Friday, 16 September 2011

a tumbler in a pear tree

One of the massive benefits of the quilting community I am part of is that when my friends get a fabric designing gig they send me some stuff to play with.
I 'met' Thomas before he had even made a quilt. He hadn't designed fabric. He was the new kid on the block. Then he did some playing about with designs and they were really good. So good that Andover picked him up and said' we'll print your stuff!' (or whatever they say when they take you on as a designer) At Spring Market this year his designs were on paper and we oohed and aahed over them.

I think quite often when it comes to printing, fabrics lose the initial wow of the digital colours. Pear tree isn't as bright as I thought it would be, which I actually prefer. It has a washed or faded feel to the colours, they're less digital or computer generated. They have a lovely softness to the tones that reminds me of being a kid and the faded flannel sheets we used to have on our bed at my Grandparent's house.
The fabric feels really nice too. These have been washed (by Thomas before he mailed them to me), so they've lost the starchy crisp feeling that new fabrics have and they've now got an almost vintage feel to them. The cotton is weighty, not thin at all, but not too thick either. It sews really beautifully, and cuts really nicely too (I tried with both scissors and a rotary cutter).

a tumbler in a pear tree

I'm taking this little tumbler pillow in progress down to Patch Fabrics with me to show the folks that are coming to my workshop tomorrow. I'm also making a couple of dresden plate pillows to go with the tumbler and I'll switch out my regular pillows on the trunk that I sit on to hand sew and have a little Pear Tree themed decor in my house. I'm really quite excited by it!


Pear tree by Thomas Knauer for Andover is coming to stores in November. You can check it out here.

10 comments:

Cathy said...

These are gorgeous fabrics Katy, ta for showing us! Have a great workshop tomorrow, wish i could come! xo

Archie the wonder dog said...

Have a great time at your workshop - lucky participants are going to have a fabulous time! Gorgeous fabrics - thanks for sharing!

Mary said...

Very nice! I like how the wavy lines of the fabric are echoed in the angled line of the tumbler! Have fun :)

Mrs Yoastie said...

I like the retroness (is that even a word) of the fabric.

Dan R said...

Lovely. One of the great things about the collection is that each of the the 21 prints looks great next to all the others, regardless of colorway. This really shows in your tumblers.

Flying Blind... said...

Beautiful fabrics, and beautiful makes.

So jealous of your grandparent's sheets - mine used to have dark brown towelling ones for me and my sister - eugh!

Have fun tomorrow.

Sarah said...

I just wanted to say that I "discovered" your blog this morning and have DEVOURED it. I'm new to quilting (as in, had my first lesson on Thursday) but I'm eager to learn, and your blog has been both inspirational and informative. Cheers!

Maureen T. said...

I really love that fabric!! I echo the sentiments of Dan R. Your pillow does a lovely job of showcasing all the fabrics.

Sarah@Pings&Needles said...

ooh these are really lovely ... I like the faded tones too .. and you are the first person to make me think twice about tumblers ... beautiful!

My grandma used to sleep between woollen itchy scratchy blankets ... no sheets! something penance-y I guess ... it was horrid getting into bed with her for a cuddle!

Mrs Minton makes... said...

lovely designs...so wish I could quilt!!!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!