Wednesday, 24 August 2011

zombie constellation - top done!

zombie constellation

I love a quick quilt. I especially love a quick big quilt. I'm not really one for baby quilts or small lap quilts. In our house a lap quilt is at least 70 inches - the bigger the better. A quilt has to be able to cover me from neck to toe, with only my head can be poking out in order for me to stay warm and be comfy. In the winter I have multiple quilts on me, but in the summer just one. I get cold easily, there's not a lot of meat on my bones.

This quilt is approx 70 x 76". It's a little smaller than the original constellation because I've only added borders at 2 sides. That's because I made a booboo with one of my big star blocks and used a different sewing machine to piece it...there's a lesson for you (which I'm sure you know, as I do really but I kind of forgot, or decided it wouldn't matter). If you piece blocks, use the same machine for all of them. 1/4 inch feet vary ever so slightly from machine to machine. One block ended up a bit bigger than the others, so part of the points will get lost in the binding. C'est la vie. Who's going to care? No-one really. Not in the grand scheme of things, there are bigger and more important things to worry about in life than some star points sneaking off into the binding.

I've never taken one of those stained glass style photos before, of the quilt top from behind. Usually because my seams are such a state I wouldn't want to show anyone. Still, it looks so pretty I couldn't resist this time.

stained glass

So, if you have an urge to make a pretty big but fast and nice and simple quilt, you could make one like this. I'd be so stoked if you did.

The pattern is available from here.

Fabrics are Happy Mochi Yum Yum by Monica and Organic Shipyard from Timeless Treasures. Both are available here and here.

22 comments:

cauchy09 said...

i love your design and it looks so lovely in these happy fabrics. those mochi colors are hopped up on sugar!

Cass said...

Looks great and I love the fabrics you have used

Mary said...

Love it! Bright and cheerful :)

ScissorsandThread said...

ooh lovely, thanks for the link am off to order some aqua fabric for something or other. Is the pattern the same as the quilt that was hanging in the FQ booth at FofQ?

Shevvy said...

Lovely - really vibrant. I too realise I need to add some aqua to my stash!

two hippos said...

fabulous quilt top, the blue looks great!

Flying Blind... said...

This is bloody stunning Katy!
I am primed and ready to cut!

Fiona said...

I'm definitely going to make one! I've been oohing and aahing over you beautiful blocks as you've posted them. Your quilt top is absolutely beautiful!

Dan R said...

Great use of the happy mochi. I'm with you on lap quilts - why bother if it won't cover your feet? And my feet are a long way from my chin.

Sarah said...

Its gorgeous Katy :-)

Anonymous said...

who knew zombies could be so pretty??

X, H

Jane said...

I love the colors. That blue is wonderful!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

This is lovely....you got it put together quickly!

Amy said...

I've been admiring this pattern since I saw the original dark gray one, but this pushes me over the edge! I just went and bought the issue of Fatquarterly. :)

Mrs Yoastie said...

I really like the brightness of the stars on the calm blue background.

Sarah@PingsAndNeedles said...

Gorgeous ... I'm speechless :)

veryberryhandmade said...

That's a lovely design... and it looks great in these gorgeous colours - makes me think of flowers and blue skies on sunny days.

Cathy said...

I do love this design, you colour choice is delicious. Love the stained glass window shot!! xo

emedoodle said...

So lovely!!

Archie the wonder dog said...

That was speedy - looks like giant zombies multiply quickly! It's wonderful - I love your use of colour!

Mama Spark said...

I love how this came out!! Aqua is my fav!

amy said...

Unbelievably awesome!!!! I was just debating buying that issue the other day and didn't do it but nove I HAVE to have it!! :)

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive