Saturday, 15 January 2011

making a start on finishing

hi ho, hi ho, it's off to the quilter we go

I'm off to visit the quilter on Monday to pick up this (not so) little baby and drop a couple more quilts into her capable hands.

The rainbow quilt was intended for my mother in law, but I'm having second thoughts now - I think I might get too attached to it when I see it quilted. Truthfully, I'm a bit like that with every quilt I make. I struggle to let them go and even regret it a little bit each and every time. Then I vow I'll make a replacement to take it's place (and never do).

This year (yes, I am going a bit crazy with the good intentions and resolutions) I've made a list of things I want to do (or finish) and stick to it. So here goes;

You know already about my stash pact and the vow to not buy any new fabric (with a few caveats -backings, bindings, sashings if I have nothing at all suitable in my stash)
I will finish the Hexy MF
I will make a Denyse Schmidt single girl quilt (I've been saying that for a while - this time I'm sticking to it, I've already got enough fabric for the background)
I will make a bee quilt or 2 - I've got a heap of bee blocks laying round that haven't been sewn together. Time the poor things got sashed and made into a few tops

What are you planning on doing this year? Any quilty/crafty goals that you really need to scratch the itch of?

15 comments:

two hippos said...

Your stash pact is a challenge and a half! I love the single girl quilt, can't wait to see yours. I'm planning on a tumbling block quilt by hand and finally making your scrap vomit quilt too! I'm going to have to google a bee quilt, not heard of one of those...

Sudi-Laura said...

I want to make the Single Girl Quilt as well. I bought the pattern before my fabric/ shopping diet, and know I have plenty in my stash to make it. I might need a quilt-a-long, or at least some partners in crime!!!

joanie said...

I'm making the same stash pact. But substitute linen for backings and bindings. Happy belated New Year to you Wonder Woman.

Megan said...

Single Girl here we come...! I'm thinking of posting something about it at the end of next week??

Poppyprint said...

A quilt for our bed, that we BOTH like is on the agenda for 2011! Fabric is gathered, pattern is here. Awaiting March retreat for the big start. Good luck on your list, Katy.

Jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jo said...

Your 2011 list sounds positively sensible! Mine, on the other hand, is a little less so. It even has its own space in my blog menu!

Lorraine said...

Good list for 2011
I am admiring your stash pact from afar.
My new fabric now falls promptly to the floor when I attempt to squish
it in!!
So my hopes for this year are to use a good portion of it up making some wedding quilts ( there are 5 this year! )
Youngest daughter is hanging out for her Liberty quilt so that's No 1

Jennwith4 said...

What's a single girl quilt? My resolution has been to finish up my WIP's before starting anything new. It's been hard. Especially with all the lovely new fabrics making appearances and quilt alongs going on. *Sigh* Just gotta buckle down and work harder so I can move on. =)

momto2wasd said...

I want to do some hand quilting and maybe something with wool. Or silk. I'd generally like to explore art quits. I'd love to do a Single Girl quilt, but maybe not this year--I just don't know when I'll do it.

Sarah Craig said...

I have six UFOs I want to finish this year, by the end of June; I'm also dedicating the 25th of each month to sewing for 2011's edition of 100 Quilts for Christmas. And I'm participating in the eight-week fabric diet!

quiltygal said...

Well as usual I'd just like to finish a few ufo's .....we can only hope!!!

Marit said...

I have some finished tops I want to transform into finished quilts. My goal is one a month, and getting to know my longarm quilter better in the same process...
; )

Beth said...

I have 3 WIP that I want to finish. Plus three building projects that I want to start. And well there are a few other crafty ones the I really want to start list as well. And that is just scratching the surface of everything I would really like to make. Just wish I could get more done and had the money to do it.

sko_G knits said...

i am the exact same way with making quilts for others and then wanting to keep them. this is going to sound selfish, but this year i have vowed to make AT LEAST two quilts to keep. i have plans for many more...don't get me wrong, lol... but i have to start small and still keep time for the gifts!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!