Saturday, 25 June 2011

a new toy

small yet mighty


I'm sure you've seen plenty of these little Accuquilt GO! Baby cutters popping up around blogland over the past year. When I was asked if Id like to review one on my blog I have to say I jumped at the chance. I was curious to see how they worked and whether they really were going to be something I used or something that just added to the ever growing pile of 'stuff' in my house.
In all honesty I was a little bit sceptical. They're not cheap - so if you are planning on making that kind of investment you really need to be sure about it, right? It has to be something that you will use on a pretty much daily basis.
Since it arrived I've had a lot of fun playing. I have a tutorial for the tumbler pillow you can just see in the photo up there on the Fat Quarterly blog this coming Wednesday (27th) and I'm working on a second tutorial for here (bear with me for this one - it's curved seams, I'm going as fast as I can).

I have been using the 2 1/2" strip die a lot. I think of all the dies I could buy that would be the one I'd use most of all. That was why I picked it. I make my bindings 2 1/2" wide, and I love scrappy bindings, so this is perfect for it. In fact, I used it to make the miles and miles of binding here and it was a breeze. It's worth it's purchase price for that alone, in my mind.

{happiness}

I kind of like cutting fabrics, but sometimes I need to do it at night when the kids are in bed and I would rather watch TV. That's the beauty of the accuquilt GO! baby cutter - last night I sat and cut out all of the blocks I need for my drunkards path project whilst sitting on the floor in my sitting room and watching some trashy TV. I had a little pail next to me for the waste and I sat and rolled and cut for a little while - it went fast, because you can stack up 6 layers of fabric at one time. I tried 6 and it was a bit tricky with the drunkards path shapes, but for the strips it works brilliantly. I found 4 layers worked really, really well for the smaller, more intricate shapes.
Another bonus with the strip cutter (for me personally) is that I can then cross cut the strips into 2 1/2" squares for the scrap vomit quilt. A 2 1/2" square makes me a happy girl. And I need a lot of them for a scrap vomit quilt.  I don't think there's a die for 2 1/2" squares for the Baby cutter...yet. But it's ok, cross cutting those strips the 'old fashioned way' isn't too much of a bind, you know.

The only prep I needed to do was to press my fabrics and cut them into strips the same size as my cutting mat and die - so 6" x 24" for the strips and 6" x 12" for the smaller shapes like the drunkards path or the tumblers. In all honesty, I could probably fold them over accordian style like Krista did when she cut her 2" squares, and that would save me a little job.

GO! baby!!!!!!!!

If you're in the UK Claire at Patch Fabrics sells the bigger GO! Cutter and a wide selection of the dies as well. Plus she's really nice, so you should make friends with her.

9 comments:

Rachel Ellington said...

Great review! I've been eyeballing that and wondering as well if it is worth it, or just more clutter! Thanks for the info!

Joy said...

Thanks for reviewing this. I just got one as a gift and wasn't sure how useful it would be. I also love scrappy binding, so that will probably be my first project...thanks for the idea!

Jenniffier said...

Nice review. I guess I could have asked for this for my b-day. Maybe I will remember at Christmas time.

One Shabby Chick said...

Oh that looks so fun - and I was thinking that 2 1/2" strip die was probably awesome for bindings! Thanks for the review.

Poppyprint said...

ooo, goodie! More friends playing. I got the tumbler die, so I'll be waiting on your tute, Katy. Yes, I think I was ambitions cramming 8 layers through my Baby. I'll stick to 4 or 6 in the future, because I did get some shifting of the fabric. I was really, really, hoping for a 2 1/2" square die b/c I want to start cutting scraps for my very own scrap vomit quilt one day. Guess I'll have to settle for the strip die, which sounds like a good option.

Hey, since you cut your binding at 2 1/2", do you sew it on with a heftier seam allowance than a 1/4"? I like a little bit of a wider binding than most, as well...

Lindsay Conner said...

Trashy TV--do tell! Confession: I watch The Bachelorette...

Minette said...

Enjoy your new toy! I just bought myself the GO! last month, haven't made anything yet. I am waiting for my tumbler die and hexie die !

beth lehman said...

Strip dies for sure - 2 1/1 inch + some other sizes for quick log cabins and rail fence quilts. Thanks for this chance! elizabethlehman@hotmail.com

ThirdMargaret said...

Spiffy! I am slowing saving for one of these as I read more and more positive reviews! Thanks for your two-cents worth!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive