 January 2011

holy cow - new year already!

Well, that was a longer break than I had intended. Is it really January already? 2011? Remember when the year 2000 was the mystical future? Heck. The years fly by way too fast.
I tell you, Christmas and the school holidays and family and friends and actually having to be sociable don't half suck up precious sewing time.
Today was the first day back to school (deep sigh of relief). As much as I love spending time with the childerbeasts and the husbeast I was starting to (ok, I was more than starting) to get a little sick of the sight of them and the constant cries of 'mummeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' every 2 minutes (don't tell them I told you that, ok?)



Christmas and New Year were wonderful. Way too much food was eaten, and not enough moving about to shift the food once consumed. We spent time with friends and family and I think it was probably the best Holiday period for a long time. 2010 was a funny year of extreme highs (Fat Quarterly, visiting Quilt Market for the first time, meeting my wonderful friend Beth - the person that introduced me to quilting in the first place - in the flesh in Santa Cruz this summer) and extreme lows (losing my beloved Nan. I will miss her terribly, forever, and not a day passes when I don't think of her in some way). I'm glad it's over and 2011 can start fresh and with vigour.
Part of that intended vigour is the Hexy MF quilt. I've been working on this for most of the second half of 2010. I don't think I'll finish any time soon, but it's nice to know the top is now hand appliqued onto the backing fabric and I only have the borders to applique before I can get it quilted. It's around 80 inches square, I think. Maybe a bit less. I should measure it.
Fabrics are all Anna Maria Horner good folks and little folks and the background is a crossweave by Moda (if you can find some of that stuff snap it up - it's got a great texture, and is a dream to sew)

Hexy MF

I've finally mailed my pillow talk swap 4 pillow out to my partner (who is over the pond...that's all I can say). I am pretty sure I'm on the right lines with her style. She likes scrappy, she likes fabrics very similar to the fabrics I like, she likes things that are string pieced and foundation pieced. That doesn't really give it away at all. I made a pillow I love. I actually made a pillow specifically thinking of what I love and hoped it'd turn out ok. Well, I'm making another one because now this has gone I miss it and I want it back. I just hope she loves it as much as I do.

pillow talk swap 4 - sent

Of course, if my partner loves the pillow I made for her as much as I love the pillow Brooke made for me then I'd be over the moon happy. Because this little baby is spot on perfect. It has been squished a bit flat now because I've been sitting on it when I sew. It's just perfect - scrappilicious. And not a single hideous fabric in there. So you can tell I didn't make it, can't you? lol.

{heart}

So here we are in a new decade (I will be pedantic about the whole 2011 being the start of a new decade thing - 2010 was the end of a decade, 2011 the start of a new one. Just work with me, ok?)
Let's go have some fun!!!!!!!!

22 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow! I love the way that hexie quilt looks on the gray background.

patchworkdelights said...

Love the hexie quilt stunning with grey background! Those pillows are so pretty too! Fi

summerfete said...

I'm a patchwork nut too.
Love the hex bet you cant wait to finish it.

Clare

Sarah@PingsAndNeedles said...

The hexies look fantastic - love the pillows too

... I still can't get used to saying pillow! Cushions just sound so much more squishy!

Happy New Year!

Leila said...

those hexagons look gorgeous! Loving the cushions too!

live a colorful life said...

Ooh, such pretty pictures. I'll definitely work with you on the whole new decade thing.

Jodie said...

I look forward to following along with your fun in 2011 ..I can only wonder what you'll get up to...

Beth said...

I loved seeing you in person too. And I have truly missed you every day since. I love you bunches and bunches.
-Beth-

Sarah Craig said...

Wow, lots of beautiful stuff! I love your hexie quilt, your string pillow is wonderful, and I am totally envious of your swap pillow - how creative to have four tiny but different blocks on the pillow! Yummy!!

Poppyprint said...

Glad to hear you had a great holiday! LOVE your hexie quilt - that is a labour of love for sure and it shows. Both the pillow you made and the one you received are stellar. I have some suspicions as to who your pillow is going to - I can't wait to find out!

Jeanne said...

It makes me so happy to find someone else who realizes a decade starts with year 1, not year 0!

Janna said...

OH WOW!!! WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Everything in this post is simply gorgeous!!!! I'm in love with your hexi quilt!! I love hexi's and don't have the first clue how to do them:( I bout some paper pieces from Lovely Little Handmades but still haven't opened them. Oh this is adorable! And those pillows are to die for!

randi said...

i am loving that pillow you made! seriously awesome!

Megan said...

That quilt top is so friggin gorgeous! I love it to pieces. I've been working on a Liberty hex quilt for almost a year now and seeing yours really makes me want to pick mine back up!

Amelia said...

Wow ... I LOVE that hexie quilt!!

Marit said...

Sending lots of pillow love - fab!
And the hexagon is looking stunning already.

Wish you lots of fun and creative projects in the new decade. I think you are of to a fantastic start...
; )

trash said...

Oooo! I hadn't thought of it being a whole new decade. How exciting! I wonder what I shall achieve in this one? Perhaps it may be more tahn I managed in the last. Of course that wouldn't be toooooo tricksy.

Happy New Year to all Chez Monkey.

Lorraine said...

I love the hexie quilt , it is gorgeous !!

Happy New Year to you , the kidlets & Mr Monkey

x0x

Hoola Tallulah said...

Happy New Year Miss Katy <3 Your quilt and cushion are AMAZING and inspiring as always. I miss my nana too (we lost her just before Boo was born). Sending lots of love and new year wishes your way XxX
P.S I love how you call the kids childerbeasts hahaha

Judith said...

Happy New Year to you Katy. This quilt is wonderful, the colours work so well with the backround. I hope you have an inspiring and creative New Year.

Felt~at~home said...

Both of those pillows are truly beautiful - wishing you a happy new year :)

Binky said...

love the string pieced pillow, the piping along the edge is perfect.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!