Sunday, 18 September 2011

the best job ever

Yesterday I took a (quite long) drive down to Lowestoft to Claire's shop, Patch Fabrics, to teach 6 lovely ladies how to make a tumbler cushion.

My thinking was that in a full day's workshop everyone would hopefully end up with a finished quilted cushion and learn the absolute basics on how to make a quilt, from choosing fabrics, through cutting, piecing, basting, quilting and binding. Plus, I love cushions and I find them much more useful than a mini quilt or table runner.

P9175468

Everyone was absolutely brilliant and went full throttle into their projects.

P9175469

We started a teensy bit late, so ended up over running a little but everyone was desperate to finish up (except poor Elizabeth whose husband and daughter came to pick her up so she'll finish this beauty off at home with some guidance via email from me).

P9175478

I hope everyone had as much fun as I did, because it was a really lovely way to spend the day.

patch fabrics workshop

Claire has even invited me back after Christmas to teach a class on jelly roll quilts. If anyone is interested in coming along, I'll post details closer to the time.

P9175479

All that the ladies need to do now is spend an evening sat in front of the TV hand stitching the binding onto the back of their cushions and they're all done! And hopefully hooked on quilting, because, let's face it, it's addictive.

P9175480

22 comments:

MrsShilts said...

Looks like you had a fab day, love the cushions too! Wish I lived closer to Patch :(

Manda said...

Those are great cushions!

Patchwork and Play said...

LOVE the cushion in your last photo! Beautiful!

Nicola said...

Looks like you had a fab time - I really love teaching classes too - seeing the pleasure on someone's face when they've created something that you've given them the know-how to do is just fantastic :)

Penny said...

I don't live too far from Lowestoft so may be next time. I love the cushions your ladies produced especially the last one -stunning colours.

Cathy said...

Fabulous! Oh yes, very addictive! xo

Archie the wonder dog said...

So glad it went well! The cushions are amazing and they look as though they had fun - can't believe how fast they worked!

Flying Blind... said...

Glad you had a fun day - the ladies did good x

Mrs Yoastie said...

Look like great cushions to me.

Nicky said...

So now you are happy with the teaching thing it will be the world teaching tour next!

lrstitched.com said...

Looks like a fun day was had. I've never made anything with the tumbler pattern before, I quite like it! The last one if my favorite, gorgeous colors.

Claire said...

was a fab day - looking forward to the Jelly Roll workshop already!
Loving the love for the last cushion ;)
Either nobody noticed the 'design' element or you have really polite readers!!!!

Paige said...

The cushions look great! I lust after an Accuquilt GO! Baby so I can work with tumblers all the time without the cutting.

Maureen T. said...

All your students did such a wonderful job on their cushions. Great teacher!!

Catherine said...

wow, all those cushions look amazing: well done to those ladies, looks like a great day

Andi said...

What a great way to teach quilting in a day!!!
Mind if I "borrow" your idea?
xx

Angela {fussycut} said...

How fun! I bet you did a great job, they are lucky to have you dear! x

Eli said...

I really enjoyed the day and was sad to leave before I could finish my cushion (it was a long drive home with a carsick three-year old).
I'm definitely hooked. Can't wait to finish this cushion and start a new project.
A big 'thank you' to you, Katy, and Claire!

Dotty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dotty said...

What a lovely way to spend a day.
I love the cusions that were made, such lovely fabric choices x
<3 Dotty

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Looks like a great class...noticed one of your students had a Bernina minimatic...great old machine that steams through anything.

Thanks for sharing :o)

Michelle said...

new to your blog.. loving it so far... question: hand-stitched binding on a pillow? forgive this non-pillow makin' chick... but is it just like binding on a quilt? with a raw edge on the outside of the pillow after stuffed? i'm trying to picture it!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive