Tuesday, 12 April 2011

a day at the farm

Yesterday Ginger and I met up with Jen, her friend Alice and Alice's 2 childerbeasts at this cute little farm just outside of Peterborough.

Jen is over in the UK for a momcation for 12 whole days of child and husband free fun. Lucky girl, no?

Anyhoo - it was so awesome to finally meet up face to face (she came with a pile of quilting mags too - I'm all stocked up with reading matter for weeks now - thank you so much Jen!). Did I get a pic of the two of us together? Um. No. I was too distracted by the baby animals and the Mr Horse with his zippity doo-dah out on show. I did get a picture of that....but it's ok, I won't share it with you. It will burn into your brain for the rest of your life. Of course, if I was a Mr Horse I would most likely walk around with my zippity doo-dah on show the whole time. It was pretty spectacular. He looked VERY proud of it (as you would be, I'm sure. Men are men, whatever the species).

Ginger and his new friends played pooh sticks...

P4114184

We all squealed at the ickle baby duckies....

P4114175

I plotted how I could get this beauty home without anyone noticing...

P4114176

As well as play doh face (as Ginger called her) and her eggs that were tucked underneath her cozy feathers...

P4114177

I spotted my Mum as well (I call her old goat. It's a term of endearment. Honestly)....

P4114183

Jen spots the bakery and hunts down cake.....

Jen hunts for cake

Where I grew up in East Anglia pigs live like this - roaming the fields freely and each has a little metal hut like an old fashioned air raid shelter to hide in when it's cold, or too warm, or time for bed. East Anglian pigs have the best life there is as far as pork in progress goes. They may end up as bacon, but they live a good life before then. Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be - as Temple Grandin would say. Happy pigs make me smile. They also make me almost crash my car every time I see them - I have a big love of pigs.

as happy as a pig in....

I love open farms. We have one really close to where we live that we visit a lot. I also love 'real' farms. One of Miss G's best friends lives on a working farm and this time of year is lambing time - so they often have a baby in the house that has been rejected by the mama sheep and needs feeding up to save from dying. If you go round to the house the lamb follows the farmer's wife around like (for want of a better pun) a lost sheep.

Anyhoo - yesterday was such a fun day. And in just a month I'll be meeting up with Jen again - this time in Salt Lake City for Quilt Market! Twice in one year - how cool is that?!!!

13 comments:

Nicole Follow the White Bunny said...

That looks like a lovely day out! Had to giggle like a little girl every time I read 'zippity doo-dah' :)

Mandalin said...

ahhhh pigs! I spent many summer hols from school on a pig farm just outside Cambridge. They make a hell of a din while waiting for their first feed of the day. I've never been able to eat pork, the smell of bacon makes want to cry! Suckling piglets are the cutest things and when they bounce around, giggles all round. Once again you have me walking down memory lane with a smile on my face! Thanks!

cauchy09 said...

Your interest in the horse's wang and how you express it makes me laugh. What a fun day on the farm!

Nicky said...

An elephant is a very large animal - if you know what I mean!

Cute little animal pics - we have lambs near us and they are funny and cute to watch.

Megan said...

I feel robbed. Where is the horse dong?;)

I guess I'll settle for the cute pic of your little Ginger boy.

Charmaine said...

Ahh, couldn't believe it when I read this post. We live 20 miles from Peterborough and have had lots of fun at Sacrewell Farm.

http:/licklepickle.blogspot.com

Poppyprint said...

This post is perfect, I'm in the middle of reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and the photos of the farm and bakery are just what I needed for some imagery to get me through all the writing of the English countryside. There's been several cake eating, tea drinking scenes that I wish I could be IN myself. Looks like you had such a lovely day - and so cool you mum was able to join in, with chin hair and all.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Looks like a cool place...and not too far from me...it has definite field trip possibilities.

Tracey said...

When did your little guy get SO big?? He was just a baby and now he is such a big boy!! Not good mom! He is going to be 30 before you know it.

Anita said...

I just the movie on Temple Grandin recently. What an amazing, amazing movie... and woman... and mother. Looks like a lovely day!

marit said...

Looks like a lovely day:-)

My sister once asked:" Why does that horse have 5 legs???" She is now grown up, and a farmer, so she's found out why...;-D

Mama Spark said...

It looks awesome. I have not seen individual pig huts. Interesting. My friend has a working farm and I get fresh eggs all the time. I too will be at spring market!!! We should try to meet up!!

mo said...

I want to go to the farm with you! It looks so gorgeous and I love the little pig huts too.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!