Monday, 15 August 2011

FoQ off

Phew. I'm back from doing actual real life, stood on my feet, smiling sweetly, dealing with the public work for a whole 4 days AND I'm still alive to tell the tale.
It wasn't all work at FoQ (the Festival of Quilts). We did a lot of messing about whilst demonstrating the delightful wares that Eternal Maker had for sale (Tacha's hat is my new design - don't copy it, I'm expecting a call from Karl Lagerfeld shortly to include it in Spring 2012's couture collection for Chanel)

NB - there'll be a skirt tute on whipstich using Melody's Bee fabric really, really soon, like next week or something. Melody told me that, so I'm telling you. 

pic stolen from Mandy

We hung out with Mandy and her husband most evenings at the pub (and they were just down the aisle so we could wave at them lots too)

Simply Solids Booth

Tacha and me also taught a class on English Paper Piecing that was really good fun AND the students liked us AND we didn't crash and burn (don't even mention the lecture I took last minute on Friday - that was not so successful. That was, in fact, a complete and utter disaster...but the ladies (that actually sat through to the end - yes, there were some early leavers. I don't blame them, I would have too if I could. I almost did) assured me they wouldn't hunt me down and lynch me. Although I am sleeping with a tyre iron under my pillow just in case).

busy little beavers


Super B made a banner (that stuck to the wall the whole time with only spit and bent-to-death cheap pins from Leeds Market)

Booth Banner

There were even some quilts...like this one that should have won muchos muchos prizes (and not because it was made by my friend. No, that is not the only reason, it just should have)

shoulda won every category

All in all it was a great few days. We had a fab booth, it was nice and big and lots of lovely people stopped by to say Hi (I'm waving at you - wave back). I spent quite a lot of time hassling the poor man from Horn cabinets into making me a red, high gloss sewing cabinet with no handles, just those fancy magnetic closures you get on kitchen cabinets and wire baskets instead of plastic ones. I also want metal casters, like on the bottom of hospital trolleys. I don't think he took much notice of me, despite being a genuinely good sport and putting up with my constant pestering (and really quite mean comments about his product) but if you see them make anything other than the 'wood effect' finishes in the coming years you have me to thank (yes, I'll take full credit, and the royalty cheque can be made payable to me too, thanks). Admit it - a high gloss sewing cabinet that looked more like this than this, that would be something, wouldn't it? I'd buy it. Actually, I've designed it, so I'll have a free one already, but I'd buy another, maybe an aqua one to go with my red one.




23 comments:

Cajame said...

Great post. Would so love to have visited. Definitely a need for girly stylish cabinets. How hard can it be?

susan said...

Put me down for a teal blue cabinet please. Saw you at the show, even blogged your photo for Lynne but you don't know me so just another silent admirer.

Flying Blind... said...

Oh go on, just make a cabinet, bet you could, if you tried!

memmens said...

Good to see you're still hyper! You will surely crash and burn at some point!
I was too tight to buy a show guide so thanks for letting us know if was Lu's quilt - I loved it too!

sko_G knits said...

why do all the sewing cabinets have to look so cheap and crappy? i honestly would love to start a line of sewing furniture that looks like REAL furniture, like in the "olden days"

eternal maker said...

i like the outfits - tres chic! It's good to see our fabrics being put to good use. (Liking the zoolander poses too). I'd definitely get a sewing cabinet if it looked like that. Well, if I could afford it, and if I had space for it. then definitely.

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

It sounds like a great time! I love that Fat Quarterly sign so much!!!

Bobbi said...

I just painted my new Featherweight table bright high glossy red - see pix on my blog from Aug 7! Great minds think alike - red is the new neutral.

Nic said...

Looks like you had fun at FoQ.
I agree with you, the horn cabinets are butt ugly. They definitely need to bring their design into the 21st century. I might actually buy one then.

jo said...

It was lovely seeing you at the FoQ. I now have proof that you all exist and that I haven't been involved in some strange internet conspiracy for the last two years :-)

trash said...

Glad you all had a great time (disasterous lectures not withstanding [surely it can't have been that bad?]). I thought of you all up there without a scrap of envy or any wishing that I was there to stop past and say Hi, none at all - honest.




(So... anything to match the 'glory' of quilts from previous years?)

Dorothee said...

That star quilt was one of my favourites too ... and purchased fabric at the Simply Solids stand but how did I miss the FQ stand!? Drats!

Glad you had a good time, I did too!

Nicky said...

Glad to see you and take your photo for Lynne!

You are right and you could start a campaign to change the colour right here - if lots of people agreed they would be seriously mad if they did not respond!

two hippos said...

you looked fabulous at the fair and great to meet you! I was exhausted having done a 3 day fair, then the NEC, I'll stay for 2 days next year.

Sarah said...

Glad it went well. The FQ banner looks gorgeous, and you're so right about the cabinets!

Mrs Yoastie said...

I'd buy a duck egg blue cabinet. :-)

Helen said...

Glad to hear it went well - you must be exhausted! I'm in complete agreement about the sewing cabinets...it should be like choosing a kitchen - choose the configuration, then the finish and then the details. Or maybe they could be like SMART cars with snap on, snap off panels to change the look?!

Melanie said...

Katy, I was good to meet you and say hello at the Festival of Quilts. I am enjoying my festival edition of Fat Quarterly. Thank you!

Nicola said...

Hi - so glad I could stop by and say "Hi" to you at The Festival of Quilts - oh yes a shiny red Horn cabinet would be ideal for me too - oh, and have just downloaded the latest issue of The fat Quarterly - it's fab as always!!

Stacey said...

I am really excited about a shiny red horn cabinet....what is with that wood effect, its so 70's...but in a bad way!!! I bought a white horn cabinet...it's has a cheap dental clinic feel to it...which is only marginally better than a bad 70's look!

pat sloan said...

ahhh.. you survived 4 days in the booth.. it's amazing isn't it? And retail is more crazy than the trade shows!

savvy stitch said...

The Horn cabinet company could take a few pointers from you! The products they sell definitely need to be updated.

I would have loved to go to the quilt show. It looks like you had a lot of fun.

Kristen said...

Fantastic cabinets, but your right! I would be much more interested in color than wood grain/white!!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!