Monday, 7 November 2011

quilt market - the booths (part four)

So, we've done schoolhouse, moda, organics (including Kaufman) and free spirit. Where next?

Let's take a trip to Japan and check out what's going on over there.

The kokka/Seven Islands booth was packed with treats.

Echino....

Echino

Echino made into the cutest dresses (I would so wear those dresses, if they only fitted me)...

Echino

Prints Charming. I'm a bit annoyed that I didn't see this at sample spree because now I'm certain it was there and I missed it, and I really like it. It's for sale now, and you can get some from here (along with echino) which is what I'm going to have to do, I think.

prints charming for kokka

I have no idea what this is, but it's cute, right?

kokka

In my top 5 favourite things of Market - Melody Miller with Ruby Star Shining. This should be shipping pretty soon. Keep your eyes on the Fat Quarterly blog over the Holiday period, there'll be some fun ideas on how to use this fabric. I think people tend to love it, but are afraid how they can make the most of it and might be put off buying any, especially as any Japanese import is a little pricier than regular quilting fabrics. Never fear, we'll see you right - you'll be overstocked with ideas soon!
If you're also a little wary of how these heavier weight canvas type fabrics work in quilting, don't worry. I used echino for one of the quilts (this is the first sneak peek of that quilt I've ever shown) in our book and it worked so well. It's heavier but I had absolutely no problems at all. I probably wouldn't advise you use very small pieces, that's all.

melody miller for kokka

The Yuwa booth always looks like this. It's a hot mess, like they got off the plane and just threw the contents of their suitcases into the booth, but it's YUWA and so it's got all sorts of treasures hiding in it. Yoshiko Jinzenji, for example. If anyone ever sees that anywhere for sale, let me know, please. I have some of her first fabric collection from a few years ago and I'm too chicken to cut into it.

yuwa

Cinderberry Stitches/Natalie Lymer, for Lecien is a cute woodland inspired fabric depicting little elves and fairies. Sound too sweet? It's less sugary than the colours and description suggest - it's actually incredibly pretty and really beautifully designed. I would mix in a few polka dots to make a fun girly quilt (in fact the dots and stripes from the next booth would work a treat)

Natalie Lymer for Lecien

Sarah Fielke, also for Lecien, with St Ives. Bubble gum colours, bold, funky prints. Perfect co-ordinating stripes and dots that are stash essentials (and perfect for Natalie's fabrics above!) Sarah was also promoting her latest book, just released in the US, which is another must have.

Sarah Fielke

I'm making this quilt at the moment....

Sarah Fielke

So that's it for today, but I'll be back again tomorrow with the last of the booths!!!

I hope you're not too bored already, and I haven't overloaded you with information. We're getting closer to the prizes, giveaway soon!!!!

27 comments:

Laura @ Needles, Pins and Baking Tins said...

The list goes on! I think this might be my favourite of the booth posts so far. Must get me some Ruby Star Shining typewriters. LOVE them.

I Plead Quilty! said...

I want some of the old fashioned orange clocks on aqua!!!! Practically foaming at the mouth, here.

Alissa said...

Three of her prints at Sew Modern!

http://shop.sewmodernonline.com/index.php?search=Jinzenji

jednoiglec said...

I read all the parts so far and I'm not bored! Your reports are great, I love the both photos as well as your comments. I can't wait to the next part and I wish there could be more:)

Blueberry Park said...

bored? i don't think so! I'm really loving your reports, Katy...only thing missing for me is not actually being there!

Anonymous said...

Not bored! Thank you for showing more product than people. :-) Not that I don't like the people shots, but I LOVE the booth shoots. I'm pretty sure purl soho carries Yoshiko fabrics.

MN2NM said...

So not bored - best recaps I've seen. Really feels like we're there with you! Thanks again for sharing it!

Trudi said...

Bored? Don't be daft! Loving it Katy!

Archie the wonder dog said...

I'm far from bored, probably as far away as you can get - thanks for sharing!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Keep it coming! I'm really enjoy your tour of market!! Do you know when Ruby Star Shining will be available? Those clocks are a must have!

Manda said...

Definitely not getting bored! I love the possibly orange soda quilt btw... can't wait for the book!

Danielle said...

Fabulous! Loving your recaps!

Kate at M is for make said...

Still very much loving these posts!

I ordered some of the cute owl fabric in the Kokka photo. Also the Ruby Star Shining which hopefully will be here in a month or 2 ...

Cheryl Arkison said...

You can also get some Jinzenji fabrics here. http://www.marmaladefabrics.com/fabric-designer-yoshiko-jinzenji-c-1_170.html

Poppyprint said...

Bored? Are you kidding? Loving it! Yeah, I wondered about that Yuwa booth - geez!

Florence (Flossie Teacakes) said...

Katy, you little beauty! I love these posts...it's like being put in front of a sweetshop window on a daily basis. Actually, that implies there's some element of torture in not being able to have the things behind the window, but moments like you looking behind you when Denyse Schmidt was waving to you take the pain away because they're so funny.

Please string this out for the rest of November. We would like to see the entire camera card. x

Two Wednesdays said...

Bored?!?!?! Actually I'm really sad that tomorrow is the last post. Thank you so much for all the pictures and descriptions. Maybe I could get to go one day.....might have to sell the kids to do it though

Kate said...

Love all you market posts - I definitely need some Melody Miller typewriters for a skirt!

Katy Cameron said...

Okay, the drooling continues, especially over that Echino!

Marg M said...

loving it thanks, especially loved the Echino

cat and vee xoxo said...

thank you so much for all these Market posts Katy, I sooo appreciate them, being all the way over here in Australia and nowhere near Houston. Love your pics and your writing. So love that Echino, Prints Charming and Ruby Star Shining. Cat

P├ętra said...

I haven't had a chance to comment on your market posts yet but I wanted to say thank you for sharing it with us! Someday I hope to be at market someday!

Leigh Ann said...

How could this be boring? This is an amazing trip into a world that most quilters never get to see. Thanks for the detailed notes and photos. Ideas are just bubbling up all over, thanks to the inspiration you've provided.

Flying Blind... said...

Overload overload - my house won't fit all the new lines I need!

Rafael's Mum said...

Thanks so much Katy for all of your photos! It's so great to see everything through your eyes as we can't be there! Much appreciated (and I LOVE that Echino quilt!!)

veryberryhandmade said...

St Ives looks fab. And as for Ruby Star Shining - gorgeous.

**nicke... said...

sarah's dots are quite possibly the prettiest fabric i have seen recently!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive