Tuesday, 10 May 2011

The Dixon

plain spoken in progress

A new quilt in progress. Nothing like starting something right before you're due to go away and ignoring the laundry, the packing, the sorting and the everything else.

This quilt has been on my list forever. The book came out in 2005. It's been on my radar for about 3 years, I think. For some reason I decided it'd be a bit of pain to make and picking all the colours would be a headache. Ha - not so. I did all the cutting and got 6 rows (out of 13 - for a twin size) done in a little over 3 hours. I'm hoping to get a bit more done today before I pack up my machine and quit the sewing until I get back from market. Picking a section and a half out of the bounty of basics box made the job even simpler. Those clever folks at Kaufman have it all sorted for you if you want to make something like it - just pick up a kona bundle and the 22 fat quarters will make you a decent lap/napping quilt size.

I've called it the Dixon after this girly. Because it makes me think of her (and thinking of her always makes me smile).

Have you read up on the scavenger hunt game? Go check it out - you don't have to go to Market to play, it's for everyone. A little bit of fun, including prizes. I'm hoping it makes everyone feel like they are at Market, because if I could take you all I so totally would and we'd just hang out and have the best time.

17 comments:

Nadine said...

wow. this is gorgeous.

two hippos said...

those plains look fabulous!! Have lots of fun at the quilt market too..

Justine said...

Lovely!

Leila said...

It's beautiful Katy!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Awesome colour combo!!! Is the pattern from the Modern Quilt Workshop? I love that book!

Ruth said...

Ooh I really like this. The colours are fab together. I like the name too - I'm also a fan of Kate at One Flew Over!

One Flew Over said...

You are bloody hilarious! I love, love, love the colours in this, so subtle yet they pack a punch.

Have the most wonderful, fabulous time at market and have a drink for me xx

Jackie said...

Will you be at the Quilt Market Meetup?? Looking forward to bumping into you!!

The Calico Cat said...

I'm starting my second on of these! My current one will be sooooooo different from the one in the book. I will be adding light prints (prints with a lot of white) with the light solids. & I hope to be very scrappy. I need 280 "blocks" so I hope to use 200 different prints once or twice & have the rest be solids. Ala:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stitchindye/4838905974/
&/or
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redpepperquilts/5463388419/in/set-72157607481499797

Kelly said...

Your quilt is the perfect example of how even solid colors can be put together with stunning results. Love this quilt!

RosaMarĂ­a said...

I made it last year and it is one of my favorites!

love your color choices, it will be so precious!

jenni said...

Oh, I love!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

It is really beautiful. What a lovely solid project.

Deborah said...

This is beautiful- I am always drawn to patterned fabric- this has inspired me to try more solids!

Poppyprint said...

I just love this!! It's hilarious that you are quilting in lieu of all that other 'fun stuff' to do pre-Market. Bon voyage!

Helen in the UK said...

Gorgeous colours :)

Patti said...

Katy I love your blog. I only came here to see your satchel, which I couldn't find, but your blog is wonderful. I hope you have a wonderful time when you're away from Blighty.
Love
Your new stalker
Patti xxx

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive