Wednesday, 3 August 2011

planning ahead...

planning ahead...

It'll be Halloween in a little over 12 weeks. I could sneeze and miss it if I'm not careful (yes, I realise that's unlikely). And then Christmas is just 144 days away. 144!!! That's NOTHING. If I don't start to prepare myself I'll surely miss that as well?

Ok, ok, neither is likely to happen, but I'd quite like to make both a Halloween and Christmas quilt this year. I feel guilty because for the 2nd time I'll be missing Halloween this year, as I'll be in Houston for Quilt Market. We always had a party, and it was always great fun, so I'm pretty guilted out that I'm not about and the party won't be happening for the 2nd year running. To try and make up for the fact I'm making Ginger a quilt. I had thought of free pieced letters like this kind of thing, but then I spotted Elizabeth's quilt and I'm scrapping the free pieced idea and going down this route instead. She's doing a quilt along too. I'm not sure what my quilt will actually say yet, the possibilities are endless. Fancy making a Halloween billboard quilt with me?

The Grinch fabrics I'm still thinking on. They'd be pretty cool fussy cut, so my first thought was a snowball (it's a good winter themed block as well). I'll add in some extra solids whatever I do.

I got all of these fabrics from Lola Pink fabrics, a great online (and bricks and mortar) shop with a really fun selection of fabrics. I'm so tempted by the pillowcase kits, they'd make really great gifts for the sewist that has everything (and if anyone is reading this from my family/friends take a hint - I REALLY LIKE THE PILLOWCASE KITS).

no tricks - just treats

You can find your own eerie alley bundle here. And the Grinch bundles are here and here. Janet and Jennifer sorted me out the co-ordinating solids from their selection in store.

6 comments:

elsy said...

why did you have to go and mention the c word.....now with that and the dentist later i really am cheesed off.....still i've also got my eye on some grinch fabric so maybe its not too soon....

BumbleBri said...

I love the way you think. And you CAN miss it if you blink or sneeze! It happens to me all the time. Of course the problem is I make my plans 6 weeks prior and then procrastinate until 1 week prior. LOL! Hopefully you have it together better than I do. I love these fabrics!!!

Nicky said...

Oh no not another QAL I want to join! Would love to but have my finger in too many pies - love the ghastlies fabric and if I were to do a halloween something I'd have liked to use those!

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

I am smugness itself as I am 5 blocks into my Xmas quilt BOM from FQS! Well pleased with myself! It's too cute, if you'd like a look it's blogged here:

www.thequiltedtortoise.com/?p=211

How smug do you think I'll be when I'm still hand stitching my binding on Xmas morning?

Sarah Craig said...

Not to brag, but I finished my Christmas quilt about a month ago..... of course, it's the one I started in January of 2010!! But it's done!!

RuthDesigns said...

Last year for halloween I made little cellophane baggies of skittles and other little sweeties tied with ribbon... I made 35 thinking that was way way too many. Little did I know that all the childers in Bedford would hear about these tiny delights and bring their buddies.. by the end of the night I'd dished up 53 gifties, making the extras on the fly from raisins and anything else in the cupboard that seemed like a treat!

The kids didn't seem to mind that the 'contents may vary' and I didn't offer 10p or a flea in the ear like alot of my neighbours. They did appreciate that someone older wanted to play along :) The long black cloak, hat and candle lit hallway may have added to the appeal. I let the kids choose from a very ‘snow white’ basket ... there just could have been a poisoned apple in the bottom.

Anyway, I ramble on, your post just reminded me of a fun time and it’s good to share warm memories.

I’m sure Ginge will love his Halloween quilt and if you can’t be there it’s almost as good to have a handmade quilt as a mummy cuddle.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive