Thursday, 5 May 2011

little packages

cutting cutting cutting and bagging

Thank you for all the comments on my last post. I really loved reading through them all, and thank you to Krista for talking me through setting up the comments thingy so I can reply to them via email. Yay. Now there's no escaping me - I'll email you as well as waffling on here (unless you have a no-reply address, then I can't...but I have been sending lots of emails to noreply@blogger.com. I wonder if anyone reads them?) Note to self - check first before pressing send.

Life here in Monkey Towers is hectic at the minute. I've got a lot of Fat Quarterly stuff and other bits to get done this week, so I've been doing less sewing and more computer stuff. You can tell my brain doesn't get used as much as it used to - I look like I've been up for the past week and not had a wink's sleep. Not a good look. Countdown to my trip to Market - this time next week I'll be on a plane, on my way. Eek! If I can find wi-fi I'll be tweeting. If I get a chance I'll blog too. If you are on twitter - I'm @ImAGingerMonkey. Come say hi. Mostly I say nothing of any note at all, but it's nice to chat, I think.

So, I've got about 3 million things to get crossed off my list before I go. One of them is getting my fabrics sorted for the quilting bee I'm in. Scrap Vomit part deux is underway. I've had 8 'A' blocks arrive so far (thank you to Fiona, Audrey and Rachel) and I'm getting my bee peeps to make 'B' blocks - the ones with the diamond shaped rings. Muchos excitement was had (by me, alone in the house) this morning as I cut the fabrics, sorted through my scraps and bagged up the packages. Next stop - post office.

bee prep

I know the blogosphere is full of pics of this stuff, but I've got some now so I'm going to show you anyway. Denyse Schmidt fabrics for Joann's. I'm really happily surprised by the quality and the colours and, well, all of it, actually. It's great. Happy happy me. And thanks to the quilt dude for picking it up for me xxxx. I noticed there are plenty of etsy sellers stocking it - I've bought the other colourway from here.

oh! <3 muchly!

The husbeast informed me last night that his salary is getting cut because of the recession. It's a pretty hefty cut too, and means things will be incredibly tight. But I always like to look on the bright side - now I am actually physically banned from buying fabric I'll be better with stashpact, won't I? And it may encourage me to get into that fabric closet and see what treats lurk behind the doors. Anyone fancy coming round and helping sort through my fabric? Like the experts do on Hoarders? Ill get you one of those bio suits and gloves to wear, just in case there's a family of mice in there. (I'm serious - about the coming round and helping me, not the mice. I'm sure there's no mice).

27 comments:

randi said...

it's good that you are looking at the bright side of having less money to spend! i am sure many beautiful projects will come out of it!

happy scrap organizing! :)

cauchy09 said...

hooray for StashPact, for real! :o)

Trash said...

I'll come up and do it! That would be so much fun. In fact I reckon Maria would be up for the trip too. Hehehehe.

Ruth said...

I will gladly come over from Hebden Bridge and help you! If you ARE serious, that is! :-)

Lisa said...

Funny - we've got a mouse plague out here in country Victoria (Australia) and what I'm most worried about is my fabric stash! They can have the pantry, just leave my stash alone!

Lucky I have two cats who are both expert mousers...my quilty friends have been asking for a lend of them!

Barb said...

Hello!
I just found your wonderful blog and look forward to coming back to really read it.
Your work is so fresh and fun!
I'll be back for more, much more.

Tiffany said...

If you were closer to me I would totally come help you sort! Glad there are no mice haha.

Sorry to hear about your husband's salary cut, I hope you will find ways to economize and be ok! We are desperately searching for another job for my hubby so we can get out our 1 bedroom and have kids sometime this century... but the economy is awful right now. Def. know about small budgets and we both work full-time and have Master's degrees... yikes!

Hoola Tallulah said...

I am in Leeds weekend of 13th May, I have my crazy sister and friend in tow, otherwise I would be donning my bio suit and helping you dig in, and mice, after living in a French farmhouse, I can do mice!
Stash pact for real, wowsers!

audreypawdrey said...

I am so glad you received your blocks from me, and I hope you like them! I would be happy to help you sort through your closet if I were closer, and I hope you get some sleep as you are preparing for quilt market!

Lindsay Conner said...

Why do I love that you called him husbeast? I might use that... ;)

two hippos said...

just love the idea of popping round to help with your stash, you never know what you will find. But sadly I'm miles away.......

Jo @ a life in lists said...

I would love to come help you! As long as you don't mind the additional 'help' offered by the 5 week old baby. And did I mention the toddler...?

I bet you uncover all kinds of gems though, I look forward to seeing what appears!

Judith said...

Bummer about the husbeast sallery. It must be hard but you are a tough chick and I am sure you find ways and means. I would love to come around and put on the attractive bio-suit !! But Yorkshire is a bit far from London. But perhaps we meet in Birmingham this year at the Quilt festival (which really must look small to you as you have been already to the big ones in USA).

Mego said...

Sorry to hear about the husbeast cut in pay. I just HATE that when it happens (and mgmt. pretends you are lucky to still have a JOB! I know you ARE but...). So now I think we need a STASH VOMIT quilt. Whaddya think?

Tracy J said...

I think that would be SO fun to help someone sort and reorganize their stash. Too bad you live so far away. And with the price of gas and my 56 mile commute to work every day, I just took a serious pay cut as well. I too am on a fabric buying halt. Happily, I have plenty of fabric on hand to last for a good while.

badlandsquilts said...

If I lived closer I'd be glad to help, despite being messy I do like organizing fabric.

I was on a fabric diet like that most of last year as my DH had layoff hanging over him...does give one a chance to get caught up with what you have.

Helen said...

Oh a fabric sort-out I always enjoy those, rearranging fabrics just makes you look at them differently! Also sympathies on the salary cut - my belt's been tightened to the point I've been mincing about like one of those Victorian teeny-tiny corset ladies for the last two years. Hopefully it won't be for long chick! Love the last few posts btw. x

elsy said...

it would be the spiders i'd be bothered about....sorry to hear you news, its really tough at the minute isn't it.....love your last post by the way, very honest and refreshing, love that.

rderrett said...

Sorry about the husbeasts paycut - that's a bit harsh really. I know what you mean about the stashpact but my stash is tiny compared to most.

I would love to come up and help you sort out the closet. I'm not worried about the possibility of mice so I'd dispense with the biohazard suit and settle for a regular change of drool bib and plenty of Diet Coke! shame I can't get up North to help really!

Wendz said...

Darn the economy, I hope this doesn't mean less juicy stuff from you :) I'm just down (up?) the road if you want a hand, just shout.
wendzneil [at] googlemail [dot] com

Lexilooo said...

I went to Joann's last weekend, as I'd been dying to see the DS prints that everyone had been raving about. The store I went to only had a few, but I wasn't wild about them :( Am I awful?

Paula said...

Omg - was it hard to set up the email reply? that has been driving me nuts since I switched over to Blogger. Love your outlook on the brightside!!!

Mandalin said...

Buying my ticket!! I'll dive in that cupboard for you, ha, I wish.
My dh was made redundant Oct '9, it was tough as I was and still am, a full-time Mum. But we got used to having MUCH less money and going without for a year. He's retrained now and has two teaching jobs, he's like a pig in s**t!!!

Justine said...

Morning bird! Can I have some sharesies on the the DS pretty please??!!

Your fabric packages for the bee look cute!

Apryl said...

if you ever need help sorting things out I will help. i really do like to sort things out. I think I work messy just so I can sort things out afterwards... well sometimes a week or so afterwards but I still like to organize things.

RuthDesigns said...

Is one of those packets of vomit for me?? is it? is it? *jiggles with anticipation*

Allison said...

My sympathy on the Husbeast's paycut :( I'd be over to arrange fabric if there wasn't this ocean between us; hope you find some great inspiration lurking in your closet & drawers to keep you busy. I can't wait to see how your latest Scrap Vomit quilt turns out, I loved your other one. I added a scrap vomit to my own loooong list of future projects :)

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive