Friday, 22 April 2011

a propostition

a morning's work

My scrap vomit yearning has started again. Helped in no small part by Thomas and Nicole and the chatter on twitter. Hmm, I wonder if I could get scrap vomit trending on twitter? What does trending even mean? How do I even get a hash tag on a mac keyboard? (oh - there it is - #. It's alt 3. Obviously).

Anyway, back to the scrap vomit. Thomas has done about 150 different degrees in Art and Arty stuff and clearly has one of those freaky arty brains (I have a brother the same - another artist. Used to only wear one kind of trouser, one kind of underpants, one kind of socks and one kind of sweater. He lived with us for a year. He had multiples of each but would only wear that same outfit. Apparently Woody Allen is the same. Most days I wanted to kill him for his obsessive behaviour). So Thomas has come up with the ridiculous (yet brilliant) idea of a queen sized scrap vomit using no repeated fabrics. That's some task. He needs 3,500 different2.5 inch squares. Want to help him? Head over to his blog and you read all about it.

I was thinking I could probably get some help with my blocks after Ruth mentioned that she would love to make me a couple (I didn't even ask!) So I thought 'I have a lot of fabric, I could do with getting rid of some of it so I can close the closet and stuff. I wonder if people would swap fabric for blocks?' Well, it seems they would. I've got elves across the globe cutting 2.5 inch squares for me as we speak. My plan is to get all the A blocks made for me, and then I only have the B blocks to worry about. Queen size quilt, here I come!!!!! I love flickr and twitter and this little online community of awesomeness. Every day I am genuinely touched by someone's kindness or generous spirit.

13 comments:

Little Creatable said...

I'm in! Blogging in progress!

RuthDesigns said...

Can't wait to get sewing!

Ruth x

Siobhan Rogers said...

That's such a cool idea!

bloominworkshop said...

I'd swap blocks for fabric. :) I have way too many scraps and would love to get rid of some. But I gotta go look at the scrap vomit instructions again.

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Technically a quilt with no fabric repeated is called a charm quilt. This sounds amazing, can't wait to see it!

alobsiger said...

You know I'll make you a block or so. But, what if we repeat fabrics across sew-ers? I think you need to set up a bookkeeping Excel spreadsheet and have everyone enter the fabrics they're using and cross-check and weed out duplicates. Don't you? You may now say bad words to or about me.

Katy said...

Oh heck - I'm not doing the no repeats. I'm repeating with pride. Because the thought of having to keep track of all those squares makes me feel lightheaded! Thomas is the fool crazy enough....not me. No sirree. ;)

Rachel Hauser said...

OMG, fabric for blocks? that is hilarious, but so totally believable. I'm going to pretend I didn't hear your proposition...

Karamat said...

I'll make you a block or two... I've been thinking of making something scrappy with 2.5" squares and a couple of blocks will give me a taste.

Wandering Threads said...

I will gladly pitch in too! How many do you want?

Laura said...

I'm coming in a bit late, but I'd love to make you a block, since I just did a shedload of scrap-shopping (for a blog post, I swear! it was research! *looks shifty*) and was wondering what to do with it all now. We're about to move into a new house, so normal projects are probably out of the question. Chopping and sewing straight lines? That sounds much more do-able :)

Do you still need blocks?

Jessica said...

i'd love to send some blocks your way! i have one block to go for my own technicolor yawn and seem to still have a basket full of squares. i guess i got carried away with the cutting - or have way more scraps than i thought!

Stacey said...

I wish I knew enough people to accomplish this!

I'd love to make you a block if you still need/want more.

Let me know if you do...

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive