Wednesday, 28 September 2011

revisiting an old friend

Back in August 2010 I introduced you to Backstitch, an online fabric store based in the UK that was just in it's earliest of early days.

Alice was a busy lady - she had a brand new baby and a brand new business.

Shall we go back and see what she's up to these days?

Yes, let's....

So, a year on and what has changed in the Backstitch store?

There are still sewing patterns for all abilities, but the range has grown (rather like Alice's baby - who is now a toddler!) In stock (amongst others) are patterns for childrenswear by my mate Shelly (otherwise known as Patterns by Figgys), absolutely amazing (and I'm told really quite beginner friendly) patterns by (new to me) Jamie Christina (I can't begin to tell you how much I want this dress in this fabric), the blogging sewist's favourite Oliver and S (I've never heard a bad word about these patterns - people really do rave about them and how awesome they are).



The bundles have grown too. The cocktails are still present. Which makes me super happy (a bundle of fabric named after a cocktail - what could be better?) and the range of fabrics has grown too. Alice's style seems to be bright and cheerful. Actually, it seems like she went shopping and picked fabrics especially for me. Which is incredibly nice of her. Just look at the fantastic range of yummy fabrics

Last year she had a small selection of Klona cottons, a slightly heavier weight cotton in a variety of plain colours. This year she has the full range in stock. That's over 40 different colours. She's even made swatch cards with a snippet of each colour for easy matching. Klona white is my go-to pure white solid. I prefer it to other solid whites if I need a full on bright white. It's great. I actually really love klona cottons in general. They're priced well, they are really nice to work with and you can finger press them and the pressed fold stays put. Perfect for a slightly lazy patchwork presser like me.






Just check out this quilt by Judith, made with a klona hurricane bundle. Amazing, right?

Single girl quilt_0032

I used klona white for the background on this quilt. It worked beautifully with the light and silky liberty tana lawns. 

rollercoaster


So there you go. A little over a year on and Alice is doing great. Go and check her out, she's really helpful and ever such a nice person. You can also keep up to date on what's going on in the Backstitch world by following the blog.



10 comments:

Judith said...

Oh I do love seeing my quilt......... :-))
Those Klona colours are so vibrant.

Tricia Anne said...

I love the last quilt, especially!
I am having a little give a way and
would love to have you drop by. :o)
Sincerely, Trish

Freddie said...

Love the fabrics. Pretty bright colours.

Justine said...

Ooo that single girl quilt is just lovely!!

Poppyprint said...

must investigate mysterious Klona (you couldn't have spelled Kona incorrectly that many times, right?)

Sarah@PingsAndNeedles said...

I love Klona solids ... I totally agree about the whole finger pressing staying thing and I LOVE their white, cream and natural (as well as all the others!)

I think they're much easier to use for accurate HST piecing, meself.

Alice is always really helpful and I try to buy something every month ... (not hard!)

One day I might graduate to patterns ... Lovely post ...

Rachaeldaisy said...

I've never heard of Klona cottons, they sound great! Are they made by the same company who make Kona cottons? I like the idea of a heavier white so there's less chance of shadows when using them with darks.

Fiona said...

I love Backstitch! Your original post made me pay a visit and I've been back regularly ever since. I really really like the Klona cottons, especially the neutrals. The cream is a really nice colour for a softer alternative to white, and the lovely Alice is so friendly and her service is great! Thankyou for the recommendation x

Sarah said...

Your Liberties are so lovely! Liberties are my all time favourites. :-)

Dotty said...

Oh no! I'm not sure mt hubby will be pleased that i have found a new place to buy fabrics from. Off to check out all the fabric lushness!

<3 dotty

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!