Sunday, 25 September 2011

planning and plotting (or what Katy did next)

planning and plotting

Now the Hexy MF is getting quilted I've been missing hand sewing. I've been busy with some dresden plates for pillows and stuff but it's not the same as good old fashioned English Paper Piecing.

So, I've been plotting what to do next and I quite fancy some full on fussy cutting mixed with a variety of paper templates. I've had a pattern drafted for a while but not settled on perfect fabrics...until now.

Silent Cinema by Jenean Morrison is PERFECT for fussy cutting - all those medallions and clever little details. I can't promise this will be a quick project (after all, the Hexy MF took well over a year) but with the nights drawing in and more time being spent sat on the sofa watching TV (as well as the flights to and from Houston next month) I should be able to make a really good start on this project. If I could just decide which colourway to start with.

By the way - in case anyone is interested, once I get the Hexy MF back I thought I'd write up a pattern for it, and pop it amongst my other tutorials, so you can make your own. I need it with me though, because I have no idea how big anything is, or how many hexes I made...so it'll be a little while before that happens, but it will come. Promise.

In the meantime - I'm off to cut out some template plastic and start fussy cutting some big ol' hexes.

10 comments:

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

I made a baby quilt for a gift from Silent Cinema, the fabrics are just so gorgeous! I conveniently bought more fabric than required for the pattern too so now…voila...its in my stash! Enjoy!

patchworkandlace said...

Your quilts are gorgeous ,your very talented , i love quilts and have made a few but very basic ones my standard is certainly no where near yours x

cauchy09 said...

oof. i am incredibly envious of your fabrics there. i shall go hold my breath until i find some to buy.

Sarah said...

Ooooh Katy... Silent Cinema has been my favourite print for ages... Just how much did you get?! I'm a little envious... I cant wait to see what you do with it, its going to be breathtaking I'm sure!

ros said...

So, until this post I'd never heard of Jenean Morrison. But now there are 4.5 yards of fabric from her Moondance line on their way to me from the US. I'd been looking, and failing to find, just the right thing for a new quilt I have in mind and this will be it. Thank you!

Flying Blind... said...

That's going to be a stunner for sure!

MandyK said...

planning and plotting is the best:)

Jackie said...

The colours on your quilts are fab! I know what you mean about the hexagons taking so long (and taking over!) I've still to finish a 'baby' quilt for my niece born at the end of July but it's sort of grown as I had too many nice fabrics I wanted to use. Now I want to get another one made in a few weeks to raise money for Breast Cancer awareness - donations made to guess how many hexagons have been used and the winner wins the quilt! Luckily I have helpers at the ready to sew pieces together at work!!

Aletta said...

Those prints are very lovely! Your quilt will look awesome, that is for sure!
I don't think I have ever seen Jenean Morrison fabrics in stores here. Thanks for sharing! I'll start looking for some right now!

Jenean said...

Thanks for the mention! I look forward to seeing how you play with the fabrics. And congrats on the Fat Quarterly book--that is SO exciting! Can't wait!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!