Monday, 24 January 2011

single girl quilt along

Single Girl Quilt Along

Who wants to join in with Nova, Megan and me? This quilt has been on my list of must do quilts for some time. I started cutting templates almost a year ago, then gave up, and ignored them. I even mentioned starting a quilt along back then, but it never happened. Fortunately I've got 2 friends to help this time round and together we'll hold your hand through each step and have even set up a support group on flickr for more hand holding (and progress reports). The group is set to private - but just request an invite if you'd like to join. You don't have to make a full quilt if you don't feel ready to take that step - Nova is making a pillow (she has already made 2 twin size quilts, so she's practically an expert), but if you do sign up to play along make at least a pillow - you'll be glad you did!

To play along you will need the following -

* the single girl quilt pattern (there's a list of stockists at the bottom of the post)
* lightweight card stock or template plastic to make the templates
* a pencil for marking your fabrics (if you use dark fabrics a silver pencil or silver gel pen is a great tool)
* fabric scissors (yes - you have to cut those fabrics the old fashioned way with scissors)
* paper scissors (for cutting the templates)
* fabric - the requirements for each size are listed below;

Baby size (4 blocks) :: 43 x 50" :: 1/8 yard each of 31 or 36 fabrics for rings :: 2 1/2 yards of background fabric
Twin (12 blocks) :: 64 x 88" :: 1/8 yard each of 31 or 36 fabrics for rings :: 5 1/2 yards of background fabric
Queen (16 blocks) :: 85 x 92" :: 1/4 yard of 31 or 36 fabrics for rings :: 7 yards of background fabric
King (20 blocks) 106 x 92" :: 1/4 yard of 31 or 36 fabrics for rings :: 8 1/2 yards of background fabric

Scrap lovers - you will need strips of scraps that are at least 3 1/2" wide

*EDIT* - Rosie made a single girl with 9 blocks and used a layer cake for her rings by being very careful with her cutting and placement.

This quilt is probably not the most beginner friendly pattern, but it's not actually difficult - the worst part is the preparation, once you've got all your templates marked and cut out and your fabrics cut it's actually a pretty straightforward pattern. Curved piecing is also very forgiving to slight hiccups, so don't be afraid to give it a whirl. Remember - we are on hand to help out.
Another person on hand is Miss Denyse herself, she said she'll be watching how we're all doing and if we need any clarification on any of the steps to just ask.

We are kicking off with our first post on this blog on Valentine's day (awwww) February 14th, so you have until then to go shopping for your patterns and pick out fabrics. The schedule is listed below.....

14th February - my blog - marking and cutting
21st February - Megan's blog - piecing rings
28th February - Nova's blog - sewing the curves
7th March - my blog - assembly
14th March - Nova's blog - marking the quilting design and hand quilting
21st March - everyone's blog - wrap it up!

You can buy the patterns from these fabulous stores (amongst others).....

Pink Chalk Fabrics
Wish Upon a Quilt (on sale there!)
Blue is Bleu (free US shipping!)
The Stock Room

What are you waiting for? Go buy your pattern, get your solids ordered, choose your fabrics, let's make a quilt!

Looking for solids? You can't get more efficient than Sue at Simply Solid Fabric on etsy and for my UK peeps check out the fabulous Mandy at Simply Solids, Lizzet at The Fabric Loft or Alice at Backstitch

43 comments:

Justine said...

Yay! I'm going to have a go. Think I'll just opt for a cushion for now but who knows!!!

Judith said...

I'm on !! Great. I'll probably go for a huge quilt (again !!) just to make the suffering and agony worthwile. I'm a sucker for punishment. I am back from my holiday on the 14th and this is a great opportunity to start a new quilt. Thanks for organising.

Mandalin said...

Forever!! Have I wanted to make this, forever I tell you!
Great schedule too, the kids will be back to school and well into the routine by then. Plus I'll have a few weeks to clear the decks of other stuff!!

Terri said...

I am in I have wanted to make this quilt forever :)

moira said...

this has been on my list since I bought the pattern last year and saw Nova's beautiful versions. Count me in!

Amy (badskirt) said...

This schedule works well for me. I'm quite busy in February, but I think I am in! I have my pattern already. I might use some Liberty prints, but I still have time to decide.

cauchy09 said...

Oh, I got the pattern just now. Oh, I am scared of this though. I'll definitely need some hand-holding.

Sarah said...

I'm terrible with deadlines but I'd love to give this a go!

Sandy O. said...

Sounds like so much fun! Unfortunately I have zero spare time currently. You girls have loads of fun!

twin fibers said...

yea, I've been waiting for this! I started to cut out the templates too and then totally lost interest. This will be great!

Doe said...

I bought the pattern a year ago hoping to make it but the mind boggling preparation really put me off. Dang too many pieces to draw and cut! Joining the group might be the push I need to just go for it. Shoot, I want in!

Angela said...

Definitely in. I'm tired of this pattern sitting in my cupboard, time to finally use it!

Jennifer said...

I'm going to have to do this one! I have been wanting to make this quilt for my daughter for the past year. Thanks for putting this together!

Jennifer :)

littlebluecottage said...

YAY! YAY! YAY! I am so excited because without all your handholding, I will never make this quilt!!

Kati said...

I just bought this pattern on Saturday. I've wanted to make this quilt for so long, but really debated on committing and buying the pattern. What perfect timing! Now I just have to choose my fabrics.

Kim said...

I'm in ... actually I've had my king-size Single Girl in the works for a couple years (!) ... I thought I could do a Pieced Curves So Simple thing to set the circles into a solid outer block, but they were too big. I just recently busted all 20 blocks back out and am seamripping the quadrants apart, so I could go back and follow the original instructions. Even though I'm ahead, at my rate I'll be finishing up with the rest of you!

Heather said...

I'm in!! I'll do my best to keep up. I've had the pattern for a long time and it's one of my faves. Thanks for organizing this, Katy!

Jo said...

Ooh, that sounds very VERY tempting - I've been wanting to make this quilt for ages. Not sure if I'm up to a huge version (which is what I'd really like to make, but 30 weeks pregnant is probably not the time to start a king size quilt), but I should be able to manage a baby/toddler sized quilt for the new baby. All things being well it will be finished just in time for baby's arrival at the very beginning of April!

Kristen said...

OK! I posted this a couple of weeks ago as a possible February start. I am shocked at the timeline, but it will help me get my feet wet!

Jacey said...

I think I'm going to give it a try. It's such a great pattern, and being in this group will be a great motivator!

rachelmp said...

Big breathe .. I'm in. I just love this pattern and I think I can make it from the stash!

Alexis said...

What impeccable timing! I just cut out templates A, B and D on Saturday! So I'm most definitely in! I've been planning the king size though so I'm not sure I'll meet the final deadline, but I'll certainly get some of the blocks done. Right I'm off to buy more template plastic.

myredbike said...

What a great idea! I've had this pattern since the spring, but haven't tried making any blocks yet. Maybe I'll start with a pillow to get the hang of it? Thanks!

Sydney Simon said...

Awesome! I already have the pattern and was planning to tackle it soon -- this could be just the incentive I need to actually get started!

knitterbocker said...

Ah Katy... this is tempting me out of lurkdom! I have had this pattern since it was released but not gathered the courage to start. I would love to start with a cushion or two but I am not a blogger - would it still be okay to tag along with you guys please?
Jan

Anonymous said...

Oh dear!
My name in bold..
I do have a thing about being as careful as possible when cutting out.
I did cheat a bit- I smuggled a couple of other prints in and pieced together the scraps for the last couple of rings - don't try this at home! - but yes, it doesn't take a lot of printed fabric.
Rosie

kait. said...

Yes! I have had the templates cut out for many months now and this is just what I need to get my butt in gear. Great idea! I'm in :)

Deb said...

Oh, count me in~
How FUN this will be!!!

rderrett said...

As of 30 minutes ago, you can count me in. Getting the pattern and solids plus a subscription to Fat Quarterly from my Mum for a belated Xmas present.

As for my colourway - well it will be bright and a surprise!

Kate @SwimBikeQuilt said...

I finally bought the pattern. With everyone else--I've been wanting to make this quilt for a long long time!

Serena J said...

Wow - talk about a kismet moment! I bought the pattern a few days ago after umming and ahhing over it for a while. Being a bit of a quilting newb I'll need all the help I can get - I'm definitely in!

Cathy said...

Would love to try and do this one Katy. did not get far on the last one, but will try harder this time I promise! xo

Cathy said...

The latest fat quarterly issue was fab by the way! xo

anniem said...

Ok...I'm in....I'm scared...I have the pattern...I have the experience required (I think)...but I'm scared %$#@less that I won't follow through....but Ima gunna try..Thanks for making me so decisive ..not. Ann

Lexi said...

OH! I just bought the pattern because I wanted to make it one day and then I find this gem! Guess I'm making it sooner than I thought. I'm in!

Sally said...

I am definately going to join in this one... love this pattern so much!

Carolanne said...

I've had this on my to do for a long time as well. I have a mad stash of AMH fabrics, Garden Party and Innocent Crush. This will be my first online quilt along. I've been looking for a good reason to blog and this will be it. Thanks for the inspiration - Carolanne

Alice said...

aw, thanks for the link... you are ace!

just wish i had time to join in! x

Heather said...

This is going to be so much fun, I am so glad you guys will be helping us all out through the process of piecing this quilt. I got my paper templates cut out tonight and my fabric chosen!!

Ruby Star said...

alright then, i'm up for a challenge, so let's go :)

Karen said...

How would working with a layer cake work? I am too lazy to accumulate 30 different fabrics. I know that is supposed to be the fun part, but it is hard.

Teri said...

OK...For those of us that just found out about the quilt-along, will there be a second round???

essay writing said...

very beautiful!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!