Wednesday, 21 December 2011

last minute comfort sewing

flannel pillowcases!

I have no real need for new pillowcases. Although, if we're going to be talking about what I have no real need for I should include quilts and most definitely fabric in that list too, but I'll skip over those and pretend I didn't even mention it.
It's cold. I get incredibly grumpy around Christmas, not because I don't like it (because I LOVE it), but because of a few things. Firstly the pressure. I feel I have to out perform myself. I need to make delicious food and create feasts for everyone (that involves dealing with allergies, people that don't like certain foods, people that drink, people that don't, people that love spices, people that hate spices, people that are incredibly fussy and hard to please). I want everyone to have the perfect gift. With the perfect gift, I have now accepted that it probably involves shop bought and not made by me although I do try and sneak a couple of hand made things in. Just to keep me happy. I loathe shopping (other than internet shopping). Add in crowds and wannabe popstars hanging out on every corner crooning (murdering) Christmas songs with those mini amps and a hat open for change (or record deals) and the inevitable rain (this is England) and I'm cranky as hell.
What would make me happy? Something soft to sleep on. Thank you Ashley for your fool proof (I have proven it) tutorial. Thank you Karen for your $5 a yard flannel. Thank you Husbeast for being genuinely pleased about our new, completely non-matching, softer than soft, flannel pillowcases.
And breath.

21 comments:

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

oooh what a lovely stack of loveliness you have there.

Angel said...

I so get this/you.
Dealing with allergies, in person shopping, comfort sewing.
Great post.
Beautiful pillowcases.

{Leila}Where the Orchids Grow said...

I need those, I have been Christmas cranky too!
Shopping is horrendous, of course I have a cold and the house is a mess. I am not ready!!

Megan said...

I.would like to eat these but I'd probably just end up drooling on them. Lucky you for convincing the husbeast to put them on the bed! He could not resist the softness!

Sarah said...

Oh those pillows (ooh and they actually are PILLOWS! LOL) look soooo inviting!

Laura @ Needles, Pins and Baking Tins said...

Happiness in the making :-)

Kerry said...

Time to hunker down, pillows are perfect for that

Archie the wonder dog said...

Those pillows look wonderful - so inviting...I think I might need a few myself!!

Nancy said...

oh my...i think we were separated at birth...I could have written this post...except I wrapped all the flannel cases to give to grandchildren...lol
My "worry" this year is how to feed the meat eating hubby and the boy's vegetarian girlfriend the same meal!! lol

em's scrapbag said...

I hate shopping to. Your pillow cases are fun and look oh so soft.

Norma's Clay said...

You really made me laugh. After reading it everyone needs those pillowcases. Specially because they are so cute. Thank goodness for internet shopping! Happy holidays!

Hollie said...

Love those pillowcases! They're stunning and I'm now inspired.

Catherine said...

I'm with you on the stresses of Christmas!! Your pillowcases look sooooo inviting

Katy Cameron said...

Och need is a relative sort of a thing... Sorry the family doesn't appreciate handmade, my family demands it (which brings its own pitfalls!) If you start feeling stressed, just run and bury your head in these lovelies, and tell everyone we told you it was okay ;o)

PS, be glad you don't have bagpipes with those amps...

Flying Blind... said...

oh you have made me need some now too!

Connie said...

I'm right there with you re: season's pressures.

mascanlon said...

I can so get into your grumpiness...every year I try to do less and balance more, not quite there yet! But I do love to make pillowcases, my husband has several in his collection!Happy Holidays, Ii so enoyyour blog!

meli B said...

Good post. I get where you are coming from completely!

Trudi said...

sigh .... beautiful pillows, in all their non matchyness :) Great post, I soooo get ya!

sew obsessed said...

Those pillows look so soft I think we all may be in need of a couple!
I quite agree about the pressures of Xmas.
I also think the long long build up to xmas doesn't help, especially with young kids who see the 1st lot of decorations arriving in stores in September and then have to wait so long before the big day, such a build up!
Anyway I hope you do have a lovely xmas and that the pressure is well worth it x

**nicke... said...

love them katy! i need to order myself some flannel before it is all gone, or the sale ends!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive