Thursday, 13 October 2011

some hand holding required

yikes

(please ignore the coffee stain on the quilt there. I am a terrible housewife, it would appear)

I am really not sure if this is pure madness and doomed for failure but after some pushing and cajoling from Dan (basically all he has to do is say jump and I say how high. My crush on him is somewhat epic) I have decided to embark on a new adventure. That adventure is a dress made by me using Liberty print tana lawn.

I was wondering if anyone would like to join me on the adventure? You don't need to make a dress, you don't need to be a beginner (in fact the more experience that comes along for the ride the better, I could use some help here).

Apparently the dress pattern I have picked is actually very beginner friendly. I'd like to say simple, but as this is my first 'real' dressmaking journey, I don't think it's likely to be simple...but I'm hoping for as few headaches along the way as possible.

Alice has the Miz Mozelle dress pattern in stock now. You will also need around 3 metres/yards of a lightweight fabric or a cotton knit/jersey (depending on your size) plus some other bits and bobs (interfacing and stuff). I've chosen a liberty print tana lawn that I got from Sew Box (they sell Liberty jersey/knit fabric too - and it's not crazy money either).

Florence has made both a toile and real dress using this pattern. Both versions make my heart skip a beat a little. As she is well practised in the art of Miz Mozelle (and dress making in general) I am hoping for some help along the way. Sneakily I've sent her a parcel today that she thinks is just a gift and my honest generous spirit....it is, in actual fact, a thinly veiled bribe that I will remind her of when I am pestering her later on.

So, who is in? You could make something really nice and simple like the bee skirt I made a little while ago. Or push yourself way out of the comfort zone and make something like a dress. Let's not set a firm time frame, just work through a pattern and have a little virtual sewing retreat together.

I'll give you a couple of weeks to think about it. I'm not planning on starting until I get back from Houston.

(Also - if you are already super clever, know the basics of dressmaking, live relatively near to me and wouldn't mind me coming and visiting for the day and helping me understand what this whole pattern lark is....shoot me an email katyejones at hotmail dot com)

EDITED TO ADD - US peeps, you can get the Miz Mozelle dress pattern from here. UK/Europe from here.
I don't have a serger, so any serging bits I'll use my zigzag stitch or buttonhole, which I am pretty sure will do the job just fine. Of course, if you use a knit then there's no real need to serge anyway because it doesn't fray like cotton...I'm just a bit scared of sewing knits because of the stretchiness.
I plan to make a start when I get home from Houston in the beginning of November.

25 comments:

Haunts Hold said...

Me! I'm in. I'e been looking at dress patterns all morning. I've even got fabric sitting around waiting to be used, it's fate.

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

Woo hoo!! You know I'm in! My patterns from Alice have arrived and my Liberty jersey is on its way!! Can't wait!!

Laura said...

Ooh, I've had this pattern for a while, but have put off making it, mostly because sewing with slippery, stretchy fabric has rather scared me. I think a muslin will definitely be needed for me! Most of it should be fine, but I haven't done sleeves before, so hopefully will pick up some hints :)

Archie the wonder dog said...

Good luck - you'll be fine!!

Fiona said...

I'm in! I've got 3 dress/tunic patterns, and the fabric to make them but for some reason I can't get started. I used to make clothes for myself as a student, adapting my Mum's old 1960s patterns. I've hardly made any clothes since having kids though.

aneela said...

I am sure you will walk it and be parading proudly in said dress at market (in 2 weeks!!!!!!)
And I will be checking your dress for coffee stains ;)

monda-loves said...

That is a very pretty dress indeedy missy.
I'm scared of pattern making but I'm determined to make myself something one of these days (that's a total non-committal response from me btw!)

Angela {fussycut} said...

Wow... That dress is so great! I especially love the one you linked to. I may have to try is, but I've never made clothes for myself!! I'd need lots of hand holding.
Also, two questions: is a serger necessary (I don't have one) and I'm wondering if the pattern is available in the states?

bearpaw said...

Because of your post about dress patterns a few weeks back I ordered the Amy Butler Lotus Tunic Pattern and 3M of Anna Maria Horner Loulouthi fabric from the US. I haven't done any proper dressmaking for about 15 years so I am really nervous! I would love to play along with you and ask advice. This is perfect timing for me as I hope to make a start in the next week!

Emma Thomsen said...

Count me in! Not sure I'll make your gorgeous dress, I'm a bit of 'big old bird' and would look more like a Drag Queen in a dress like that. Maybe I'll make my daughter a dress for her birthday at the end of November. I agree with you on jersey, although I did make a dress for a friend in silk chiffon - that was a toughy! I'm probably a bit far for you to pop round (j29 M25), maybe we could meet half way on the M1 for tea and a sweet pastry! LOL!

Freddie said...

I'll join you. If you don't mind I'll make another dress though. I have had a pattern for ages but haven't dared to do anything with it.
I have made dresses for the dear daughters but those are small and nearly always look cute (unless the daughter wearing it throws a strop).

Anna said...

awesome! you'll love sewing this up I'm sure! :) can't wait to see what you make. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you are learning to sew clothes! As an "older" quilter, I came to quilting from a clothes-sewing background. When I started quilting I didn't think anything could stay together with a mere quarter-inch seam allowance. Oh, the joy of making something for yourself that cannot be found on anyone else! I am sure you will be successful and there will be plenty of hands to hold along the way.
Lisa
Lalexander733 (at) gmail (dot) com

{Leila}Where the Orchids Grow said...

I want that dress!!

wonderwoman said...

Haiving seen your bee skirt inspired me to make an amy butler skirt! Am really pleased with it so have just got some more fabric to make another one!

Susie said...

Ooo, I'll be in. I've got a Collette dress pattern I've been meaning to sew for me (Macaron) - I'm failing at sewing clothes for myself at the moment, the last dress I attempted didn't fit over my bingo wings, the one before that made me look like Michelle Duggar. This might drag me out of my funk ;-).

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I've time to make the dress, but I will leave 2 pieces of totally gratuitious (sic?) advice. (1) Be very accurate with the cutting. (2) Tack anything fiddly first - especially the collar. And I don't think you need a serger/overlocker - finishing seams with zig zag stitch is perfectly fine.

Katharine

Poppyprint said...

Aha, I figured you were sewing it FOR Houston to wow your Market friends with your new-found garment sewing skillz. I am afeared of clothing after my linen sack episode this summer. I do have some AMH voile and the school house tunic pattern sitting for almost 2 years....waiting.....I may be in. I'm going to ask Heather how her tunic went together and if she'll ever wear it in public. I'll get back to you.

Eileen {bluebirdluxe} said...

..ohh..to sew clothes. I want to be in...gaww..I'm already breaking out in a sweat! It's such a cute dress. You might see me joining along. :)

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Hey maybe we should have a sew a garment day at mine - and take model shots at the end of the day. I'll do your modelling shots for you if you can't fit into what you make.

Esther said...

I happen to have plans to sew something for myself in the next few weeks so I'll join in happily. I may be finished before you start as I need something for a family wedding in November.

If you are ever anywhere near Coventry you are welcome to pop in and pick my brains on patterns.

Mandalin said...

I'll be watching, cheering and then applauding you. You'll rock it Katy! I'm too scared to even attempt an A-line skirt, which I really, really want to do...I should, cause it's getting warmer here and I have some yummy new red shoes!

Alice @ Backstitch said...

Hoorah! You'll be ace.

Anita said...

Yea! This is just the push I've needed to make a dress as well. I have a different pattern picked out, so am looking forward to playing along from across the ocean :)

Nanette Merrill said...

The quilt with the "stain" is lovely. The mark makes it sweeter. It is a quilt used and loved.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive