Monday, 2 January 2012

last top of the year (or first of the new year?)

giant velveteen star

I made a quilt a bit like this from 10" layer cake squares and added borders and stuff a year or so ago (but never took a pic because I didn't like the fabrics). Jeni made a big one, using vintage sheets cut into FQs and I was sucked into making one of my own using her wonderful tutorial. Oh I LOVE it. It was so simple, it took a day. And by cutting the half square triangles like this - from 16 FQs you end up with enough for 2 quilts, so that's even better. I am making one for a friend and one for me. Yay yay yay.
The fabrics are all Anna Maria Horner velveteens (both LouLouThi and Innocent Crush). They're a bit weird to sew. You need to make sure you have a generous seam allowance, and I also serged the seams of each row. I think on quilt 2 I'll serge all the seams (I say serge, but I mean zigzag stitch them). It frays a heap. A bit like flannels. And it's heavy, and bulky so I don't think it'd work well with anything using small bits. Never the less, it hasn't put me off using them again, because the handle is so lovely and they feel really decadent. Like I should be lying in bed with a bottle of champagne and a huge box of chocolates.
This quilt finishes up about 68" square. I think the second one (which will be for me) I'll add a border or 2 to make it extra big and to use up some of the extra bits of velveteen I have leftover. Maybe. I might not. It does look really pretty as is, I think.

I bought the fabrics from here at Fabricpalooza (on sale, still!) and here at Mira and Westie. The background is (my forever favourite) Timeless Treasures Screen in charcoal from Fat Quarter shop.

31 comments:

Quiltjane said...

I love it. How will you quilt it?

Catherine said...

oooh, that is lovely. I have also just finished mine (well need to sew the rows together but that won't take long) I also used Jennis tute: lovely and easy. Love your colours

Flying Blind... said...

Totally love it x

Sarah@Pings&Needles said...

ooh ... another impending WIP Thanks a bunch Katy!! *sigh... it may just fit the bill for a wedding gift ... woot!

This is wonderful wonderful wonderful ... I love the idea of the feel of the velveteens but me and fraying?? ... well, let's just say I go all Incredible Hulk!

BLONDEDESIGN said...

Wonderful, think I may have to give that one a go also!! Kxx

ScissorsandThread said...

Gorgeousness!

Sew Quine said...

looks gorgeous, I've been eyeing up those velveteens but not taken the plunge yet.

thanks for the link to the tute it's ideal for the bundle of Loulouthi I have waiting to be used.

Must finish WIP first though.

Caitlin T. said...

Gorgeous! I love the idea of enlarging a quilt block so that it becomes the entire top. I'll have to try that out this year!

Mandalin said...

Complete velveteen yumminess! I'm loving big hst's. I'm making a crazy 9" (finished) hst quilt at present, with Sis Boom West Indies. Such fun!

Reene@Nellie's Niceties said...

Fabulous! Gotta love a quick but gorgeous quilt! I'm all for instant gratification :-)

Katy Cameron said...

Ooh, that looks fab, and I can imagine it feels gorgeous too!

Sarah said...

Arrrggh stopppit Katy! It was so SO hard to resist the sale the last time, its gonna be EVEN HARDER now.... Beeeeeautiful quilt, and OMG I bet it feels LUSH.

Manda said...

Ooo its beautiful! :)

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

That is so scrummy!!! Gorgeous fabrics :)

Tids said...

Oh wow! That is sooo beautiful. I'm digging through my fabrics as we speak!

diane said...

fun and beautiful and a fast finish make this a must do for me too!

Lexi said...

I wasn't going to comment, I was just going to see what other people said. But you kind of insist with your prompting on the comment form. I made the same quilt and totally love it too. I showed my kids yours and they couldn't believe we made the same quilt and that it was on the computer. Fascinating. I really love reading your blog. You are inspiring and sometimes blunt (down to earth maybe, don't be offended by blunt, to the point, concise and effective...) but that makes you so much more inspiring. I hope 2012 is a wonderful year for you and I really look forward to seeing your next years worth of creations! Lexi, in Australia, that's my excuse.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Loverly....

How does the velveteen mix with the cotton in the background?

Lindsey said...

I loveloveloveLOVE that quilt top!! I can't wait to see it finished.

Amy Gibson said...

Oh I love the simplicity of it!!!! A hot modern star top in a day? LOVE IT!

Jules said...

oh i love it! and in velveteen mmm.

Kaye Prince said...

This is super-awesome Katy! I haven't even touched the velveteen yet - unfortunately it's a bit out of my budget - but I'm sure that quilt feels really lovely! I have been thinking about using Jeni's tutorial too and now I think I might need to get a jump on! Thanks for the inspiration (and kick in the pants) darling!

Archie the wonder dog said...

Beautiful!

Amorette said...

this is amazing- i love the dark jewel tones.

Anna said...

ooo, I love it! the dark background is particularly stunning.

goletagirlwendy said...

Beautiful star!!!!!

Jacey said...

So luxurious! I love thee quilt, and I, too, have been dreaming of one since seeing Jeni's tutorial. Hopefully, this will be the year!

Kirsten N said...

Beautiful Katy!! I love e Giant Starflowers and have made 2 of them already!

Tracey Rampling (The Peony Teacup) said...

I love those swoon blocks done with the Rouennieres Deux - gorgeous!

Bingaling said...

Oh how I love it!! I have a question for you, though...how do you plan to quilt it? I would love to make a quilt with some velveteen fabrics, but what is stopping me so far is wondering how to quilt it. I don't want to invest in the velveteen fabric (since they are considerably expensive), but then ruin it when quilting. I'd love to hear how you plan to quilt yours (and would love some photos when its finished)!

Liane R. said...

I LOVE this! Just found your blog. Definitely a new fan!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive