Tuesday, 13 September 2011

busy start

apples

It's only Tuesday but I need to get right on the horse and ride it hard this week.

The summer slowed me down and my to-do list is looking pretty horrendous. So, all the jobs that I had on hand at home are getting nailed so I can spend the whole of next week locked in my studio and getting on with things that have waited since before the Summer break. Oops.

The little firecracker quilt I started making with Aneela's little apples fabric way back in May is now quilted and I have to sew the binding on to the back over the next night or so. There are a few babies due amongst our friends at the minute, so I think that will go to one of them. It's such a sweet line. (By the way - little apples is shipping now, you can find it here).

I also finished up the skirt using Melody's giant bee fabric. I ended up making mine a few inches shorter than the pattern. Yep. I'm slutty like that. This was my first ever time following a pattern and making something to wear. I once made some boxer shorts, but they weren't hugely successful and I completely made it up by cutting round an old pair.

I learned a few things...

  • read the pattern really well
  • measure yourself a few times
  • try the thing on to see how it fits at every possible stage (don't wait like me til the end and realise it was a couple of inches too big. That's a bit silly)
  • read the pattern again (because you'll have forgotten what you're supposed to do)
  • ignore your oldest child telling you it's the ugliest thing she's ever seen and wear it anyway
  • when someone asks if you made your skirt, be proud and say 'hell yes, I did. Now, am I cool, or WHAT?' and strut off (no-one has asked me yet, because I only finished it an hour ago)


bee collage

I have to say, I'm pretty damn proud of that little skirt.

I also made something secret that I can't show you but you can so tell what it is by this sneaklet peeklet....

Sneak peek

And, I packed up this little quilt to be raffled off at a fundraiser my twitter friend Kristy has organised on behalf of her daughter Kitty.

You can find out more about the fundraiser and why she wants to help out here. In fact, I urge you to go and read up on why she wants to raise money for the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital.

helping

All in all the week is starting with a gallop. I'm feeling tired out already.

18 comments:

two hippos said...

fabulous skirt, you must be so pleased with your first piece!!!!

Mary said...

I love the skirt as well as the sneaky peek...my favorite pattern!

Sarah said...

Hell Yeah you're cool! Great skirt :-)

trash said...

So ... did you make that skirt?

Flying Blind... said...

You are going great guns!!! I reckon M&S should change their sizing convention, I reckon I am definitely a '2 Bee Butt'!

Poppyprint said...

Go Katy! Congratulations on your fab bee skirt(ah, heels required for maximum sluttiness)!! Your secrety thing has POMPOMS!!!!

Archie the wonder dog said...

Fabulous bee skirt - it looks great!

Sara said...

Need me some Little Apples..gosh that skirt is too cute for words!!

memmens said...

If that's your first piece of clothing you've made I suggest you go on and make some more because it looks great from where I'm sitting! Well done.

Lorraine said...

Good Skirt!
quilty things are lovely too , esp the little Liberty one

Rie said...

The skirt looks great - the fabric was meant for that skirt!!

rachelmp said...

Well done Katy! Woo hoo

Sarah Craig said...

Yes - always ignore your eldest daughter! So....

Did you make your skirt?

Maureen T. said...

Awesome skirt!! ....must have one....

audreypawdrey said...

You have been so busy! I love that skirt, and completely ignore your daughter's comment-maybe she wants one of her own?:)

Sarah@Pings&Needles said...

wonderful bee skirt .. it really suits you ...

fab galloping start! We're in retrograde ... I now have absolutely no time to sew after manic all nighters!

That Liberty quilt is fabtastic too ...

I don't feel so bad not sewing when I see such lovely inspiring stuff :)

Violet Craft said...

Three things...

1. Cute skirt!
2. Ummm, how awesome is that dresser?
and 3. WHAT IS THAT YUMMINESS I SEE THERE?????

Spill it sista'!

Merran said...

Katy, how did you quilt your firecracker? Im looking for inspiration for mine. I am going to put the borders on mine as well,. I think you decided not to? THanks

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive