Monday, 16 January 2012

starting as I mean to go on...

first finish of 2012!

2012 is my year of productivity. Yeh right. She says that every year. I want to get WIPs finished rather than sat around doing nothing. Whether that's so I can use the quilts or give them away as gifts, I'm sick of seeing half finished stuff cluttering up my studio. This quilt was started last year, and then left as just a few blocks as I got distracted (as usual). My best friend asked me to make a quilt for a friend of hers who was expecting a baby. The only stipulation was that she's not a fan of colour. Yikes. That's not my kind of deal at all. I am not a neutrals person, you only have to walk into my house to know I'm a fan of jewel tones and bold prints. I remembered these blocks and thought I could finish this up and it should be perfect. There's a little touch of colour amongst all the neutrals.
Before you think it's the not yet released Summersville - it's not, it's Lu's screenprinted fabrics from her etsy shop.

summersville

I used this as wadding. It's a fusible on both sides bamboo blend batting. It was quite tricky to find, in the end I got it from here, it arrived really fast considering it came from the US and via Amazon.
So, what did I think of fusi-boo?

fusi-boo

For small quilts like this one, and pillows, etc it's great. You have to layer the quilt sandwich and then set the fusible stuff with a steam iron. My ironing board is a pretty decent size, and for this size quilt it worked ok but for something bigger I think it'd be tricky, if not impossible to get a flat result all over without bubbles or puckers. It worked best when I worked from the centre out, like the instructions say to do, and then when I'd fused it from the front, flipping the quilt over and doing the same on the back. Smoothing out from the centre to the edges as I went. I also popped a safety pin in each corner, just to hold the edges a little better.
Once basted the quilt was stiff. Rather like the effect with basting spray, so quilting on a regular domestic machine with the edges rolled up wasn't a problem for this size, but on a larger quilt that stiffness might be problematic. Time was against me, I had an evening to get the quilt finished with quilting and binding, so I quilted in organic lines spaced approximately 2" apart. I'd have liked to have it more densely quilted, but any more and I'd have been sat up all night binding!
The batting smelled a little bit funny, not unpleasant, but not lovely either. I guess that was the glue because once I washed it the smell was gone. After washing, the quilt was wrinkled up just perfectly (all the photos are after washing), and was a lovely drape. The weight is similar to a warm and natural cotton batting - nice and light (which is my preferred weight, I don't like a lot of loft).

I added a little label (thank you again Julie for your tutorial and for making these for me because you know I'm a dork. Love you heaps xxx) that was framed with some leftover strips, and bound with kona snow (I added one tiny square of summersville to break it up).

labelling

The baby (girl) was born this weekend. I hope she gets many years of use out of the quilt. I always feel a little nervous making quilts for people I don't really know, but fingers crossed it gets used to death and not just shoved in a closet!

Quilt deets -
finished size 48" x 48"
fabrics used - a variety of neutral kona cottons by Robert Kaufman, Summersville screenprint fabrics by Lucie Summers

19 comments:

Michelle said...

How could they not love colour? Poor baby - certainly won't be visually stimulated very much in that house! Thank God for your quilt - it's gorgeous, and perfect for a little one.

Laura @ Needles, Pins and Baking Tins said...

Lovely! And who doesnt like colour?? Crazy person!

Manda said...

Beautiful! I don't understand the dislike of colour either!?

randi--i have to say said...

what a lovely quilt!

safieh said...

Love the quilt, but I know what you mean about neutrals sometimes being tricky. I think you came up with a lovely finish for a lucky girl. You should link up to our 12 Quilts in '12 challenge at the end of the month!

Thanks for the fusiboo review. I have beep skeptical, but I might get some to try with small quilts!

aksherry said...

I think the quilt is great. I LOVE color, but this is a great quilt for someone who doesn't like color.

**nicke... said...

i really love it katy. it is the perfect quilt for someone who doesn't love color.

Katy Cameron said...

Hee hee, love the idea of something called Fusi-boo (I'm so easily amused :oD ) Looks great though, sure it will be well used

Catherine said...

what a fabulous quilt, especially as a non-colour kind of quilt

Richard Healey said...

I have been looking for a labels. In fact just went looked at the tutorial. Ordered some labels. Woot they are on the way. Sad thing is I have to wait tell they get here.

My wife is a blaw color person too she would love that quilt. Me I want to spice it up some.

http//richardquilts.blogspot.com

Jacey said...

It's a lovely quilt. I'm a similar fan of color as you, but this is beautiful! I'm sure it will be loved. Your new labels are awesome!

Two Owls said...

I'm another colour-lover but that is a beautiful quilt - lucky baby!

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

I think this is so beautiful! I love the neutrals and that gorgeous printed fabric! Great label too

Rachel said...

Hey, it came out beautiful! It has color...it just isn't bright...I love it!

Mandalin said...

That quilt is sure to be loved! Babies don't see very much colour straight off, so when she does, each colour in there will be highlighted for her beautifully!!!

Archie the wonder dog said...

Such a great quilt for someone who doesn't like colour (I know a few...I find them puzzling!) and I'm sure it will be well used.

diane said...

I really like this quilt. I think the mix of neutrals is really calming for a baby.

cinzia said...

this is lovely! The neutrals are great!

folkhaven said...

The balance of color to neutral to me is perfect! I really like this quilt. The colorful fabric squares have such interesting prints on them. I am so impressed that you quilted and binded it all in one night. You work much faster than I can!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive