Friday, 23 September 2011

it took too long...

...for me to finally get around to quilting and finishing the Little Apples quilt top I started back in May. It's only small, and basting and quilting it took literally 2 hours tops.
Julie's pattern called for borders, and this was my stumbling point. I had intended to use the polka dots on the back as a border, but the more I looked at it the more I liked how the stars disappear off into the edges. I struggle with borders. Given the choice, for the most part, I won't use them. Some quilts need a border. Others don't. Most of the quilts I've made haven't had borders. I guess that tells you I'm not a huge fan (what about you? Borders? No borders?)

little apples firecracker

I said it when I first started this quilt, but just to say it again - this quilt pattern is awesome. So easy to read, so clear, so very worth buying. There's a list of all Julie's patterns and where to find them right here.

little apples firecracker

I had just about finished the binding last night when my husband said he'd like to take the quilt to his friend today for their new baby. Which meant I had to quickly stitch up a label for it. My embroidery skills leave a lot to be desired. Heck, it's the thought that counts, right?

label

Quilt deets -

Firecracker quilt pattern by Julie Herman/Jaybird quilts
approx 35 x 50" (I forgot to measure it, so I'm guessing by how it laid on my kitchen table)

Fabrics - Little Apples F8 stack (with leftovers) by Aneela Hoey for Moda (available here)
              Essex linen by Robert Kaufman in white
              Backing - I THINK it's a Michael Miller dot, but I've had it for the longest time so I'm not
              certain. It's very much like this one but these Grinch dots would look cool too, I think.

17 comments:

**nicke... said...

very sweet!

MandyK said...

so awesome, you are :)

Cathy said...

Great quilt Katy. Love that dot! xo

Alexis said...

nice, and the spot is perfect for the back.

two hippos said...

What a great pattern, love the backing fabric! I sometimes use boarders, depends on each quilt.

Archie the wonder dog said...

I love this quilt and the label is a lovely touch! Borders or no borders? Depends on the quilt and also whether I need to make it bigger!! Not the greatest answer in the world but...

memmens said...

I love it - after yesterdays post I'm guessing you're gifting because you know they'll love it! I dare them not to!

Aimee said...

Really cute & a very generous and lovely gift! I agree on the border issue. I don't usually use them, but whenever I do, I end up loving it. So why don't I use them more? : )

Sarah said...

Gorgeous pattern, and I agree with you about it not needing a border! Looks fab without :-)

Flaun said...

Definitely a no border kind of gal. Unless it looks really bad without, I tend to not use them at all. I also think they're just lazy...

Heather said...

i love a border... just not three or four around each quilt! :P

x, H

Anna said...

this is amazing. so beautiful. :)

Merran said...

I agree it s a great pattern. I am making it for my 19year old son who is going away to University, so its equally suitable for new born or not so new! I made it in not too flowery civil war repro prints and its very handsome even if I do say so myself.. I do tend to use borders mostly cos I love doing pieced borders in leftovers but for this one will probably just do a plain border to make it bigger!

Maureen T. said...

Awesome quilt! Fantastic fabrics and great quilting. The label is very sweet.

Jacqueline said...

LOVE this! I'm a no border girl and I think I'm gonna have to make this a tad bit larger as a throw for myself. I really like how the stars drift off the edges...

Dan R said...

Super cute. I love an embroidered label, and yours looks great. As for borders, I'm completely against them, except for the quilt I'm making right now, which has two.

rachael said...

i saw your quilt on pinterest and i'm so glad i was able to track it back to you :) great work!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!