Thursday, 1 September 2011

a first

first time for everything

I've been envious of people that make their own clothes for the longest time. By rights I should be able to. My mother used to make my own clothes as a child, so I remember the whole paper pattern, chalking out the lines, her huge dressmaking shears with shiny blades and black handles, pinning and being measured a million times process but before I'd gotten old enough to really care about making clothes my Mum had gone back to work and I never asked her how to do it. She hasn't sewn anything in a long time. I don't think she'd remember how to really.

So when Melody brought out Ruby Star Spring and mentioned the possibility of a Bee Skirt, I was sold. I bought a metre of fabric from the Eternal Maker when I was at the festival of quilts and resisted the temptation to turn it into a pillow.

At 14.18 today Melody tweeted this link. In the hour and a half (almost) since then I've printed the pattern, taped it together, measured myself (and realised my waist has grown a little this summer. Hmm.) and cut out my pieces. Yikes. Now I'm a little bit scared to actually sew anything and I need to buy a zipper because the only ones I have are the clunky kind, not the invisible kind. But I've started, so I'm pretty pleased. I think it'll probably annoy me that my skirt won't be all evenly matched with the fabric repeat, but I figure I can most likely live with that when I'm swishing about in a skirt with 2 giant bees on (front and back. Oh yes.)

the first cut


Thank you for all of your wonderful offers to help with Sarah's and my project for Amy. I'm wading through emails, I'll get back to you shortly if you had a question, I promise. The link for Dan's fundraising site is here if you could help at all. Thank you so much for everything - this community we are part of is amazing and giving, and both Sarah and I are overwhelmed with your kindness. If you'd still like to join in, details are here. Thank you xxx

8 comments:

Poppyprint said...

I cannot wait to see you in your bee skirt!!!

Archie the wonder dog said...

Looking forward to seeing the skirt!

Sarah@PingsAndNeedles said...

Ooh this is going to be F. A. Beeee! Can't wait to see ... lovely pattern and the videos are great!

two hippos said...

a bee skirt, fabulous! Best of luck with your first skirt, can't wait to see it.

Betty Crocker Ass said...

Just read the directions. I mean READ them. Don't skim...you'll do great!

Flying Blind... said...

Oh I just downloaded the pattern before getting here, but I only have one Bee left, and a huge butt!

Heather said...

ballsy broad! i'm way to scred for that leap yet! xo, H

Paloma said...

That little skirt is so cute!! I saw the tutorial and I want one of those too. I love your fabric choice, and I'll be visiting your blog to see how it turned out.
Btw, I mailed my block to Sarah today. The funny thing is that it will go to Australia to come back to Michigan :)
Happy to help ;)

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!