Sunday, 22 January 2012

californian cherries

made in cherry

I joined in with the made in cherry quilt along over on Chelsea's blog. Mainly because I loved the pattern from the moment I saw it at quilt market this fall, and also because Sarah Fielke designed it, and I love her to bits. The original pattern is for an 80" square quilt, but Chelsea has resized it so you can make a 90" or a 60" if you fancied making something bigger or smaller. I'm going smaller, there are already way too many big quilts in this house. For the 60" size you need 8 fat quarters of fabric. Oh, how very handy that I'd just picked a summery selection of 8 fat quarters for a Fat Quarterly bundle in Lola Pink Fabrics' store. In fact, I'd picked the bundle just before I saw the quilt along, and I knew that they'd be perfect for this project. The girls at Lola Pink mailed them over to me and I started cutting. Then I started piecing. The quilt so far took me half a day. So it's great for a nice easy weekend project. It comes together so beautifully, and so easily. Just squares and a few triangles for the edges of the star points. Now I'll cut my background (I'm using a white klona cotton from Alice's shop) and hopefully by the end of the day this baby will be ready for quilting (myself- it's only small, I can handle this size without crying too much).

Oh look - it's ready for quilting!!! That was fast. Actually it was fast - this came together so easily. I know I said that already, but it really does.

made in cherry quilt along top

I'm re-naming my quilt Californian Cherries - the zingy colours remind me of the sunny skies in California. Sipping a cocktail by the roof pool in some ultra hip hotel in LA. I did that once. But actually I had iced tea, not a cocktail, because I'm really not very rock n roll.

Fat Quarterly bundle from Lola Pink Fabrics

You can get your own Fat Quarterly 'Californian Cherries' bundle from here from next week (I'll let you know when it's in the shop) I think the girls are going to kit it too so you can make your own Made in Cherry quilt like this one, if you wanted to of course, I'm not even going to pretend you should make one just because I did, but you should make one because it's so fun to put together and so easy (did I mention that already?) and just so lovely!

33 comments:

elsy said...

those colours just sing dont they? just whats needed on such a dreary day....well done

Katy Cameron said...

Ooooh, fab colours, love how cheery it is! I had fears that with all those wee squares it would take forever to make, but maybe I should try tackling it at some point after all

two hippos said...

a fabulous star quilt!

Fran said...

Love this idea so much!! Best of all, I have the perfect fabric so can't wait to get going...

Theresa said...

What is so awesome about this pattern is that it looks like more than just eight fabrics!

Antònia said...

It is a wonder of star !!!!!!!!!

Flying Blind... said...

Gorgeous!!

**nicke... said...

lovely! i want to put mine together this week! and you, not rock n roll, you had me fooled... ;)

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

Oh, it's so pretty!!!

Jill aka ThatMoxieGirl Designs said...

Gorgeous! Great colors. I'm in love.

Needled Mom said...

Very pretty and cheery!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

I saw that quilt along but the size of the blocks scare me! Yours looks great though!

Randi Skaggs said...

Lovely! So happy and sunshiney on these gray winter days!

Catherine said...

this looks great, very cheerful!

Julie said...

Wonderful colours......would like to visit California one day! I need to get my act together and get cutting, I'm way behind. Juliex

Sarah@PingsAndNeedles said...

so zingy - love it !!

This pattern is just great - it's next on my list after my superswoon ...

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Beautiful! Just the dose of cheery that one needs in January!

Terri said...

ahh see... if I was caught up on blog reading I would know that fabric from flickr :)
I just love this color pallet. Stink'n Awesome Sauce

Barb in Mi said...

Oooh, just beautiful!
Your post inspired me to check in my stash, found a Hometown FQ pack and by now all squares are cut. Thanks for pointing out the 60x60 size - it's perfect!

Anina said...

Wow! I love it! So happy and bright!

Kelly said...

Love it! The fabrics are so happy, just what you need for a dreary January cheerup :)

kerrypuddy said...

Now on my long list of things to do this year!

Richard Healey said...

I can see how you fell in love with it. It is a nice quilt and have added it too my pinned list of things I want to try.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com

traceyjay said...

it is so lovely! :)
(But California isn't too sunny at the moment... though we need the rain, so it's OK!)

Annabella said...

Looks gorgeous! Love the palette you have used.

H2Ogirl said...

lovely!

Poppyprint said...

speedy smartypants. that's you.

Lexi said...

Wow. It's just gorgeous. That's on my list too, but I'm hammering away at the Swoon quilt. How on earth have you got the time to do all these.... Can't wait to see it finished, you've inspired my fabric selections by adding extra colours not just keeping it monotone. Thanks ;)

Elena said...

Very nice! Such bright, springy colors!

Now I have to ask, how often are you ironing seams as you piece? I feel like the ironing process slows me down quite a bit. I just don't see myself being able to sew/iron all these patches in just half a day. Maybe I should also turn off the tv? :)

Archie the wonder dog said...

Fabulous!

Jules said...

seriously!, you are speedy!. you are ahead of me on this one. but i am a beginner so it's ok. i love your "californian cherries"

Suz said...

Just wondering if there was a reason you used 1/2 square triangles instead of 1/4 square triangles for the background triangles?

Chelsea said...

oh wow, that's like a trip to tahiti! just what I need in blah january!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive