Sunday, 7 August 2011

from the fast to the sooooooo slow

still on-going...


After my super fast quilt top in a day (actually, it was more like an afternoon and evening, if I'm honest) it's back to the incredibly slow and long winded Hexy MF. The end is in sight now, though. I've got all the hexagon flowers for the border basted on and I'm working my way through hand appliqueing them, and I've made a start on the leaves. I really do need to get a wriggle on if I'm going to get it finished in time for Angela to quilt it and bring it to Market in just under 12 weeks (yikes!).

I've ordered continuous yardage of an Innocent Crush print for the backing (although I can't remember which one I ordered), because it was on sale even though I really would have liked to use a velveteen or a voile for a purely luxurious and decadent quilt. The sensible side of me caved and said 'the top is voile, you can stroke that, just go for the cheaper option on the back'. I might regret that later, but I'm really needing to save some pennies right now and if I want fancy quilting from the Queen of Quilting herself I'll suck it up and be happy to get the darn thing finished.

The binding has been ready and waiting for ever (well, I did make 38 yards of it)....

{happiness}

18 comments:

Jenniffier said...

It looks wonderful!

Nicky said...

That must have taken a long time to applique!? But soooo worth it!

Sarah said...

ooh Katy its looking gorgeous!

Andi said...

Its looking absolutely stunning Katy!!

Annabella said...

That`s one beautiful quilt.

mascanlon said...

Gorgeous, love the grey background!

Molly said...

I want your binding! It's going to look great.

Poppyprint said...

This quilt is going to be so extra specially. Are you very happy that you decided to hand applique the stems in lieu of fusing? They look amazing.

emedoodle said...

This is fabulous!

**nicke... said...

38 yards of binding... heaven.

Ruth said...

Love the burst of colour in the 'flower' hexie at the front of the Photo! Genius!

Mary said...

It really is beautiful!

Justine said...

It looks great Katy!

Me? A Mom? said...

I'm sorry, I can't stop thinking about 38 yards of binding. LOL

Love what you're doing.

Carla said...

looking forward to seeing that amazing hexie quilt.

Jo @ a life in lists said...

Oh wow, that looks amazing. I've cracked out another hand pieced hexagon quilt for the train journey to and from the Quilt Festival at the NEC this weekend. Hope the stupid riots don't get in the way of the festival or my hand piecing!

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

Yum, yum and more yum!

Mrs Yoastie said...

Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive