Sunday, 11 September 2011

10 years


10 years ago. A whole decade has passed but the shock of the images and the effect it has on me is still as strong.
Nothing before or since has the same effect as that day. I still feel my eyes prickle and my throat tighten whenever I see a single image of the day the towers fell.



I was coming home from town, in a taxi with Grace when my husband called and told me to listen the news, that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Centre.
I got home and turned the TV on just as the first tower fell and sat watching the news in shocked silence for the rest of the day. We had been there less than 4 months previously. Grace had run around by the fountain (in the fountain too) at the World Trade Centre for a while and we rested our legs as we did the whole tourist thing in NYC.

Let's hope there is never another day like that day. And that we never forget those that lost their lives.

4 comments:

Sarah@Pings&Needles said...

Lovely post Katy.

It used to be "where were you when you heard the news of Kennedy's assassination?" 9/11 is our generation's world stopping event.

I don't think I will ever forget the surreal experience of being in another person's house (I was cat sitting) and just turning the TV on randomly, only to see the second plane hit the WTC, live. It just didn't seem real.

My heart goes out to all those for whom it was very very real.

summerfete said...

I was in Boston just about to get breakfast..
Can't belive it's been 10 years xx

Theresa said...

I too think about that moment as I was breast feeding a 3 month old in those quiet early mornings (in Australia) with the TV on silent for comfort...that vision will never leave my mind as I finished the feed and woke my sleeping husband (yes, I waited to make sure it was really happening) to tell him something really awful had happened. Then weeks later as we celebrated his birthday and I was placing a party platter of something on the table, the news broke that the world was at war with 'terror'. Yes indeed, our children arrived to a different time to ours....

Selina Marie said...

I too (like Theresa) was nursing a new baby. She was 2 months old, and all I can remember is the shock that I felt and how scared I was about raising a child in a world where this could happen. But out of the despair comes hope and rebuilding. It can't bring back the lives that were lost, but we must make something good of it so they didn't die in vain. The best way we can honor them is to live each day to the fullest. To be kind and helpful to those in need, and be grateful for everyday we have.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive