Thursday, 1 December 2011

Christmas in the bag

Christmas Gift Bags

One of the fabrics I picked up at sample spree this quilt market was meet the gang by Marisa Anne of Creative Thursday for Andover fabrics. (Kathy at Pink Chalk has it for sale here and so does the intrepid thread). I'd seen it on paper at spring market in Salt Lake City and met Marisa there too. She's a wonderfully inspiring person - so incredibly talented as an illustrator (her etsy shop sells some wonderful prints, cards and also fabric). She has a kind of calmness about her that  just makes you warm to her right away, she was like an oasis of calm in the manic surroundings of quilt market. And now Marisa is a fabric designer as well.

I knew I wanted to make some gift bags for small gifts this Christmas, but to be quite frank, I'm not a huge fan of Christmas fabric. Meet the Gang is PERFECT - it's wintery, can be for a girl or a boy, and because it's not Christmas fabric you could use these bags all year round for all sorts.

I made the 3 in the photo above using a pattern in John's brand new book, Pretty in Patchwork : Holidays,  that is now available as an e-book from Zinio (will be available in print form next summer). I bought the book on Tuesday morning just before I took Ginge to school and had made those 3 bags by 11am! Click on over to check out more of the projects on John's blog. There are 32 projects in total that range from simple quick projects like these bags to some stunning quilts, and fun tree ornaments and gift ideas. It's a wonderful book, and I'm not just saying that because he's my friend. I mean it - I bought the book, it wasn't given to me, he hasn't asked me to review it, this is my honest opinion and I stand by it. I think if you love the holidays (all of them, not just Christmas) and patchwork, then it's a book you'll refer to year after year.

The 2 bags in the picture below I made using Jeni's tutorial on her blog.  Another lovely easy to read tutorial and so quick to make. I love drawstring bags - I don't really need a tutorial to make them, but sometimes it's better to take all of the thinking away and just follow someone else's instructions. Jeni's instructions are incredibly good - and her bags are a nice size too with squared off bottoms to make for easy standing up.

Drawstring bags

I can't wait to get our christmas decorations up now, pin name labels to the bags and stuff them full of treats for some special people. I've used up all my meet the gang fabric, so I'm going to have to rummage around for something else that will look as cute under the tree. It's going to be a tough act to beat, though, I think.

ENABLER ALERT -
The girls over at Lola Pink Fabrics have a fun holiday sale going on this week - spend $25 and get 10% off, or spend $50 and get 20% off.
PLUS shipping in the US is now no more than $5 ever AND automatically save 10% when you buy a 3 or more yard cut of any fabric (bundles are priced with the 10% discount already added).

11 comments:

Poppyprint said...

Nice bags, lady.

Craft Couture by T.C. said...

these bags are so adorable..will make perfect gift bags. I love the fabrics you used. Will have to check them out. :)

Rachaeldaisy said...

Im working on a little sewing project using some MeetThe Gang fabric. It soo cute and happy and such great colours!

Mary said...

Love the bags! I agree...christmas fabric is a tough sell. But Meet The Gang is just too cute!

Laura @ Needles, Pins and Baking Tins said...

Cute! And thanks for the enabling... its payday today ;-) Mwahahaha!

Archie the wonder dog said...

Love the bags and the fabric is wonderful!

Flying Blind... said...

You got great bags!

pat sloan said...

so cute!!!

Katy Cameron said...

Love those bags, and I've enjoyed seeing 'The Gang' popping up on a variety of projects around the blogosphere, it's such a fun line

John said...

Aww, thanks for the sweet post!

Estelle said...

I love Marisa and everything she creates. I've got a stash of her fabric and I'm itching to make something and how these goodie bags have me inspired. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive