Friday, 20 January 2012

the scraptastical swoon

The swoon along is going amazingly well. So many blocks popping up in flickr. I randomly picked out nine from the group pool to make a mosaic. There were so many to choose from, this mosaic took me forever. In the end I just had to click randomly and stop oohing and aahing over all the amazing work. So many different fabric combos, so many wonderful blocks. I love them all so much - it's amazing that one block can look so different. (click on the mosaic and it'll take you to the credits for the pics).

examples from the group pool this week

My own quilt is coming along really nicely, I'm so pleased with how it looks so far. I said I'd be back with one block this week. Well, they're pretty addictive once you start, so I made two. Oops. I also said this was my Friday project, well, I've been doing a bit a day. Just sewing a few more half square triangles, or flying geese. It's fun to do mindless chain piecing. It really is (I think so anyway). My blocks are scrappy. It actually makes my head hurt planning out where the scraps need to go so I don't end up with too many of one fabric leftover for block nine. I've decided I'd quite like to try the regular blocks too, so I might make a couple of pillows for my bed. That's if I don't go crazy making this quilt first.

week one's swoon blocks

You can still come and join us over in the flickr group and make your own swoon quilt. You can get the pattern either from Fat Quartershop or direct from Camille's shop. It's a download, so you can get it super fast. The group is almost at 500 members now (can you believe it? I can't!) and there's loads of helpful hints and advice going on. There's no real end date, there's no real start date - just head over and join in if you want to make a swoon quilt and do it at your own pace. I'd love to have you.
Maybe you're daunted by the size of the quilt? It is 80 inches square, so it's a pretty big undertaking quilting wise (I think I'll send mine out, although I'd like to think I'd quilt it myself, in all honesty I know I'm not patient enough. It's my birthday in March so I'm asking everyone in my family for quilting money!) Just a single block framed makes a perfect baby quilt, like this one in the pic below (by Emedoodle). I think I'd like to make a few of these. You could even make them double sided, a block on each side. One side in darks (night time) and one bright (day time). My imagination is running away with me now, possibly. But I think it'd make such a cute baby shower gift all tied up in a big bow (yes, one of my friends is pregnant and I am doing that whole 'what can I make her' thing all the time!).

Baby quit for Mina!

What have I learned this week from making my blocks? Concentration is required. The beauty of this kind of piecing is you have to think about it. It's not tricky but it's precise and all those pieces fit in a certain way like a jigsaw. I've read and re-read the instructions a million times over. My points are a little squiffy, I could have trimmed down my sections better and made them fit, I could have used more pins and not tried to rush a little. My next block I'll try and be better. I've never managed to make perfect flying geese but for the first time ever I've come pretty darn close with these, and it's an amazing feeling. Like a personal mountain. Half square triangles I can do all day - I love them, they're my favourite type of block unit, all the trimming down and the magical way 2 squares make 4 triangles (yes, I'm easily pleased). Geese have never been fun. Maybe once all my blocks are trimmed and sashed I'll think differently, but I think I'm going to have most of them fully intact - with pointy points. First Time Ever.

25 comments:

diane said...

You chose some really special blocks. With 500 members I have a heck of a time just looking at everyone's blocks. And your blocks are really pretty

Kimberly said...

All the blocks are amazing aren't they? I LOVE your scrappy blocks... I posted one too in the pool and it was my favorite that I'd ever made. Even on their own, the Swoons are the perfect mini quilt. Thanks again for putting this group together... it was a great idea!

Christine @ Punkin Handmades said...

I'm loving this Swoon-Along, I'm having so much fun and it is such great motivation to work on my quilt! Your scrappy Habitat blocks are amazing! Thanks for showcasing one of my blocks!

UBee said...

When I was there last, we hit over 500 (505 at the time)! Crazy!! Thank you again for starting this; it has been a real motivator for me. I am still waiting for my background fabric to arrive (there was a problem with my first order... I am going to die waiting! But have been cutting out my other fabrics while I wait.

Your blocks are lovely, and I am really loving all of the variety!!!

Kerry said...

Big credit to you Katy for kicking this off! 500+ is amazing, you have inspired a whole lot of people. I would never have done this quilt without the group- made 1 and I loved doing it and the group threads were so useful

Two Wednesdays said...

They're gorgeous aren't they? I love how they make fabrics "go" that you wouldn't necessarily have thought of as ideal pairs when in FQ's - and that large scale prints look fantastic in it.

Flying Blind... said...

Wait for me - hoping for a Constellation finish this weekend!!

SewHappyGeek said...

I've had such a good time choosing and re choosing my fabrics for this. So glad you started the group! Thanks a mill Katy.
Oh yeah, getting to know you a tiny bit via Twitter has been fun too. :)

Sarah@PingsAndNeedles said...

Really amazing inspiration to be found in the flickr group. it's fantastic.

Such a great idea to do this Katy ... look at the response! Over 500 of us frustrated impatient sewists being tamed by the triangle. Love it!

And your Habitat scrappiness is wonderful. 100% you. I love it.

Might just have to cut my block today, even if I don't sew it. My brain is still mushy with cold and I don't want to risk tears before lunchtime! I love that hypnotic concentration, but only when I'm firing on all cylinders!

Thanks so much Katy for opening up such a great meeting place of talent!

Freddie said...

I really like the scrappy swoon blocks. I look forward to seeing more.

Spoolhardy Girl said...

Out of all the amazing blocks in the flickr pool, the scrappy ones have stolen my heart. When I finish my Swoon, I'm going to take a loooooong vacation on a small Caribbean island. THEN I will begin again on a scraptastic Swoon!

Kasey said...

I'll be joining soon... been on the fence, but the LQS sent me a coupon for an online order, so you know I had to use it on something! Hoping it will arrive Saturday so I can start swooning!

Auntie Pami said...

I've gotten several Flurry blocks done, but had to clean off the sewing table. Think the dog (er, cats) ate my homework. Can't locate them. But, no worries, I want to make more. I had a few blocks that I ripped out several times. Wonder if I should make all the sub blocks first?

bearpaw said...

I love that single one the best - looks really Amish. I am too rubbish at 'precise' to try this right now - maybe a workshop at FQlondon will help me!

Jules said...

it's amazing how the fabric choices change the look of the block so much. Yet they are all so beautiful. You really could just swoon away for the rest of your life and not get bored. I love the idea of the light and dark baby swoon quilt, might borrow that idea ;).

Anna said...

love yours! and your ideas about the baby quilt, that is so so cool sounding. Mine will be the first quilt I'll be sending out to have quilted, I'm excited! Just 3 blocks left for me, hope to finish them over the weekend. :)

Busty LaRue said...

Just joined in and I'm so excited!! I kind of like the idea of doing baby quilts out of a single block. I have lots of friends having babies, so it's the perfect sized project for me to do for them while using up some of my stash. :)

Jacey said...

Your scrappy blocks are lots of fun! And nearing pointy perfection. Woohoo!

Shelley said...

Love your scrappy blocks and I'm having a blast checking out the Flickr group! Can't believe that there's over 500 participants!

Can't wait for the mailman to bring my fabric so that I can start already. It's killing me to know that it's out on the truck for delivery ... :)

Katy Cameron said...

Ooh, love all the different blocks that are coming out of this! This is on my to do at some point list, but I'll sit back and enjoy watching you all in the meantime!

**nicke... said...

you are awesome! i love your blocks! i want a scrappy swoon.

emedoodle said...

:) Thanks for including my quilt - I'm loving the tips that are flying around that swoon group! :)

Glenda said...

Oh please.... carry me out!! How beautiful. And a swoon along? Where have I been? What have I been doing?
It looks like so much fun.... I'll be back.....thank you, thank you.

sewkatiedid said...

Oh love the one with the Mendocino. Always wondering what to do with that line.

Nanette Merrill said...

Your take on Camille's block is lovely. That block is simply everywhere.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive