Wednesday, 8 June 2011

I'm a Farmer's wife

Farmer's Wife - first 4 blocks

Well, not in real life, I mean in the quilty sense. Amanda and Angela have started a quilt along using the book 'The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt'. It's a long term project making only 2 blocks a week (there are over 100) and a good deal of the blocks are very simple (see my pic up there?) so I figure on some weeks I could maybe get 3 done and others just 1. I'm not too fussed about the end line, it'll just be nice to make some small blocks for once (they finish up at 6") and to challenge myself a little when it comes to the tough blocks (inset seams, anyone?)

I'm making my quilt in Liberty print tana lawns. And as scrappy as possible, so no real planning with the colours or the matching of prints. I'm hoping the dark backgrounds (I'll use mostly black and newsprints/texty fabrics) will help co-ordinate the 'eclectic' prints. If I'd have thought about it before I started cutting I'd have probably cut those newsprints on point so they read straight when the quilt's assembled. To save face (and to make it look intentional) I'll most likely mix it up a bit, cut some on point and some normal, so it looks like I planned it that way and I'm not just a jump in feet first and not think too much klutz. I have no idea about sashing. Maybe I'll use a small scale liberty print for that. Let's face it, I have a good year before I have to start worrying about that, though!

You can sign up too - the flickr group is here.

21 comments:

Kate quilts... said...

It will be unusual and beautiful in the fabrics you're using. Wish I'd thought of it.

One thing though - if you cut your text fabric on point you will have a lot of bias edges. Remember the spray starch! :D

two hippos said...

I love the blocks you have done, the tana lawn will make a wonderful quilt.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Ohhh I've been tempted by this QAL, your blocks might be the ones to push me over the edge into my sewing room. After all they're only little...

Cathy said...

Oh Wow, liberty farmers wife, lovely! xo

Listen to your mother said...

Oh no not you too.....

Sarah@PingsAndNeedles said...

they're lovely ... I'm tempted but just got too much on my plate ... I may weaken yet!

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

Katy, I made a SORT OF Farmer's Wife -- http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_a89E6VQeHnc/TOB73jNjAnI/AAAAAAAAESo/FD3X9zRicE0/s1600/DSCN2399.JPG -- substituting some blocks I could make more easily than those that required strange templates. All of the FW's I've seen have been made from CW repros. I LOVE your choice of fabrics!

Jo @ a life in lists said...

It looks great! I was contemplating Liberty fabrics for mine, so no doubt I will end up hugely envious and regretting not using them. Ho hum.

Megan said...

Oh crap Katy. I'm about to drop baby any day and all I can think about is starting a new quilt?? These beauties aren't helping. Off to buy the book today.

Jennifer said...

That newsprint fabric is really cool-- do you know where you got it, or what it's called or anything?

I am not normally a big fan of black backgrounds but I think your dark colors look GREAT with those particular prints. :)

littlemissmk said...

i so want to join this. but i have 50 projects i need to actually complete. i'll just have to settle for being a farmer's wife vicariously through you ladies. ;) i love your blocks- you had me at liberty.

Poppyprint said...

I'm so excited to see people embracing these traditional quilt blocks and making them in so many different styles of fabric. Yours are beautiful! I operate the same way - both feet or no feet!

Rachel Hauser said...

Oh, the black is a fun twist!

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

Your blocks are just too divine! I love absolutely everything about them - the Libertys themselves of course, but also how beautifully they contrast with the dark is just knock out! Your FW will be amazing. I'm still trying to persuade myself i can do it, maybe the Farmers Girlfriend version of 1 block per week…less commitment than being a wife...

Molly said...

I love the traditional quilt blocks in these beautiful fabrics and color combos! I like your idea to mix it up to look intentional. Flying by the seat of your pants, huh? For me, most of these "I meant to do that" results, end up being my favorites.

Lotti said...

Ooh it looks lovely. I'm joining in too, just waiting for my book to arrive

Annabella said...

How do you find using Liberty prints? I am making a Union Jack quilt from them at the moment and while beautifully soft and luxourious I find them a little slippy to work with. I`m so tempted by this quilt but I don`t think I have enough scraps yet!

lykkefanten said...

Looks gorgeous already, and I think the black will work very well in tying it all together.

Lucia said...

I really love your use of black. This is going to be gorgeous.

happy zombie said...

You're bringin' sexy block… you're bringin' sexy block...

jmbmommy said...

So glad you are bringing the black back!!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!