Sunday, 4 September 2011

sewing for boys

review...

Sewing for Boys is a new book published by Wiley and written by Shelly Figueroa and Karen LePage. I love these 2 girls - they met on flickr and live across the country from each other, but maintain a business. How cool is that? I met them both in Salt Lake City this Spring Market and they're the funniest pair ever, such cool ladies. You'd think to meet them that they lived in each other's houses all the time, they're so tight, so alike and funny together. It's no wonder they've written a book that flows as well as this one.

The book is jam packed (24 projects) of patterns especially for boys. Let's face it, there are books galore for little girls' clothes but the little boys' patterns are not so easy to find. Or they're a bit twee, or a bit too simplistic (reversible pants, appliqued tees - you know the kind of thing). Sewing for Boys is completely different - it's beautifully laid out with really clear illustrations, separate paper patterns and instructions that are easy to read and comprehend. Little things like where the right or wrong side of fabrics are discussed it's in bold capitals. Little things like that are invaluable to someone like me, because I am a skimmer and I don't read instructions very well.

review...

The book is laid out in sections, with clothes for different seasons and has a great range of types of pattern, from simple pants for beginners, to a more complicated looking winter coat for the more advanced sewist. (My favourite is the hooded jacket - that is far too cool for school).

Plus a fantastic pattern for real PJs, ones with buttons and all the gorgeous details you would expect in a pair of classic 'grown up' PJs. They'd be amazing in some wintery flannel for christmas (do you put your children in brand new PJs for christmas eve? Is that just me?), and a flannel robe that is classed as a beginner level, so it must be simple. Yep, my understanding of clothes patterns is pretty much limited to zero - but the instructions look like it's not rocket science, and when I showed Brioni she said it looked simple too, in fact Brioni got really quite excited about the whole book and is planning on using it to make a heap of stuff for her little one.

The patterns go up to age 7, from baby size, so you could quite easily start as a true beginner with a newborn and become a total expert after a few patterns and still find use for the book for a good few years to come. One of my friends is pregnant right now and if she has a boy I'm buying her this book for her baby shower.

24 projects - that's a lot.

review...

It's out now and you buy it from here (with free worldwide shipping). Or your favourite local bookstore, of course.


6 comments:

Annabella said...

Oh this looks great and the free international shipping makes it look very attractive!

Jo @ a life in lists said...

The envy is not abating. But available now?!?! Stupid Amazon claims it's not available till the 27th. I am off to order right now this very minute. I can splash out the extra £2 to get it a month sooner. Thanks for the sneak preview!

Mary said...

Katy....Shelly used to live in my hometown and was very familiar with our little shoppe - Sew To Speak! Unfortunately, I did not meet her before she moved from the area, but I do follow and am so happy she has accomplished so much! Thanks for sharing!

Emma said...

I always got new PJs on Christmas Eve too! They said Santa brought them, but my Dad always had to run back into the house for something before going to church...

If/when I have kids and if/when they're boys, I'm totally buying this book. Like for real.

Emma Thomsen said...

Fantastic! There just aren't enough 'boys stuff' sewing books, thanks for sharing.

Erin M. said...

Looks like a very well done book. The pages you've shown us make me want to see more.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive