Friday, 5 August 2011

a Merry Grinchmas

snow in August?

Freaky weather we're having in these parts today. Look at that snow storm. I had to put my salopettes on especially to take that pic. Yeh, alright, it's just one of the cool effects from picnik.

The weather here has been pretty rubbish though, this week we've had thunderstorms, rain by the bucket full and even a little bit of hail. And today it's sunny. Go figure. Welcome to the Great British Summertime.

I've been busy sewing up the 12 fat quarters of Dr Seuss Grinch fabrics I got from Lola Pink Fabrics. I wanted to make something fun and fast, so I cut up each FQ into 4 pieces loosely based on the turning twenty pattern (I say loosely because I didn't have the book to hand and so I kind of guessed the sizes of the pieces) and made a pretty nice lap size quilt that was 48"x70". Then Ginger asked if it was for his bed, which it wasn't, it was for his lap, and so I added strip of kona snow to the bottom to make it twin sized. I like snow because it's white but not an extra clean white, and with the fat cat that wipes his eye snot over everything and the Ginger boy that is, well, a boy, so he's hardly clean most of the time it doesn't seem to show up dirt as much.

12 FQs and 2 yards of kona cotton....you have a quilt that's perfect for a bed in just one day. Do you know, I might make a few more of this kind of quilt to use up bits of bobs in my stash and have on hand for Christmas gifts and things. I do still want this pillowcase kit though too. I'm still hinting, family members.

trial run...

(excuse that terrible picture - do you know how difficult it is taking photos of a quilt top on a bunk bed?)

Someone else seems to like it too....

gratuitous cute dog pic

Now I have to piece a backing and get it sent to long armed Chris. I'm thinking a contrasting red thread would look cool, maybe a snowflake design quilted all over, so the red snowflakes pop out on that bottom white strip. Although, once Ginger puts all his pillows and stuffed animals and other general gubbins on the bottom half of his bed you won't see that part of the quilt at all. 

9 comments:

tweal said...

Lovely quilt - that fabric is awesome! Cute doggy too :)

Flying Blind... said...

"He puzzled and puzzed till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. Maybe Christmas, he thought... doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps... means a little bit more!" Yay - you just made Christmas!

sew katie did said...

Love the idea of snowflake quilting. My sister-in-law in N. Ireland said the same about the weather. Sending sun your way.

elsy said...

well done and so quick.....

Karen said...

One cute little "Grinch" dog, but he needs antlers. LOL The quilt looks great and using that pattern lets you still see all of the great prints. What fun!

Poppyprint said...

Ohhh, the Snoop! Sleeping at last. Did you drug him?

**nicke... said...

that is one adorable little sleeping baby poochie~

Bettie Barnes said...

Cute! I'm glad to see that Snoop is also appreciative of your hard work and creativity...

Anita said...

Very cute and great to finish up in a day. I would turn the quilt upside down and applique something on the white part, maybe some cute snowflakes or snowmen, fused and machine quilted would be way cute, or even his name...just a thought.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!