Monday, 27 June 2011

all the single ladies

single girl - it's a wrap!

She's finished!
The fruits of the quilt along have ripened and fallen from the tree and now I'm eating them all up. Yum.

I kind of wish I'd have gone bigger. But I can always make another, can't I?

single girl in the sun

To break some cool kid rules I used something that you don't see too often on the blogs of 'our crew' these days. They get sniffed at and usually result in sneers. I would bet big money that in a swap most of you have specifically said you don't want them used. (I hold my hands up - I have).

What are they?

single girl - close up

Batiks.

Yep. I mixed in batiks I got from the really great Flare Fabrics in Canada (Marlene has some really cool fabrics, not just batiks. You should check her out) with my favourite 3 lines from this past year. Sarah Fielke's from little things, Tula Pink's Parisville and Anna Maria Horner's Innocent Crush. The batiks really go well, I think. The colours blend in so beautifully and the beauty of batiks is the texture they add. The fabric is so different all over, so you can cut randomly and get a heap of different looking tones and shades.
I'm trying to think outside the comfort zone these days - hence the kona raisin as a background instead of failsafe charcoal and the batiks. I really, really love the result. I love how the different fabrics play together and I love the little surprise element of the batiks. Long armed Chris (my quilter) made a quilt using just batiks and innocent crush and I love it. I'll have to ask her if I can get a photo next time I go over. I think it's my favourite quilt I've seen in a long, long time. The colours are so rich and gorgeous and it's amazing - but just a simple churn dash block. It would go perfectly in my house too - maybe I could distract her by pointing to the ceiling and tuck it up my sweater like they do in cartoons? Chris is a 'proper' quilter, I'm learning a lot from her just from popping over and chatting for a little while when I drop off quilt tops. If I was single and about 10 or 15 years younger I'd try and snaffle one of her sons so I could have her as my mother in law.

In totally unrelated news - I've booked my flights and hotel for Quilt Market in Houston this fall. And my friend Lu is coming too. SQUEEEEEEEEE!!!!! (Yep, I'm pretty excited about that).

37 comments:

aneela said...

Wowsers!!! Those fabrics sit perfectly together you batik-ing rebel you.
And the quilting is perfect!!! Love those circles. If I was 15 years younger and still lived up north, I may have had to snaffle another of Chris's sons (after you had had your pick course).

cauchy09 said...

oh, you should be really proud of this quilt! and use whatever fabrics you like. batiks come is so many different flavors that i wouldn't reject them as a rule.

gorgeousness!

Sadie said...

Love it! :-)

Dorothee said...

Love the quilting, it goes really well with the pattern. Also, the colour of the background, very delicious!

Nicky said...

Sweet quilt! That raisin is yummy and I love the mix of other fabrics - including batiks! The quilting is the cream on the cake - and now I'm feeling hungry...

Andi said...

Gorgeous quilt, gorgeously quilted!!

Ann Marie said...

I've never met a fabric I didn't like. Batiks included. I often mix them into my quilts.

Nancy said...

I love the raisin color....so pretty...reminds me of grape kool-aid... and the quilting is perfect..

Alexis said...

Gorg, gorg, gorg! Love it, and the batiks look fab, i have a few in my stash (my nearest quilt store is full of them!)

RuthDesigns said...

The only time I reject batiks is if i'm going to hand quilt.. much too much like hard work!

Love the rich raisin background.. just delicious!

Sequana said...

I am such a Raisin lover - it looks a lot more purple out in the sun...but still good.

When I first looked at it, I thot you did all those circles in the quilting. I should have known. *S*

Wonderful interpretation of this pattern.

Cass said...

Looks fantastic.

MN2NM said...

Gorgeous! I love the quilting, too! I started out quilting using only batiks and now I use mainly prints and solids. But I really love the idea of bringing the two together. I have my templates cut out - just waiting for the right fabric to come along...

savvy stitch said...

Fabulous!

nanannwoogies said...

I can't imagine making a quilt *without* batiks -- I've never understood the general dislike of batiks in the modern quilt movement. So happy to see someone accept them, even if in just tiny bits and pieces to start...

Jenniffier said...

Wonderful job. I really don't understand the not liking batiks thing. I think they add an interesting texture. I have noticed that too that people often turn up their nose to them now. I am true believer of what ever makes you happy :) Quilting looks great and I love the purple as a neutral.

**nicke... said...

i will hold my head high and say i am a batik hater. well not hater, just not lover. but honestly i think i could be brought over to the other side after seeing your quilt. batiks in small teaspoonfulls...i can do.

i'm loving that pebble quilting btw, did you do it yourself??

alexia said...

oh, it looks amazing, I love all of the fabrics you used!!! And the quilting is perfect!

Angie said...

I love your quilt, and I love batiks, don't feel bad they are beautiful fabrics too!

Caitlin said...

I LOVE the raisin background. I think its dreamy :) Also, the pebbling/quilting looks amazing!! So meticulous!

Justine said...

It looks fab Katy - I so need to crack on with mine!!

lu summers said...

EPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

lu summers said...

oh, and luscious quilt btw. you're so cool, i expect you can singlehandedly make batiks 'the' fabric to have...i've always like them, cool or not.

Poppyprint said...

I'm hanging on to my huge batik stash. They add luminosity and texture to quilts that flat, computer-generated graphic prints cannot. I also really appreciate the centuries-old process by which they are made. The hand-carved wax stamps are incredible!

You're right, they play very nicely with your other fabrics here, and also look fab with the raisin background. It's another stunner by the gingermonkey.

Lauren P said...

Beautiful!! I love the circle quilting!

Sarah said...

Gorgeous single girl :-)

Angela {fussycut} said...

Katy it is gorgeous! Love everything about it, the batiks are perfect and beautiful. Fabulous quilting as well, Chris sounds pretty great. xx

Ingrid said...

That quilt is beautiful! I love love love the background fabric!

Little Bluebell (Adrianne) said...

It's lovely!!

Bellgirl said...

Funny- I'm sneaking some batiks into my son's Single Girl too! I made most of a very hungry caterpillar quilt with them and they really hit the spot in that project. My mum told me that if you have style you can make things work that others might not try ;)

Bellgirl said...

BTW I am single- could you please post a pic of Chris's sons? ;)

amy smart said...

Fab. And the quilting is perfect. PERFECT. And way to break with the cool kid rules while you're at it.

Judith said...

Looks great and I love the bubbles. I also used Batiks recently in my Brit Swap quilt.

momto2wasd said...

You're such a rebel--using fabric you love, even if they aren't 'cool'! Of course, they'll be cool now! I love the raisin!!

Jo @ a life in lists said...

Wow, the batiks look fab - not that I actually noticed them until you pointed them out...


Huge quilt market envy - surely I could abandon toddler/breastfeeding baby and sneak into your luggage?

sewkatiedid said...

love the solid and love the circles.

littlemissmk said...

ooh, i love that you went out of your comfort zone and ignored the "cool kid rules." the result is amazing. love it. and i LOVE the quilting.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!